Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Volkswagen CC 3.6L VR6 4Motion - Fueling/Misfire Issues

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like shop is unqualified or you misunderstood what they have conveyed?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Sounds like shop is unqualified or you misunderstood what they have conveyed?
    Quite possibly? I'm not sure how it could have skipped timing/had any cam issues without any cam codes/running okay. My buddy and I have taken our VW's to this shop previously and they have been very good with us.

Here is who they are:
    https://www.steveseuropeanauto.com/

If they decide that they've to dig into the motor to check timing, I'm thinking that might be a bit excessive and not necessary? Possibly start with replacing the MAF sensor and go from there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your intuition seems correct and you should use caution, right?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes nawarkk liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got another call back from the mechanic. They have stated that they still haven't 100% narrowed down what the possible issue is and that they'd like to check timing. Due to it being such a labor intensive task ($2k+ just to check), they suggested that they could check the cam roller which would put me at about $600+ dollars, just for diagnostics. He was able to provide me with the mechanic notes:

Technician test results and recommendations: Found multiple faults stored in the engine module for the fuel system along with mass air and misfire faults. When clearing, I found that the high pressure low fault returns right away. While observing live data, found that the mass air readings are jumping erratically. While driving I could feel a bucking sensation that was going in time with the mass air data. This was also causing the fuel trim values to shift according to the mass air values. Appears that along with the high pressure fuel system issue that an issue with the mass air flow sensor is occurring. Could not find the proper documented channels in the live data to display the high pressure, fuel pressure values. There are a number of sources that indicate the measuring block but these were not the values displayed on the VCDS. Possible ODIS will be able to provide this info. Further testing of the high and low pressure sensors will be needed along with testing of the mass air at this time. It is possible there is a timing chain issue that is causing both of these faults/symptoms.

Technician results with possible cause of symptom: Accessed the high pressure sensor and the high pressure pump regulating valve and connected both to the scope. Noticed that the wiring for the HPFP solenoid has had holes poked in the shielding which may cause a corrosion issue (just noting). Connected a fuel pressure gauge at the low side pressure sensor to verify low side supply and pressure. Connected ODIS to verify the pressures from the ECM as compared to the mechanical gauge. Found the low pressure readings at the gauge and the scan tool are in synch. Found the high pressure sensor voltage did increase as the rail pressure increased (appears the sensor is working) although the rail pressure increase was marginal and significantly below spec. Was able to verify with the scope that the high pressure pump is receiving a signal from the ECM to increase the pressure but the pressure is not increasing. Measured the engine vacuum and found only 10" at idle. Appears at this time the issue is mechanical. Inspection of the pump roller and base engine timing should be done at this time.

/End Notes

Would it be possible that the ECU would need to be reset? When I first got the vehicle back after the HPFP, it felt fine and didn't produce any ECU/Trans codes but when driving it and it gradually getting worse, it produced the below codes (snippet from previous page)

Code:
    Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 09G-927-750.clb
       Part No SW: 09G 927 750 HH    HW: 09G 927 750 HH
       Component: AQ 250 6F           1392  
       Revision: 00H76000    Serial number:               
       Coding: 0000840
       Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
       VCID: 7EF307C9294B76BFE3-802A

1 Fault Found:
    01314 - Engine Control Module 
                013 - Check DTC Memory
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 00101101
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 4
                        Reset counter: 201
                        Mileage: 0 km
                        Time Indication: 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 3C0-614-109-C4.clb
       Part No SW: 3C0 614 109 P    HW: 3C0 614 109 P
       Component: J104    C4 440 V2   0011  
       Revision: --025---    Serial number: 00000786346176
       Coding: 0000409
       Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
       VCID: 2B55FE9D8AB9331714-807E

1 Fault Found:
    01314 - Engine Control Module 
                013 - Check DTC Memory
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 01101101
                        Fault Priority: 3
                        Fault Frequency: 6
                        Reset counter: 73
                        Mileage: 295458 km
                        Time Indication: 0
                        Date: 2013.11.03
                        Time: 16:53:31

Freeze Frame:
                        Speed: 68.0 km/h
                        Hex Value: 0x011D
                        Voltage: 14.00 V
                        Bin. Bits: 00011111
                        Count: 217
                        Hex Value: 0x0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Would me fixing the MAF and having it run 'correctly' reset this ECU error and make it all good again? The service writer and I are at a loss without going any further into the motor. I fear that I may have to just give up on this vehicle if we can't figure it out. Anybody with an idea with the above notes?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody have any suggestions?

Been talking to multiple people and a lot of ideas are coming up. The car being out of time doesn't make sense to all of us.

Is there a VCDS log for monitoring the injectors duty cycle? We believe it could be possibly this?

How often are Cam Rollers the issue? I feel like as a roller, it wouldn't wear out at all, but I'm not 100% on that.

Would a smoke test on the vacuum system be worth to test? To possibly identify leaks in the vacuum system?

Not sure what to test next!

Post Thanks / Like
    Correcting the N276 open circuit and checking harness with load light for every track to ECU would be the first thing I did along with cam follower and cam.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Called and authorized them checking the Cam Follower/Roller. Asked if they checked wiring and they said that the signal is reaching the HPFP and that it just isn't responding right away.

Will report back after they check cam follower.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a call from the VW techs at the mechanic shop after removing my HPFP to check the cam/timing. The cam roller was missing. The HPFP was not working off the cam at all.

Went back to the mechanic that initially replaced the HPFP and asked them if they took the cam roller out and spoke with the actual mechanic who swore he never touched it/removed it. Sketchy, but I have no basis to blame them as I've no proof, but I'm happy the car is now running just fine with a new cam roller installed. Thanks all. Glad I don't have to get rid of this great motor.

10. Likes Uwe, Fredrick Awuor, NZDubNurd liked this post