ACC not available / RS3 2018

OlKor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a RS3 2018 with a technology package.

On the run of 20,500 km an ACC error suddenly appeared. Pre-sense and braking guard not available also.

10,000 km ago was replaced ACC compatible intercooler from FORGE. After replacing it, there has never been an ACC error for the next 10,000 km.

Visited my dealer yesterday hoping to resolve this issue under warranty. But my fears were justified, they could not do anything, referring to the fact that I have a modified intercooler. So they denied me repairing this fault.

Analyzing the forums, I found this solution - reset misalignment angle in VSDC Module 13 (auto dist. Reg)-->Basic settings -->IDE02163-ENG114972-Reset misalignment angle. This procedure will cause the sensor to start learning again.

After connecting VCDS, I was very surprised, because this line in the drop-down menu was not.

I do not believe that the ACC sensor suddenly shifted dramatically, I did not have accidents, strikes, paint work, replacing the grille or removing the bumper. What is most strange, after replacing the intercooler, I also did not experience problems with this error for a long time.

Are there any guesses about this issue?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi,

Please post an Auto-Scan for context.

-Uwe-

PS: Moved from General VW/Audi Repair (which is for questions that do not involved VCDS) to the New User section.

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, hijacking the thread. I am thinking of buying Ross tech cable and VCDS to reset my ACC radar for the same reason.

The radar was recalibrated at VW dealer/garage in London around Jan 2019. The cost was covered by the garage where I bought the car from (non VW).
But now the warranty is out so I will have to pay it myself (around £350, they said).

However, I believe the alignment should be fine. I didn't touch the radar or bracket (but I pulled the bumper out a bit to push one of the front parking sensors from inside. That's it.

I already contacted www.gendan.co.uk but was told to ask this question here before buying it because they are not sure if this is feasible or not.
(I don't have access to VCDS, so cannot send you Auto scan....).

Please advise.

Thank you.

If I buy the latest VCDS (thinking of buying unlimited VIN one as I can help my friends VW/Audi), is this possible?
My car is VW Touran 2016 (the newest shape). The reader part no is 5QA907561A.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If I buy the latest VCDS (thinking of buying unlimited VIN one as I can help my friends VW/Audi), is this possible?
My car is VW Touran 2016 (the newest shape). The reader part no is 5QA907561A.
It's really difficult to say whether VCDS will help in this case or not. It depends on what's wrong with the ACC radar.

Suggestion: Post where you are in the UK. We have lots of UK members here and chances are good there's one within reasonable driving range who would likely scan your car for free (or for some beer).

-Uwe-

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I live in Surrey, UK. I found someone who can do the scan near Guildford with genuine VCDS (I have to pay, but that's fine).
I will post it tomorrow evening after I visited him. Maybe he can reset the fault code, too.

Reactions: Uwe

grant@gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
I think the calibration procedure for the ACC Radar is pretty complex. My understanding is that you need a calibration rig with reflectors etc.
VCDS may be able to start the procedure but I imagine once you start the calibration procedure, it is expecting the rig and reflectors to be in place.

Here is a video Autel produced showing the use of their calibration rig for the ACC Radar:
https://youtu.be/vPl_g-2x-Ls

Ross-Tech may have more information on this from official VAG manuals but I am not sure this is something you can easily calibrate yourself.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I think the calibration procedure for the ACC Radar is pretty complex. My understanding is that you need a calibration rig with reflectors etc.

Your understanding is correct Grant. Yes, VCDS can do all that is needed but the targeting system has to be in place. This target system from VAG is not inexpensive. There are few vendors who are supporting VAG ACC calibration at this time.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I asked about Radar calibration a couple of years ago and Uwe dug out this video.
A little laborious to say the least...
Uwe said:
Here's what's involved. Notice the scan tool only comes into play at the very end?

-Uwe-

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi
I couldn't get Auto Scan as the system kept getting 'not responding'.
The guy who helped me has got a genuine cable (Hex+Can) with the latest version of VCDS.

We could enter the module 13 and fault codes show 'the fault Automatic Distance Regulation; Incorrectly Positioned', which couldn't be cleared.
Then, we entered the security code, but there wasn't a menu to reset misalignment in Basic option, either.

Does this mean even with the latest VCDS we cannot reset the radar misalignment on my car (VW Touran 2016 5T)?
Or as Gendan mentioned (in my email), this is due to the older cable (his cable is HEX+CAN, not new HEX V2)?

I am not trying to calibrate it by myself, but would like to reset misalignment to see how it goes if that is possible with the latest VCDS.

Thank you.

PS. I will take the car to the garage to calibrate the radar this time (I found a bit cheaper garage to do the job).

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
By the way,

my ACC radar is 5QA 907 561 A (HW 3Q0 907 572B) if this is related to the issue.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi
I couldn't get Auto Scan as the system kept getting 'not responding'.
The guy who helped me has got a genuine cable (Hex+Can) with the latest version of VCDS.
"The latest" is not terribly informative. Please have him look in his Scans sub-folder to see if anything got saved there, and if so, pass it along and post it here.

-Uwe-

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi.

He said he updated VCDS very recently (but bought his cable in 2016).
It was 18.x.x something as far as I remember. I contacted him again but nothing is left there, unfortunately.
The problem was his PC, not VCDS or cable, I believe. It looked he had relatively new PC (Windows 10), though.

