VCDS Options - Your choice of what to buy!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
  • For some, there is the free version - pay Ross-Tech nothing. (VCDS-Lite Shareware version) (limited in what it can do and limited model year coverage). VCDS-Lite only works with older cars, through roughly model year 2005 that do diagnostic communications via K-Line rather than CAN Bus. In order to use VCDS-Lite, you will need to procure a 3rd-party interface cable. These can be found for $20 or so on eBay or Amazon. We recommend you get one based on an FTDI chip. To remove the functional limitations on the free version of VCDS-Lite, you can register VCDS-Lite for $99 USD.

• If you want current generation product with all the latest features, you can purchase one of our new HEX-V2 interfaces.. They are compatible with all diagnostic-capable VW-Audi Group passenger cars, and are available in 3-VIN and 10-VIN versions for $199 and $299 respectively.

• Want current generation, latest features, full coverage for '95 through the current model year with a wireless connection on virtually any compute device but you only have your car and few others to work on? You can buy a 10 VIN limited wireless product for $449 USD (HEX-NET_10VIN)

• Want the current generation, latest features, full coverage, wireless connection on virtually any compute device and unlimited number of VINs? You can buy that for $599 USD (HEX-NET)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130834
Is it possible to upgrade from HEX-USB+CAN unlimited vins to HEX-NET or is it another outright purchase?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Trade-in upgrades will be available once the HEX-HET is out of Beta.

-Uwe-

Bwant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130834
And available to the UK hopefully?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
yes, available in other markets.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will be. But no date yet.

-Uwe-

rico567

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000334 (2nd hand)
I am still looking to buy the HEX-NET model, but as yet I can find no prospective date when it will be out of beta. While I have a great deal of confidence in Ross-Tech from my reading, I have owned another manufacturer's more generic (and limited) OBD device that is in beta for 6 months, and it has been a discouraging experience so far. Is the HEX-NET any closer to being out of beta?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Closer? Yes.

Is it out? No!

Are we ready to put a date on the full release? No.

Sorry, we ask your continued patience and we thank the early adopters for all their support and help.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I am still looking to buy the HEX-NET model, but as yet I can find no prospective date when it will be out of beta. While I have a great deal of confidence in Ross-Tech from my reading, I have owned another manufacturer's more generic (and limited) OBD device that is in beta for 6 months, and it has been a discouraging experience so far. Is the HEX-NET any closer to being out of beta?
Speaking personally as a customer of Ross-Tech, I think you could probably go ahead and buy one now.

The traditional VCDS Desktop model works well, both in wired and wireless modes. I have three different VWs here and I've done considerable A/B testing against the gold-standard HEX-USB+CAN wired interface. I ran into no truly major issues. I did run across a few minor issues. Ross-Tech delivered fixes for the majority within less than a week of being reported. Of the two remaining, one is cosmetic and the other is unique to my Phaeton (an incredibly rare vehicle). The embedded VCDS Mobile functionality is quite serviceable, but not yet bulletproof. I've been able to do almost everything I've tried. I did run into a couple of bumps, but those same functions worked on Desktop just fine. I expect that will improve rapidly.

Summary: If you're a Desktop user, or you don't mind an occasional fall-back to Desktop, go ahead pull the trigger.

Jason

Last edited:

Bassmann1968

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=19195
Hi,
will there be an option to upgrade the HEX-NET 10VIN to Unlimited?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
At some point, yes there will.

-Uwe-

Bassmann1968

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=19195
Alright,
Thanks for the quick reply, Uwe.
At the moment I am good with the VIN10 option, but you never know ;)

Chivvyp

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230985
Hi,

Is it possible to read engine blocks 208 and 209 with the VDCS lite version if it's registered?

Regards

Pete

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, if VCDS-Lite talks to the ECU in and those blocks exist in that ECU, then the you can read them once it's registered.

-Uwe-

Chivvyp

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230985
Yes, if VCDS-Lite talks to the ECU in and those blocks exist in that ECU, then the you can read them once it's registered.

-Uwe-

The cars a 2005 AUDI TT 3.2 V6.

The unregistered version of VCDS is communicating with the car ok and the blocks definitely exist. So I'll take that as a yes. :-)

Thanks for the quick response

Pete

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
Bruce / Uwe, can you update us on this please

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1289-Hex-Net-for-RoW

Update: We expect to make it a "released product" as an interface for the classic Windows-based VCDS software this fall, hopefully in October or November, but in any case, before the year is out.

However, VCDS-Mobile, which is what one would use on non-Windows platforms will remain in Beta for a while longer. I can't say right now how long it will take before we consider that a released product.

Now if anyone outside the US, who is an active member of this forum (such as golfi_vend) wants to one in the meanwhile, and understands that we still consider it a Beta, I think we can accommodate them.

-Uwe-

How do we go about this Uwe??

Give us some time to work something out. :)

Reactions: Uwe

rico567

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000334 (2nd hand)
If I buy a used HEX-NET unit from another user (he's only used one VIN), can I just go ahead and use it, or do I have to pay a fee to Ross-Tech to make it work?

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
If I buy a used HEX-NET unit from another user (he's only used one VIN), can I just go ahead and use it, or do I have to pay a fee to Ross-Tech to make it work?

Yes it will work (check if it’s the 10 VIN or unlimited version) but you will not get support unless you pay $99 for it to be registered to you:

3.10 Can I sell my VCDS System to someone else?
You can sell the Interface, but PC-based activations and support are not transferable. If you have a "dumb" interface for VCDS-Lite and the purchaser wants the full-function version, he will have to register as a new user for $99. All of our Current Interfaces act as "dongles" for VCDS, so the software should be fully functional on any PC that meets our requirements. However, we only provide support to the original owner. If you sell your interface to a third party and that person wants to be a "registered user" (eligible for product support and upgrades), he will have to register with us for $99 here.

crackerclicker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=196092
Yes it will work (check if it’s the 10 VIN or unlimited version) but you will not get support unless you pay $99 for it to be registered to you:

3.10 Can I sell my VCDS System to someone else?
You can sell the Interface, but PC-based activations and support are not transferable. If you have a "dumb" interface for VCDS-Lite and the purchaser wants the full-function version, he will have to register as a new user for $99. All of our Current Interfaces act as "dongles" for VCDS, so the software should be fully functional on any PC that meets our requirements. However, we only provide support to the original owner. If you sell your interface to a third party and that person wants to be a "registered user" (eligible for product support and upgrades), he will have to register with us for $99 here.

Are there any special circumstances for this situation? I sold my wired Hex-Can to buy a Hex-Net. Since I'm already registered, could my buyer use the extra registration when I purchase the Hex-Net?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I don't think the registration is transferrable; but obviously wait for the official RT line on this.

Back