HEX-CAN USB Interface not found

HaveBlue

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206545
I think I have the same cable and been using it with my 2014 A7 for some years. Yesterday I went to use it with an SQ5 probably about a 2016 model. It had prompted for an update to 19.6 so I had done that however the software didn't recognize the cable. I ended up uninstalling it and going back to 18.2.1 which worked fine.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think I have the same cable and been using it with my 2014 A7 for some years. Yesterday I went to use it with an SQ5 probably about a 2016 model. It had prompted for an update to 19.6 so I had done that however the software didn't recognize the cable. I ended up uninstalling it and going back to 18.2.1 which worked fine.
Scratching my head. I've personally done scans on a several cars with 19.6 and a HEX+CAN cable even older than yours.

If it works with 18.2, it's doesn't have munged up USB data like the OP in this thread does. I'm confident his (in the condition he reported) wouldn't work with any version.

You can have different versions of VCDS installed at the same time. Just install them in different folders. My suggestion: Re-install 19.6 in a different folder than your working version and give us more details.

-Uwe-

Papa Leguas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307965
Hi Uwe,

Could you help me in one question?
Hex can usb genuine last version work very well until the newer cars (ex: 2019 or 2020) or just older cars (ex: 2018, 2017,2016....). Thanks for your support.
Best regards.
Breno

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi Uwe,

Could you help me in one question?
Hex can usb genuine last version work very well until the newer cars (ex: 2019 or 2020) or just older cars (ex: 2018, 2017,2016....). Thanks for your support.
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. The HEX+CAN works fine on older cars. There are some compatibility problems with long adaptation channels in some modules starting around 2015, and there are some modules it can't talk to at all starting around 2016/2017. It doesn't work at all starting with 2019 models.

-Uwe-

Papa Leguas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307965
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. The HEX+CAN works fine on older cars. There are some compatibility problems with long adaptation channels in some modules starting around 2015, and there are some modules it can't talk to at all starting around 2016/2017. It doesn't work at all starting with 2019 models.

-Uwe-

Tks a lot!

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
Good morning everyone. I join the 3D not to open another one. I have the exact same problem. This problem already occurred a few weeks ago, but I managed to solve it by changing the drivers (I don't even remember how anymore..). But now I can't fix it out anymore and any reasonable help would be greatly appreciated. Now, if the cable is only connected to the laptop it is recognized correctly, if it is also connected to the OBD socket it is not detected. In device manager I read that "the device is working properly" and is recognized as "Ross Tech Direct USB Interface", but I don't think that's the correct designation. VID and PID look correct. I attach photos:

My interface:
VCDS-ori.jpg

As seen without connection to the vehicle:
5.jpg

As (not) seen by also connecting to the vehicle:
2.jpg

What happens if I try to connect to a controller:
6.jpg

Seen from laptop:
3.jpg

VID e PID:
4.jpg

Maybe they are "clockwork" interfaces and I didn't know that? :D

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Maybe they are "clockwork" interfaces and I didn't know that? :D
Or maybe you should stop playing with clone interfaces on the same computer. ;)

-Uwe-

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
No vcds clone, but many other interfaces for Tuning, Km, multi-brand diagnosis, etc. Does it really take so little to send an original vcds into crisis?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No vcds clone,
I'm not going to show you exactly what I can see on our server. I'm simply going to say that I don't believe you. I will give you the benefit of doubt that perhaps you aren't aware what some people in your shop are doing, or raise the possibility that it has been used elsewhere. In any case, it has definitely been used on the same computer as a HEX-V2 clone, most likely with hacked/loaderized software.

-Uwe-

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
One thing that surely happens more than sometimes (for my convenience) is to leave laptop, VCDS, Abritus, Flex and other official and precious tools in the different workshops with which I work. So I have to assume that some of them are misusing my equipment without my knowledge? That would make me very angry.... 😐

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
Good, actually bad, because:

- I don't read replies with possible solutions
- my original vcds no longer work
- I don't have any clone to replace it
- is a working tool

Do we talk privately (without boring the audience) to look for a solution together?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
One thing that surely happens more than sometimes (for my convenience) is to leave laptop, VCDS, Abritus, Flex and other official and precious tools in the different workshops with which I work.
Do you also post in this forum from those workshops? ;)

Do we talk privately (without boring the audience) to look for a solution together?
I don't think that's necessary. We will still accept your 13 (almost 14) year old HEX+CAN in as a trade-in toward a current interface, even though we know for a fact that it has been hanging out in the wrong part of town.

-Uwe-

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
Unfortunately, being a "freelancer" has its downsides..

In this forum I post only from my home desktop computer, in the very little time I have left from the two my jobs (mechatronic and bus driver here in Rome).

Meanwhile thank you for your understanding, you are not a "benevolent dictator" for nothing. :)

Well, at this point I'm going to put in the cart the current equivalent of my HEX+CAN, which today is called HEX-NET Pro, right?

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696

Zagor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96696
Thank you very much for your tolerance too. I'll place my order at the beginning of the month.

End off topic. I apologize to everyone.

Back