I want a sleeper project

Griffs63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258650
Hi folks, not posted in ages as I sold my Tiguan and moved to the UK. Before I moved I started buying bits and pieces to turn the Tiguan into a sleeper, but with the move it stopped.

So I am thinking of starting a project this year to build a Sleeper based on a VW engine So VW, Skoda or Seat. I am not sure to go petrol or diesel and the car options are big.

Interested to know who has done this before and what advice they can share.

Where is this chat best suited in the forum?

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I would avoid diesel if you go into London regularly, the Ultra Low Emission Zone charges are high (and in addition to the Congestion Zone charge) - see https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

The ULEZ will expand further from October 2021 to cover the whole area inside the North & South Circular roads - so it may affect you depending on where in Kent you live and where you work.

Griffs63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258650
Diesel won’t be an issue as I never go into London by car or close to it. I was thinking of. 1.9 or 2.0 diesel as an option.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
How much work do you want to do... What age vehicles are we talking? How ridiculous can we go? :cool:

I keep seeing T5 Transporters and the 5.2 V10 S8s at the damaged car auctions at the same time :D

It's a bit more complicated than my R32 Touran though... if I ever managed to pull off the T5, I'd probably be divorced ;)

A TTRS powered Tiguan would be fun too.... or a TTRS Touran - nobody expects much of a Touran. Forced induction T5 VR6?

There is a definite need for more VR6's in the world! In China, they have an Atlas with a 2.5L VR6 turbo, called a Teramont.

Here in NZ, there was a guy who shoehorned an Audi 4.2 V8 from a 2005 A8 into the front of a 6N Polo, still driving the front wheels... pretty sure that counts as a sleeper! :D That's fairly far along the ridiculous scale too :thumbs:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Here in NZ, there was a guy who shoehorned an Audi 4.2 V8 from a 2005 A8 into the front of a 6N Polo, still driving the front wheels... pretty sure that counts as a sleeper! :D That's fairly far along the ridiculous scale too :thumbs:
How about going even further along the ridiculous scale and fitting the high revving 4.2 V8 from a B7 RS4 (and supercharging it???) - that would be truly awesome :D

Griffs63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258650
Not too rediculous. I don’t have a huge garage so that limits space. Welding is ruled out too. Thinking more of getting a car that allows engine to be upgraded and then brakes suspension to match. Not adverse to rebuilding an engine and swapping it and then recoding where needed. Ideal would be something already with a DSG. I was even toying with a VW Caddy as they are cheap. Wife not overly keen having a van on the drive :-)

So not too old, maybe 10 years max.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How much work do you want to do... What age vehicles are we talking? How ridiculous can we go? :cool:
My dream some years ago was to take an Mk.1 (NAR "Rabbit Diesel") and put a V10 TDI right behind the front seats, driving the rear wheels.

Keep the "Rabbit Diesel" badges on it.

Roll coal, and burn rubber! :D

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Not too rediculous. I don’t have a huge garage so that limits space. Welding is ruled out too. Thinking more of getting a car that allows engine to be upgraded and then brakes suspension to match. Not adverse to rebuilding an engine and swapping it and then recoding where needed. Ideal would be something already with a DSG. I was even toying with a VW Caddy as they are cheap. Wife not overly keen having a van on the drive :-)

So not too old, maybe 10 years max.

A Caddy would be a pretty good option in the UK. Very usable, but able to be made to go fast! I always like 4WD in sleepers, but that's a major undertaking in a powerful caddy. There is an R32 Caddy for sale on Caddy2K.com you could turbo or supercharge it :-) DOC on there is also putting a late model 2.0 TFSI into his.

There are some pretty rapid diesels in the UK too, and quite a bit of support and knowledge.

However, a 5 cylinder turbo Caddy would be rapid AND sound good :-)

Griffs63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258650
Caddy has been ruled out. Although it would be cool, wife says no way :-)

I was just looking at a Mk5 Golf GTI. How much effort would it take to fit a turbo, or would it be better to get a turbo version and upgrade with remap and better exhaust ?

Or ... a Tiguan with DSG. I used to own one without DSG. Looks like an old mans car but is effectively a golf. If it was a high line most of the modules would or should allow a refit for mfsw etc

Last edited:
Back