Thread: 2008 2.0t B7 Audi A4 noisy or groaning cooling fan

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

2008 2.0t B7 Audi A4 noisy or groaning cooling fan

Ive been working on a TRaction control and CEL issue for a while but that seems to be going fairly well at the moment. Living in Seattle it hasnt been too hot accept for a few days. I was running the AC about two weeks ago and noticed a groaning noise. it was hard to tell at first what was making the noise. Seems to be the large fan on the drivers side. If I shut the car off with the AC running and get to the front of the car before the Large fans stops spinning i can hear it. When its spinning with the car and AC on the fan shroud flexes quite a bit or wobbles. Im guessing the fan is off balance or the bearings are bad. I was hoping someone could help my verify that. Not too many videos floating around on fan replacement for my 08 but im guessing that's the direction ill be headed. Ive read a few different posts on different fan issues. How would you describe the way the fan should feel when spinning it freehand? Should it have some resistance or no resistance? Without the car running should they both feel somewhat the same? Ive inspected the blades and they look ok. ill be inspecting closer tonight when im home. I didn't want to go exploding my front end until i was more sure thats the issue. Thanks for the help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moving to General VW/Audi Repair, since the questions appear unrelated to VCDS in any way.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on man, either secure the fan or assembly from rattling or change the fan due to imbalance, no?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes Fredrick Awuor liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks i forgot where i was at when i started the post