2011 GTi KzS transmission swap to 2014 MWS Transmission 6MT

HMFIC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=155258
I have a 2011 VIN WVWED7AJ7BW217054 Gti Needed to replace Transmission 5th and 6th synchros failed. i wanted taller gearing for my application and went with the 2014 Beetle Trans VIN 3VW4T7AT5EM635971. I have talked to a few people that have done this swap and only issue is you loose cruise control and the gear indicator in the MFD. pulled old KzS transmission had my LSD put into the new MWS Transmission installed new clutch and single mass flywheel. I have an issue the starter doesn't align with flywheel properly? we pulled it back apart and you can see small bit of damage to both Flywheel and starter. Our initial deduction was maybe we were sent the wrong flywheel. they appeared to be slightly different in comparison when we received new replacement
a3fxwOk.jpg
[/IMG]
53uQ0kQ.jpg
[/IMG]

with new parts in hand we assembled everything and have the same issue. :banghead::banghead: ??? Is the 2014 Beetle bell housing different then the 2011?? I would physically check but I don't have old transmission due to core charge.. the transmission works flawlessly and I have no issues with shifting gears.

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
My first suggestion would be check the fitment of a 2014 starter motor, or at least confirm the part numbers are different

Reactions: Uwe

HMFIC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=155258
I fixed this Problem with a 2014 starter motor last night .. seeing as these starters are seriously different and how the GTi starter bolted right in i and still confused as to how people in the past have done this same swap and not needed to change starters
2014 Starter
TCFShGvs.png
[/IMG]
2011 Gti Starter
n2xfq3Vs.jpg
[/IMG]

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979