I am trying to find someone more local via VW Audi forum now, but two of them I contacted have got only HEX+CAN cables, not HEX V2.
My ACC radar will be calibrated and fixed next weekend by the garage anyway.

But I still want to know if the latest VCDS can do 'reset ACC radar misalignment' and clear the fault code (sensor incorrectly positioned) on my car.
Just out of interest, how can you tell if this is possible or not from Auto scan?
If it is the part number, I already gave you here. What else would you like to see?
I just want to have a clarification before buying VCDS from Gendan.

Thank you.

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Unfortunately, you're asking questions without providing anyone with the data required to make any sort of answer. You might think this is counter intuitive, but that's the way it works. Any number of people arrive here looking for a simple answer to a complicated question, backed up by the statement "I don't have VCDS yet, but I plan on buying it soon.". But the forum procedure is "Buy VCDS, then ask questions based on the data it produces." not the other way round. A get by procedure is to provide a scan from someone who already has VCDS and will do a scan for you.

Unfortunately, neither of these options has been completed, so it's unlikely you'll get anyone putting their time and effort into decoding your issue just because you ask. Too many variables present I guess, or maybe just no one believes you're going to be a Ross Tech customer any time soon. After all, a 2018 RS3 with tuning mods isn't going to come cheap, so what's a couple of hundred quid spent on a very comprehensive diagnostics tool which you'll use most months of the year I guess.

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi.

Thank you for your reply and clear statement. I didn't know the rule. I was told to ask these question here by Gendan as they couldn't answer my question but maybe I should have been done in a different section.
It is not unfortunate at all. For the moment, I would like to buy VCDS for a very specific purpose as enquired.

If this is the reason why UWE is asking me to post a full auto scan, he should have told me so, but this is my fault I didn't understand the rule.
So my question won't be answered even if I get a full scan by someone else (unless he, as a registered VCDS buyer, posts the question for me).

As I mentioned, I will get it fixed by the garage next weekend anyway.
Purchasing VCDS is the extra thing I would like to do anyway and I will do it later.

Thank you.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
But I still want to know if the latest VCDS can do 'reset ACC radar misalignment' and clear the fault code (sensor incorrectly positioned) on my car.
Just out of interest, how can you tell if this is possible or not from Auto scan?
The Autoscan gives us module part numbers and software information by which we can then examine things further. With that information, we should be able to tell if VCDS is going to do what we think it may do.

If it is the part number, I already gave you here. What else would you like to see?

The software revision numbers, the other control module part numbers and so on. If you think these systems function independently, then you do not know the complexity of the machine you now own.

I just want to have a clarification before buying VCDS from Gendan.

Thank you.

Yep, and we would be glad to give you the assurance you want provided we have the information by which we feel we can justify that assurance.

VCDS should do the same as the VAG factory tool in this matter. That said, we cannot be absolutely sure without additional information.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ hmm....... perhaps I'm misunderstanding the central question that tetskoma asked on the previous page (post #3) - which I believe was eloquently (and correctly) answered in the initial responses.

Even given the very likely possibility that VCDS will be able to communicate with the hex13 module - it's almost certain that as a stand-alone device none of the current HEX series products (and incidentally, none of competitor devices on the market) is sufficient to undertake the misalignment procedure for j428.

The basic process for radar alignment needs the special VAS tool - which I haven't personally priced as an outright purchase but which I fully expect will cost somewhere near the annual budget of a small African nation! ;)

So, forgive the directness of my response - but isn't the question about purchasing a VCDS device somewhat academic if the single objective of radar misalignment is the the sole imperative for proceeding?

Of course, if testkoma has other uses for a diagnostic tool - then there can be no doubt whatsoever what purchase to make IMO!:D

Don

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
DV52 - You are right. I think I messed up my post before sending then, sorry.

Yes, my core question is that the latest VCDS can let us do 'reset misalighnment angle' in basic option on Module 13, not trying to calibrate or alighn the radar by myself at all.
(There should be a option there as some people managed to do it with VCDS).

Because I haven't done anything to change the angle of the radar, the alighnment should be fine, I belive.
So I wanted to do 'reset misalignment angle', and hopefully that clears up the fault code (incorrectly position or something like that).

I don't have any other use of VCDS at the moment, but I am thinking of ordering it later, maybe later today or tomorrow.
If I cannot achieve my objective, I will still own a genine VCDS for future use (I don't know what it will be...you never know or I can help others who needs it at least).
I just wanted to take a chance to clear the fault code by doing this before I take the car to the garage to rader calibration next Saturday.

Thank you.

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
I have ordered VCDS from Gendan, so will try it myself first (maybe on Wed evening). I will report the result here.
If it is not sucessful, I will create/post in a new fresh thread then as this thread was not started by myself.

Reactions: Uwe

tetskoma

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi.

Thank you for your help with registering the cable yesterday, UWE.
I managed to try it last night, but no joy....

In Module 13, I entered a security code 20103 (accepted), but Basic Option doesn't show 'reset misalignment.
So I will create a new thread and post my full scan tonight or over the weekend.

My ACC was to be calibrated tomorrow, but I had to re-book due to work :(
It will be done in 2 weeks time, so I have some time to play with it!

Back