Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Successful C7 0B5 Clutch Calibration MY2013

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most likely related to inadequate PSI from oil viscosity change under load and high heat.
    OP:
    Did you consider to try a heavier fluid to make up for worn mechanical components and additional cooler?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    35 Gearbox malfunction message in cluster (DTCs P17D800, P179D00, P174000)

There are a lot of extended EODB II codes, there are normally a letter then 4 numbers, why do they show 6?

I thought I had asked this question before but I can't find it.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    There are a lot of extended EODB II codes, there are normally a letter then 4 numbers, why do they show 6?
    You may wish to review the latest SAE/ISO specifications for these.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems this gremlin has returned since September 2019. In October I took the plunge and changed out the two circuit packs on the DSG module - I had the factory "books" as a guide and followed that meticulously along with fresh oil, filter, strainer and new link pipes with O-rings etc. The external connector was bone dry. I did the clutch calibration sequence again and all was good for about another 1k miles until changes started getting clunky again - mostly noticeable on the transition from 1st to standstill or pulling away.

A couple weeks back it went it full limp-mode (wife was driving and reported bad smell with it as well) with only R-2-4-6 available and same single code showing:

Monday,16,December,2019,14:59:40:30756
    VCDS Version Release 19.6.2 Running on Windows 7 x86(Parallels)
    www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 0B5-927-156.clb
    Control Module Part Number: 4G0 927 156 S HW: 0B5 927 156 F
    Component and/or Version: 0B5 30 TDIRdW H10 0004
    Software Coding: 000001
    Work Shop Code: WSC 02391 785 00200
    ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDL501 A02196 (AU57)
    ROD: EV_TCMDL501.rod
    VCID: BC34B05C371303AF3B-80E9
    1 Fault Found:

8955 - Valve 3 in Transmission Part 1
    P17D4 00 [101] - Mechanical Malfunction
    Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 40
    Mileage: 160110 km
    Date: 2019.12.16
    Time: 13:50:37

Engine speed: 781 /min
    Transmission input speed: 781 /min
    Transmission output speed: 0 /min
    Engine torque: -8 Nm
    Transmission fluid temperature: 84 C
    Accelerator position: 0.0 %
    Clutch status: Beide Kupplungen offen

The car sat for couple weeks over the holidays and drove pretty well perfect after that but still heavy sometimes in/out of 1st.

I have had the car at the dealer to see if their machines can find anything that I cannot or point more clearly at a DSG or clutch problem. I also had them analyse the oil. The oil check came back clean and they also have no fault found... so I am not really any further on.

My logic says that if the clutch pack was toast then it would always shift heavily - or at least consistently badly on say 1-3-5. While the fault code calls out a mechanical issue I can't help wonder if its the actual solenoid valve that controls one plane of the clutch pack and when oil temps get higher (we only get issues when in stop/start traffic) which has some intermittent problem.

Does anyone have any experience to determine if fault code P17D4 00 points to failure of specific solenoid or early failure of the clutch pack ?

I wonder is it also worth trying the clutch adaptation sequence(s) with elevated ATF oil temps - anybody got good or bad experience with that ?

Post Thanks / Like
    8955 - Valve 3 in Transmission Part 1
    P17D4 00 [101] - Mechanical Malfunction
    Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Freeze Frame:

Huh?

Cold or HOT?

Transmission fluid temperature: 84 C
    This implies during warm-up phase no?

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 01-07-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Huh?

Cold or HOT?

This implies during warm-up phase no?
    When I pulled that code the car had been parked up for an hour approx - after the wife had reported it clunking and smelling bad. On the drive home it went into limp mode after approx 5 miles with R-2-4-6 available which aligns with a fault on 'part 1' - even after I tried to clear code again with VCDS. Parked up the car for two weeks and it then drove fine... except for a handful of ugly start & stop transitions when up to temperature. Never gives grief when ATF oil is cold. deffo used correct oil & quantity and there is no contamination - confirmed by dealer today.

The dealership will not point finger at clutch pack or mechatronic unit at this point - especially as they cannot provoke a fault code.

Looking at the applicable SSP (429), I could theorise that solenoid valve N435 (for clutch K1 valve) is the root cause of the problem but I have not been able to source replacements - even horrible pattern parts from China. I don't really want to waste ~8 liters of liquid gold ATF and half a day of my life replacing that on a 'maybe'.
    Last edited by nugentp; 01-07-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have emailed maktrans.net for any advice they may share or guidance on pricing for replacement N435 valve. I did find one other thread on Audizine where another 0B5 owner fixed this fault by swapping N435 & N439 over and renewing N472 (main pressure valve).

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you think it needs a Mech and clutches if you smelled something sir!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Don't you think it needs a Mech and clutches if you smelled something sir!
    Thats the thing - i wasn't driving it when the alleged smell occurred - for all I know it coincided with some stinky DPF regen eco nonsense but the wife is telling me it had a very different smell to that - more like hot / burning plastic fumes. I don't have any clue what ATF temp was when this happened but it wasn't high enough to store a code. On both occasions when this fault code came up the smell was also present.

If the clutch was bad or excessively worn surely we would get far more frequent harsh changes hot or cold. My thinking is that an intermittent issue with N435 (or maybe N471 or N472) when ATF oil is hot causes the harsh clutch engagement in/out of 1st especially. The intermittent nature here leads me to it being one of those pesky hard to source solenoids. I will have to consider the Maktrans option of buying a replacement mechatronic unit - all new/refurbished solenoids - comes without the controller that I would swap over from the OE module - do all the adaptations and see where that goes.

However I still have niggling doubt that it could be the clutch pack which is much more time intensive job to replace. Audi doesn't want to advise either way yet unless they see something on their diagnostics which is more meaningful than the ambiguous P17D400 code.

Post Thanks / Like
    OKAY LETS WAIT UNTIL IT COMPLETELY BLOWS UP INSTEAD?