Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear brake calipers wont bleed

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could running the abs output test (bleed procedure)? At least the valves will be actuated then.
    Current:
    2018 Tiguan AD Highline 2.0 BiTDI 240hp > Stage 1+ 328hp
    2016 Polo 6C Highline 1.0 TSI 105hp

2. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did that 3 times today. And the basic settings procedure 3 times. I finally maxed out basic settings prompte. It ended with “partial venting finished.” Never once prompting to open the rear bleeders. Has anyone ever read the prompts for a mk4 abs/edl/asr basic settings bleed test? I’d like to know exactly what other people are seeing.

Also, others suggested that i take the car out and hammer the living crap out of the abs system. I did that until i completely lost all brake function, limped home with the e-brake and rebled. Luckily i was only a block from home. Not sure if i overheated the pads or what. Bled all four corners. The rears seemed to bleed with a bit more effort than they should. I managed to squeeze some fluid out of them. Theres still air in there. Then i ran out of my 4th can of fluid (yes ive been recycling the fluid that comes out, but not all of it can be reused (me letting some sit out overnight after working 10 hrs then coming home to this mess, i forget to pour fluid back in the can sometimes)).

I’ll try the same procedure again tomorrow after bleeding again. Maybe i wont lose all brake function like today. Not sure what happened. Came back, inspected for leaks, not even a residue anywhere. Fluid level was where it was when i left. Perhaps some air got purged from the ABS or master cylinder. This method is extremely dangerous but it seems like its getting some results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old school way (with person in car and pumping) to bleed is:

1. Rear right end (longest way from master cil.)

2. Front left

3. Rear left

4. Front right

This method work even with gravity. In special case, with broken bleed screw, piston move max forward, close to the edge, fill inside with fluid and with tool move piston full backward. Fluid with air must purge through reservoir.

But if we haven't fluid flow to rear usually tell us about some problem. :/
    Last edited by Boki Ar; 07-03-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I solved the issue by replacing the 3rd bad ABS unit with another one from the junkyard being careful to snip the hoses instead of undoing them at the yard, installing the unit and NOT doing anything through VCDS. I got lucky. I still have no clue as to why all of the ABS modules i installed prior were faulty.

If i have time, i will hydraulically seperate the solenoids and their internal parts and inspect them for corrosion.

6. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brake fluid exposed to air deteriorates rapidly. If someone takes a caliper or a master cylinder and leaves everything hanging, the pump will be dead in weeks/months.
    Current:
    2018 Tiguan AD Highline 2.0 BiTDI 240hp > Stage 1+ 328hp
    2016 Polo 6C Highline 1.0 TSI 105hp

8. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTommy View Post
    Brake fluid exposed to air deteriorates rapidly. If someone takes a caliper or a master cylinder and leaves everything hanging, the pump will be dead in weeks/months.
    Indeed, and that is why brake components (those that hold fluid come sealed with SELL BY dates.