2008 2.0t B7 Audi A4 noisy or groaning cooling fan

two4twentysam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=365023
Ive been working on a TRaction control and CEL issue for a while but that seems to be going fairly well at the moment. Living in Seattle it hasnt been too hot accept for a few days. I was running the AC about two weeks ago and noticed a groaning noise. it was hard to tell at first what was making the noise. Seems to be the large fan on the drivers side. If I shut the car off with the AC running and get to the front of the car before the Large fans stops spinning i can hear it. When its spinning with the car and AC on the fan shroud flexes quite a bit or wobbles. Im guessing the fan is off balance or the bearings are bad. I was hoping someone could help my verify that. Not too many videos floating around on fan replacement for my 08 but im guessing that's the direction ill be headed. Ive read a few different posts on different fan issues. How would you describe the way the fan should feel when spinning it freehand? Should it have some resistance or no resistance? Without the car running should they both feel somewhat the same? Ive inspected the blades and they look ok. ill be inspecting closer tonight when im home. I didn't want to go exploding my front end until i was more sure thats the issue. Thanks for the help in advance.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving to General VW/Audi Repair, since the questions appear unrelated to VCDS in any way.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Come on man, either secure the fan or assembly from rattling or change the fan due to imbalance, no?

two4twentysam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=365023
Thanks i forgot where i was at when i started the post

Back