Status
Not open for further replies.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Looking forward to the first debate between the 2 x candidates later this morning (it's scheduled for about 10:45 AM local time). I suspect that it will be personal - but I hope that there will be a focus on policy. Again, I fear that the message will be confused; entertainment versus information!

Anyhow, with 10 % of voters reported to be in the "uncertain" category, I'm not sure how influential these debates will be for the November event -seems to be more like a blood-sport than a bone-fide attempt to sway political voter opinion. Hope I'm wrong!!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Since the debate is in Cleveland Ohio might I interest you in a tour?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Saying the words " Can I be honest" does this not imply all other words are dishonest?

;)

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
I don't know about you, but I've made up my mind who I'm voting for this year after this debate.

#Wallace2020

• Haha
Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@PetrolDave Dave: with the caveat that we are both foreigners, I must agree - full of invective and personal abuse by both candidates albeit if I had to make a distinction in performance, I would characterize Trump debating style as bullying and Biden's as totally lack luster!
Is this what US citizens are expecting; a choice for the least worse candidate, rather than a vote for the best possible POTUS?

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Stand back and stand by" what does this really mean?

Are more fires coming?

We will be back right after these messages?

Who's on first?

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
I don't know about you, but I've made up my mind who I'm voting for this year after this debate.

#Wallace2020
Never been a fan of Chris, personally. Had some amusing moments last night though.

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
@PetrolDave Dave: with the caveat that we are both foreigners, I must agree - full of invective and personal abuse by both candidates albeit if I had to make a distinction in performance, I would characterize Trump debating style as bullying and Biden's as totally lack luster!
Is this what US citizens are expecting; a choice for the least worse candidate, rather than a vote for the best possible POTUS?

Don
There is always a silver lining if you huntf or it:). It seems then that our guys (Canada) aren't that bad. OTOH I wonder about cultivating opinions about foreign leaders.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I wonder about cultivating opinions about foreign leaders.
Since I have a step-son, step-daughter-in-law and 2 step-grandchildren living in MA I have a vested interest in US politics so I'm claiming that gives me a right to have an opinion on POTUS :cool:

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
Never been a fan of Chris, personally. Had some amusing moments last night though.

He's a pretty tough guy in interviews, doesn't let slippery politicians get off too easily with their typical non-answers. And he's not such a partisan hack like most of the rest of the Fox News on-air personalities.

I've grown to like him a fair bit.

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
He's a pretty tough guy in interviews, doesn't let slippery politicians get off too easily with their typical non-answers. And he's not such a partisan hack like most of the rest of the Fox News on-air personalities.

I've grown to like him a fair bit.
Seems pretty easy on Joe Biden in all the pieces I've seen him do with Biden or someone who's part of the Biden campaign. I don't really dislike the guy, but frankly he's always struck me as Fox's token liberal. I thought he handled the debate pretty well last night all things considered, but the questions seemed to be more geared with the intention of setting Trump up to be deliberately on the defensive. For the most part, Trump had to go out of his way to be able to talk about something that would be a beneficial talking point for him. All-in-all I don't mind, but let's be real, the debates held by CNN and whomever else is hosting one are absolutely going to be incredibly biased.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Seems pretty easy on Joe Biden in all the pieces I've seen him do with Biden or someone who's part of the Biden campaign. I don't really dislike the guy, but frankly he's always struck me as Fox's token liberal. I thought he handled the debate pretty well last night all things considered, but the questions seemed to be more geared with the intention of setting Trump up to be deliberately on the defensive. For the most part, Trump had to go out of his way to be able to talk about something that would be a beneficial talking point for him. All-in-all I don't mind, but let's be real, the debates held by CNN and whomever else is hosting one are absolutely going to be incredibly biased.

Mike: hmm......... I'm less familiar with the political leanings of the moderator and I'm less concerned about CNN'S supposed "fake-news" bias - but do you really believe that a politician of any sort is constrained in his/her responses in these debates by the the content of the questions posed?

I'm aware that lots of Republican voters view Mr Trump as not being a typical politician and in some ways they are correct - but is it reasonable to assume that Trump won't use exactly the same political survival techniques as all others before him in these debates?

Yes, in a ideal world it would be great if politicians honestly answered the actual content of the moderator's question - but IMHO, neither candidate in the debate did this (as evidenced by the number of times that the moderator had to intervene to remind the candidates of the question).

Usually, politicians use these questions as a vague hook to connect their responses to some aspect of their party's policy - it's called "staying on message" down here. But even this dynamic wasn't obvious in the debate (not to me- at least). The entire event just appeared to be a blood sport in which there could only be one clear observation; Biden allowed himself to be driven by Trump's harangue and he was entirely unable to counter Trump's bullying style!

IMO, of course - this is probably the only clear take-out from the debate; Biden's weakness against Trump's overbearing dominance (and, no - overbearing dominance is NOT a "strength")!!

Don
PS: How many times did Biden use the phrase "here's the deal" - and why (is he attempting to counter Trump's reputation as a deal maker)?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back