Instrument Illumination

davetom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295235
Using VCDS I went into Instrument (17), Select security access = 47115, Select adaptation from the pull down menu change the settings in

(2) dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y1 from 0 to 6,
(4)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y2 from 0 to 10.
(6)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y3 from 0 to 16
(8)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y4 from 5 to 32,
(10)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y5 from 14 to 46,
(12)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y6 leave as 64

Click on DO IT

Now you have the instruments bright with the lights at the OFF position and will remain like this even on a cloudy day.
I prefer it this way as I have my DRL's on front and back so now don't have my headlamps coming ON an OFF every time I go under a bridge or tree.
This was carried out on my SEAT ATECA 2.0TDI Xcellence Alldrive.

IndianaMuscle

Banned
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=368009
Using VCDS I went into Instrument (17), Select security access = 47115, Select adaptation from the pull down menu change the settings in

(2) dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y1 from 0 to 6,
(4)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y2 from 0 to 10.
(6)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y3 from 0 to 16
(8)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y4 from 5 to 32,
(10)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y5 from 14 to 46,
(12)dimming characteristic curve adjustment clock dial day - Y6 leave as 64

Click on DO IT

Now you have the instruments bright with the lights at the OFF position and will remain like this even on a cloudy day.
I prefer it this way as I have my DRL's on front and back so now don't have my headlamps coming ON an OFF every time I go under a bridge or tree.
This was carried out on my SEAT ATECA 2.0TDI Xcellence Alldrive.

We talked about this not too long ago, but I set mine to 64 across the board so I can see them at all times.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Dave, or maybe Tom: I'm a keen observer of the natural order of tweak dynamics on the net. It generally starts with someone (generally an individual) describing a previously unknown sequence of instructions - the tweak instruction then goes through a kind-of maturation process where the net community try the tweak and make comment (both good and bad). But the success, or otherwise of the tweak is really characterized by various folk the net community "owning" the instructions.

I think that its safe to say that ZEAL8080's embryonic original instructions for this tweak (which was first authored in Japanese - way back last century) is a complete success - the illumination curve in your post is very interesting (thanks for sharing)!!

Just a small comment on the extract above - as was discussed in another post regarding this tweak, the transducer that controls the dial clock illumination curve is the photo-transistor that lives in the rev-counter dial on the instrument cluster. The sole objective of this sensor is to measure the cabin illumination (nothing else).

The transducer that measures and controls the "headlights coming ON an[d] OFF" lives on the windshield (it's a LIN beast that talks to the BCM on a MQB platform car). This sensor's sole objective is to monitor the light level outside the car.

So- changing the illumination curve on the "Y" values in this tweak does not alter the LDS AUTO function operation. But it's perfectly understandable why this claim can be made and it's the very reason why the boffins at VW have factory-set the "Y1", "Y2" channels at low values.

Most folk believe that the instrument cluster is just a device that tells the driver about the engine revs and car speed, but as far as lighting is concerned, the illumination of the cluster tells (perhaps "suggests" is a better word) the driver what's happening (or, not happening) with the headlights. This feedback is particularly strong at dusk and dawn as daylight and night transition. As factory-set, having the instrument cluster illumination dull at these times gives the driver a visual prompt to turn ON the headlights. And altering the dimming curve of the clock dials can give the impression that the AUTO function is also changed - but it isn't!!

No offense is intended in my response - it's just my pedant personality at work!! :)

Don

Last edited:

davetom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295235
Thanks I will leave it as it is for the moment and see how it performs but will take your idea on board - thanks for the info KAWZX7.

davetom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295235
Dave, or maybe Tom: I'm a keen observer of the natural order of tweak dynamics on the net. It generally starts with someone (generally an individual) describing a previously unknown sequence of instructions - the tweak instruction then goes through a kind-of maturation process where the net community try the tweak and make comment (both good and bad). But the success, or otherwise of the tweak is really characterized by various folk the net community "owning" the instructions.

I think that its safe to say that ZEAL8080's embryonic original instructions for this tweak (which was first authored in Japanese - way back last century) is a complete success - the illumination curve in your post is very interesting (thanks for sharing)!!

Just a small comment on the extract above - as was discussed in another post regarding this tweak, the transducer that controls the dial clock illumination curve is the photo-transistor that lives in the rev-counter dial on the instrument cluster. The sole objective of this sensor is to measure the cabin illumination (nothing else).

The transducer that measures and controls the "headlights coming ON an[d] OFF" lives on the windshield (it's a LIN beast that talks to the BCM on a MQB platform car). This sensor's sole objective is to monitor the light level outside the car.

So- changing the illumination curve on the "Y" values in this tweak does not alter the LDS AUTO function operation. But it's perfectly understandable why this claim can be made and it's the very reason why the boffins at VW have factory-set the "Y1", "Y2" channels at low values.

Most folk believe that the instrument cluster is just a device that tells the driver about the engine revs and car speed, but as far as lighting is concerned, the illumination of the cluster tells (perhaps "suggests" is a better word) the driver what's happening (or, not happening) with the headlights. This feedback is particularly strong at dusk and dawn as daylight and night transition. As factory-set, having the instrument cluster illumination dull at these times gives the driver a visual prompt to turn ON the headlights. And altering the dimming curve of the clock dials can give the impression that the AUTO function is also changed - but it isn't!!

No offense is intended in my response - it's just my pedant personality at work!! :)

Don
First of all No offence taken however I did realise that the Headlamps coming on and the instrument panel going dark were not connected, it was just that to keep the instrument panel lit in all lights I had to keep the headlight switch on Auto.
Secondly you are correct in that all credit must go to ZEAL8080 for his breakdown of how to make the adjustments - I've tweaked it a little but may adjust it later on after a brief trial.

Last edited:
Back