HEX-CAN USB Interface not found

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
I’ve been using my VCDS for a while and I never ran into issue like this.I have windows 7 and 2 days ago I used VCDS no problem (it notified me that there is newer version but I wasn’t at home and didn’t have time to update).Today I wanted to use it on the same vehicle,when I opened VCDS it made me go to Options-Test with result USB interface not found.USB library 03.02.07.Interface not found
So I thought at first that was weird that I had to go through test at all but then I updated to 19.6 but no change.In device manager when I plug The cable,it was showing “serial interface”,no mention of Ross-Tech or nothing.Went through manual updating of the driver and now it changed to Ross-Tech Hex-... something but same issue comes up when I go to test it in VCDS.I tried reinstalling VCDS,drivers no difference.In device manager,when I open properties,it says driver works as it should,no issues.Even tried that VCP as described on Ross-Tech website but still same happens when I try to test it.Any ideas?
Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Unplug interface from PC.
Open Device Manager.
With Device Manager open, plug interface into PC.
Look for a new device to appear.
Please tell us the name of this device and where in the "tree" it appears.

Double-click on it to bring up its Properties sheet.
Click the Details tab.
From the Property drop-down, select: Hardware Ids
Show us what that looks like.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
Here is what I got.Not sure how to upload the pics so here is link
https://imgur.com/f70tOTG
f70tOTG.jpg

https://imgur.com/rfhGPVR[/QUOTE]
rfhGPVR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
Just tried to install VCDS on my other laptop with windows 8.1 and same thing happened.First In device manager it showed it like its SERIAL interface under USB controllers and after changing it to Ross-Tech Hex or Key USB interface still getting that 03.02.07 code,interface not found

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Here is what I got.Not sure how to upload the pics so here is link
Looks like somebody or something changed the USB PID (at least).

Post up some pics of the interface itself.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
Not sure exactly what USB PIDs are but can that be repaired/changed?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure exactly what USB PIDs are but can that be repaired/changed?
They can, but if you don't know what they are, you're might not be in a position do do so. ;)

The tool one would use to do so is available here from ftdichip.com

The question in my mind is: What other software have you been using that would have done this to our hardware?

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
I think I figured it out.When I was using VCDS last time,right after that I was using AVDI but I didn’t unplug VCDS from laptop so AVDI was giving me connection error to the interface.After realizing that they were both connected to my laptop,I unplugged VCDS and used AVDI no problem.I totally forgot that I did that but could that be the culprit of all this mess?

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
The tool one would use to do so is available here from ftdichip.com

-Uwe-
If I understand this good,this program needs it’s tool to program eeprom ,so I would have to open my VCDS and perform this programming?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think I figured it out.When I was using VCDS last time,right after that I was using AVDI but I didn’t unplug VCDS from laptop so AVDI was giving me connection error to the interface.After realizing that they were both connected to my laptop,I unplugged VCDS and used AVDI no problem.I totally forgot that I did that but could that be the culprit of all this mess?
Possibly.

If I understand this good,this program needs it’s tool to program eeprom ,so I would have to open my VCDS and perform this programming?
No, the FTDI tool has nothing to do do with VCDS. It's a stand-alone tool for programming the USB UART chip used in your interface. Note: If you don't know what you're doing, you can make things worse with that tool.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
I understand it’s a stand alone tool just wasn’t sure can it repair VCDS Interface through usb plug or VCDS interface has to be opened to perform that repair.
On the other hand would my VCDS be eligible for upgrade for new NET one?I was thinking I should upgrade anyway but with this happen I got to do something

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
On the other hand would my VCDS be eligible for upgrade for new NET one?
Yes, it would.

We could also reprogram it for you if you wanted to send it in, but given the expense and hassle of cross-border shipping, I'm not sure how much sense that would make.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
I’ll probably upgrade it then.Wondering if I have to send it to US and get new one from US or someone in Canada deals with that

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I’ll probably upgrade it then.Wondering if I have to send it to US and get new one from US or someone in Canada deals with that
I believe the distributor you purchased from in Canada took a different path and no longer carries Ross-Tech products, so I expect you're looking at sending it to us.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
But it would have to be same one that I purchased it from?I deal quite often with Jason at GermanOEM and he is distributor I think,if possible I would send it to him

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But it would have to be same one that I purchased it from?I deal quite often with Jason at GermanOEM and he is distributor I think,if possible I would send it to him
It doesn't hurt to ask if he'll help you with this, but he's not required to.

-Uwe-

Oliver C

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205891
I’m sorry to bother you again but I tried using that tool you suggested,I changed PID to FA24.It was indeed changed into AVDI somehow so just note to everyone that has AVDI beside VCDS do not leave vcds cable plugged when you run AVDI (common sense)
https://imgur.com/FhaN8Rg
Now if I test with VCDS cable not plugged it shows that interface is found
https://imgur.com/4fHi3KA
And if I plug it into the vehicle still have an issue,a bit different than before
https://imgur.com/MwbBTW8
Is there anything else that I should be replacing with that Mprog tool beside PID,Manufacturer and name?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I’m sorry to bother you again but I tried using that tool you suggested,I changed PID to FA24.It was indeed changed into AVDI somehow so just note to everyone that has AVDI beside VCDS do not leave vcds cable plugged when you run AVDI (common sense)
I hate to ask, but is your AVDI a legitimate one? Because legitimate tools don't usually do that sort of thing.

This is what I changed it to
https://imgur.com/Kkb8rzD
I doubt you got all that stuff exactly correct. However, I don't have an HEX+CAN of that vintage/series (they went through a number of small revisions during their 12 year lifespan) handy at the moment in order to compare (or send you a template). Save what you have as a template and send it to our support e-mail please.

-Uwe-

Back