VCDS Options - Your choice of what to buy!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you re-phrase?
That link says that for initial purchase a 3-VIN version of the HEX-NET is NOT available, neither is an unlimited VIN version of the HEX-V2.

I guess the question is what upgrades are available? Specifically, can the HEX-V2 be upgraded to unlimited VIN? A question which I believe is answered here https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That link says that for initial purchase a 3-VIN version of the HEX-NET is NOT available, neither is an unlimited VIN version of the HEX-V2.
Correct.
  • It would not be economically viable for us to offer the HEX-NET at a price commensurate with a 3-VIN license, so the HEX-NET starts at 10 VINs.
  • We would prefer those who need an Unlimited VIN license (generally repair shops or other "professional" users) to purchase a HEX-NET rather than a V2. Hence we do not offer an Unlimited-VIN HEX-V2 directly.

I guess the question is what upgrades are available? Specifically, can the HEX-V2 be upgraded to unlimited VIN? A question which I believe is answered here https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN
Correct, it can. A 3-VIN HEX-V2 can be upgraded to 10-VINs. Any 10-VIN interface (a HEX-NET or HEX-V2, including a HEX-V2 that started life as a 3-VIN and has already been upgraded to 10-VINs) can be upgraded to Unlimited. The cost for each VIN upgrade is $169.

-Uwe-

haso22

Reaction score
I have an audi a4 b9 , year 2017. Now i would like to know which model do you recommend to buy? I would use the interface only for private use...

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
I'll give myself the right to say - of course. Hex Can is the best product from Ross-Tech.

haso22

Reaction score
i would only use it for private on my car and the hex-can it's cheaper for my purposes...

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Will Hex-can also work?!
Not properly, the HEX-CAN won't give you full diagnostics and depending on how your car is equipped may not be able to talk to some modules at all (those that only use very long CAN bus messages).

As Uwe says you need one of the CURRENT Ross-Tech interfaces.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
the hex-can it's cheaper for my purposes...
Be careful of what you choose. Many of the cheap HEX-CAN units are knock-offs. Buyer beware. You only have one car - so why not buy the HEX-V2 Enthusiast limited to 3 VINs with our full VCDS software and full capability for 3 cars. It is our least cost option. I don't remember if our Sloveni distributor stocks these. He may not..

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will Hex-can also work?!
Not very well. There will be some things in a B9 that a HEX+CAN will not be able to talk to.

-Uwe-

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
I'll give myself the right to say - of course. Hex Can is the best product from Ross-Tech.

Apologies to everyone reading this. In fact, in post #66, I meant HEX NET.

Obviously, the first coffee hadn't started working yet, at the time I was writing this. :banghead: ;)

Llewelyn1966

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=504757
I've got a recently acquired year 2000 A6 Allroad TDi, with some issues, so I want to read DCTs and such from it.

Having tried hooking up VCDS lite through my OBDLink MX bluetooth adaptor, it agrees to connect to the adapter but doesn't want to talk to the car. I don't know if that's a protocol thing or not, but I'm about convinced to pull the trigger and get VCDS 3-vin version, rather than faff about buying another adapter and trying to get "lite" to work, and then have to licence it.

What I need to know is which if any of your EU suppliers can provide me with an English-language version and ship to Portugal, or can Ross-tech arrange shipping including taxes and customs clearance if I buy direct form the US. Experience teaches that anything not pre-cleared through customs and with vat etc paid will get entangled in customs and delayed for days or weeks. The simplest answer is to ship from another EU country then there's no VAT etc to pay on arrival.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Every VCDS cable is licensed for the English version of VCDS, those purchased from distributors in other countries will have a local language license in addition if one exists.

There is a distributor in Germany who supports Portugal and Brazil (full list here):
Portugal, Brazil:

Detlef Trapp - Português!

Franz-Schubert-Str. 10
97464 Niederwerrn,
Germany
+49-179-2066359

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Having tried hooking up VCDS lite through my OBDLink MX bluetooth adaptor, it agrees to connect to the adapter but doesn't want to talk to the car.
VCDS-Lite needs a "dumb" cable; something that has (or emulates) an RS-232 port on the PC side and has a K-line on the car side. K-line is just RS-232 at half-duplex and different voltage levels.

The OBDLink MX is a generic OBD-II interface that uses "commands" on the PC side rather than just directly converting; it's too smart for VCDS-Lite.

What you want for VCDS-Lite s a "KKL" or "VAG-COM 409" interface, preferably one based on an FTDI chip. We don't sell them.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There is a distributor in Germany who supports Portugal and Brazil (full list here):
He's actually based in Portugal at least part-time these days.

-Uwe-

Llewelyn1966

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=504757
It's not as bad place to live :D

Thanks for the info guys. I won't bother trying again with the OBDLink. Interestingly, I did get that to allow PC software for pre-OBD-II Ford to talk to a transit I used to have. I'll have to investigate interfaces. It's not that I don't want to pay but I#'m pretty unlikely to have a newer Audi then the one I have now any time soon, so the increased functionality for newer cars is kinda a waste, if "lite" will do all I need on a 2000 car...

Llewelyn1966

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=504757
Well, I got it to talk to the car, after I worked out that the link cable I got was on com6. re-assigned it to com3, and lo! data. I will likely register, but looks like I need to get an ABS sensor, which might use up the budget :)

Reactions: Uwe

Mastahh

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hi,

I'm at the moment using VCDS from AliExpress and thinking to buy original one, which is limited to 3 VINs.
Can it be later updated to Unlimited VINs for 169€, or I need firstly update it to 10 VINs and only then to Unlimited?

Back