Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coolant temperature cluster gauge test

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I understand. I did a test today. Watched the cluster gauge rise from a cold start while watching the digital reading on vagcom rise. It seems the cluster gauge only moves from 0 at around 50c per vagcom.

Yeah, its really odd to me. I have a few friends with a mk4 gti and jetta. My car is in the overall best shape out of them. Both their cluster gauge temps read right at 90c. Mine is slightly above. It's strange. And this only started happening after I replaced the coolant, flange and t stat.

I hear yah on the output test. I already did one. All the output test seems to do is run the cluster gauge from 0 to max then back to 0, then to the actual temp of the coolant.

I've seen a guy put the temp cluster gauge exactly to 90c before on another car (while the car is off and cooled). Haven't been able to talk to him about this. Thought I would give you guys a try

I'll keep on googling potential ways to do it. There must be a way.!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    That's normal, and it's designed to behave like that.

Seriously? You're worried about 1-3 degree discrepancy in the analog gauge of a 12-13 year old cluster?

I haven't run output tests on an Mk.4 cluster in a long, long, time. Most cluster output tests sweep them fully, return them to zero, and then park then needle at some intermediate location (e.g. 100 km/h on a speedometer). You cannot specify the exact intermediate position; that's hard-coded in the cluster.

-Uwe-

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the mid point test of outputs you are referring to.............I think when doing a test.

Some clusters do offer an ADP I don't think this one does but you can check in VCDS if channels exist. Stream through 0x17-10-000>

Is the ECT and flange factory?

When you installed are you sure it was completely cleaned surfaces.....?
    Are you using G12 and with proper mix ratio?

If the system isn't at full PSI it will run slightly cold......... due to lack of proper seal of the closed cooling system.

All of this effects boiling point.

Post Thanks / Like
    ect and flange are genuine bosch parts.

everything looked clean. the old flange wasn't too dirty.

yes g12 and proper coolant ratio.

not sure about psi but the t stat seems to be opening and closing okay. before i put the new t stat in, i put it in a boiling pot of water. to test it and see if its opening and closing for good measure.

As per vcds measuring block readings I got the car up to 98 celcius (208 fahrenheit) on the highway yesterday. IS IT NORMAL TO REACH 98c?

Im sitting in the car right now. ran an output test in instruments. rpms seem to go from 0 to max then to 3000, coolant gauge goes from 0 to max then to 92c (roughly where it goes when the car is hot), like uwe mentioned; tach goes from 0 to max then to 100 km/h.

the car is cold right now. regarding the coolant temp gauge output test. if its meant to go from 0 to max and then to 90c (the middle), then I assume my cluster is slightly off ?? it went to 92c when i did the output test just now.

Regarding "Stream through 0x17-10-000". Does this mean select in VCDS --- > Instruments (17) ---> Adaptation (10) ---> Channel 000 ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    That's the mid point test of outputs you are referring to.............I think when doing a test.

Some clusters do offer an ADP I don't think this one does but you can check in VCDS if channels exist. Stream through 0x17-10-000>

Is the ECT and flange factory?

When you installed are you sure it was completely cleaned surfaces.....?
    Are you using G12 and with proper mix ratio?

If the system isn't at full PSI it will run slightly cold......... due to lack of proper seal of the closed cooling system.

All of this effects boiling point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30secondgti View Post
    As per vcds measuring block readings I got the car up to 98 celcius (208 fahrenheit) on the highway yesterday. IS IT NORMAL TO REACH 98c?
    I believe that's within its "nominal operating range".

Quote Originally Posted by 30secondgti View Post
    if its meant to go from 0 to max and then to 90c (the middle), then I assume my cluster is slightly off ?? it went to 92c when i did the output test just now.
    Yup.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I believe that's within its "nominal operating range".

Yup.

-Uwe-

Nominal or normal?

Still seems a little off, but I think its as close as I'm going to get! (it seems when the car gets hot it goes a little past 92c, while the output test looks like its at 91c. I don't think there is a whole lot I can do accept for replacing the cluster.