VCDS Options - Your choice of what to buy!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are there any special circumstances for this situation? I sold my wired Hex-Can to buy a Hex-Net. Since I'm already registered, could my buyer use the extra registration when I purchase the Hex-Net?
No, that's why we have a trade-in upgrade program.

-Uwe-

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
I don't think the registration is transferrable; but obviously wait for the official RT line on this.

Autonerdz Pico group membership isn't so why should RT be !

crackerclicker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=196092
Thanks Zener & Uwe, that's what I needed to know.

Autonerdz Pico group membership isn't so why should RT be !

Actually Robski, it is. If the seller buys another kit, he can transfer his second lifetime membership to the buyer. Most of the confusion surrounding Tom's system comes from folks not reading all the details. This is why I asked a question instead of just assuming.

Last edited:

Little Nut

Reaction score
Just took delivery on a 2016 GTI. I am seeking input for deciding what purchases I need to make and If I should wait or not to make the VCDS purchase(s). ATM I am interested specifically in more of the cosmetic codings at this time (light flashing sequence, turning off audible warnings, set different default display). I know I will be interested in investigating other functionality as needed from looking through the software or from reading misc. forums. Also, I would like to be able to do this for friend's Vw AG autos.

Well I put in my VIN and I'm directed here. The "VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface" is what I would have selected, but it is indicated on the webpage that some new new models may cause issues and suggest a wireless option. OTOH from a thread or 2 here I read that work is ongoing on a potential workaround involving a firmware update. I would prefer to end up w/ full functionality for all current Vw AG vehicles and am willing to wait.

1. As of this moment will the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface work with my car w/ the release software and w/o a firmware update?
  2. If the answer is yes will there still be current Vw AG vehicles it will not fully function with?
  3. Should I just wait a short time until the beta software/firmware update hit's release to clarify the functionality?
Any Help/Guidance Will Be Appreciated,
-LN

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We have yet to see anything in a North American MQB cars that doesn't work with a HEX-USB+CAN interface.

There appear to be a few things available in Europe that we don't get here could be problematical.

But right now, I believe the only VW/Audi products in North America that with systems that the HEX-USB+CAN can't talk to are the 2017 Audi A4 and Q7.

-Uwe-

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Will it be an option to buy the Hex Net interface with 10 vin limitation, and then upgrade to the Pro version if the 10 limit is hit?

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Any updates on shipping to the UK yet, or is it still USA Beta only?

Cheers.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Any updates on shipping to the UK yet, or is it still USA Beta only?
We've been shipping HEX-NETs to end-users world-wide for more than a year. It is not considered a Beta product when used as an interface for VCDS running on a PC. However, we still consider VCDS-Mobile is to be a Beta product. Distributors in other parts of the world who have shown that they're qualified to support the product should have HEX-NETs in stock starting around October 1.

-Uwe-

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Thanks for that. I shall look forward to my friendly distributor being able to supply one, as it'll no doubt be hit by Customs if you ship me one?

Reactions: Uwe

IsDon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206763
Hi guys,

I have a USB-HEX-CAN registered cable that I purchased from you guys a couple of years ago.

I've been using it on my MY13 A6 and a whole host of vehicles without any issues. My wife is about to buy a new VW Tiguan, MY17 model. Will my current cable have problems? I'm happy with what I have, but hope I won't have to be forced into an upgrade.

What is it with the USB-HEX-CAN interface that makes it unsuitable, purportedly, with some of the brand new VAG models coming out? Have VAG changed the properties of the OBD port or is it just something that can be addressed with a firmware update to current USB-HEX-CAN cables?

When I bought this cable I thought it was supported for life. I would be a little annoyed if lack of a firmware update makes my current cable obsolete due to planned obsolescence.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've been using it on my MY13 A6 and a whole host of vehicles without any issues. My wife is about to buy a new VW Tiguan, MY17 model. Will my current cable have problems?
I don't think we can give you a definitive answer to that question until you post a scan from the vehicle. I'm confident it will talk to most of the modules in it, but perhaps not all of them. It may depend on how the vehicle is equipped.

When I bought this cable I thought it was supported for life. I would be a little annoyed if lack of a firmware update makes my current cable obsolete due to planned obsolescence.
It is supported -- within its capabilities. But there simply isn't space in there for any further enhancements to the firmware's capabilities.

-Uwe-

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Hello Uwe,
If I purchase this combination VCDS :

Want the current generation, latest features, full coverage, wireless connection on virtually any compute device and unlimited number of VINs? You can buy that for $499 USD (HEX-NET)

... do I need as well Cable for this or I can rely on Bluetooth connection only. Is this system capable to erase/ignore my Bulb errors ( I have changed all my conventional halogen bulbs with LED on my VW Tiguan 2012 2.0TSI 132kW AWD Sport )

Is it possible to order online from Ross and to be dispatched and delivered to New Zealand, Auckland please?

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas and Happy New 2017 Year!

Warm regards,

VIKING

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello Uwe,
If I purchase this combination VCDS :

Want the current generation, latest features, full coverage, wireless connection on virtually any compute device and unlimited number of VINs? You can buy that for $499 USD (HEX-NET)

... do I need as well Cable for this or I can rely on Bluetooth connection only. Is this system capable to erase/ignore my Bulb errors ( I have changed all my conventional halogen bulbs with LED on my VW Tiguan 2012 2.0TSI 132kW AWD Sport )

Is it possible to order online from Ross and to be dispatched and delivered to New Zealand, Auckland please?

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas and Happy New 2017 Year!

Warm regards,

VIKING
Please see my reply here:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8731-Bulb-error-after-upgrading-VW-Tiguan-with-LED-bulbs

-Uwe-

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Not sure if i am in the right place but i am a registered user and purchased software for my 2013 A4, buying a 2017 (now that they are making manual transmission again) and was wondering if my Vagcom will be up to date with my new car?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure if i am in the right place but i am a registered user and purchased software for my 2013 A4, buying a 2017 (now that they are making manual transmission again) and was wondering if my Vagcom will be up to date with my new car?
I expect it will be missing a module or two, depending on how the car is equipped.

Suggestion: Wait until you get the car, then post an Auto-Scan with made with your HEX+CAN interface so we can see what's what.

-Uwe-

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Thanks for the quick reply, not a problem if there are a few missing modules, i was thinking more along the lines of the existing things my current car needed if they persist on the the new one, steering issues, and service interval resets. Niggling stuff, It looks like the wait is 3 months from order so the first thing I will do after I make sure the shipping pucks have been removed is an autoscan and post it up. Thanks much as always. Thus far my cable has been used on both my Audi and new GTI to great success.

random1

Reaction score
So I am looking at getting the HEX-NET Enthusiast. It has full functionality with any browser(ideally using a Macbook Pro, or possibly iPad)?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So I am looking at getting the HEX-NET Enthusiast. It has full functionality with any browser(ideally using a Macbook Pro, or possibly iPad)?
Yes, VCDS-Mobile will work with any modern browser.

However, VCDS-Mobile should probably not be regarded as a full-function substitute for VCDS.

Of course, the HEX-NET also works with VCDS.

-Uwe-

Back