Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coolant temperature cluster gauge test

Post Thanks / Like

coolant temperature cluster gauge test

Hello,

For some reason my temperature gauge on my 02' GTI is reading slightly above 90 celcius (canada). Looks like its at around 92c on the cluster gauge. Vagcom measuring block readings is fluctuating between 88c and 97c..

Is there an output test to do that can determine if the car is running hot or the gauge is a little off?

Ideally I would like to be able to tell the temp cluster gauge to go to 90c with the car cold and see if it goes slightly past 90c.

If it goes past the halfway mark of 90c while the car is cold, I'm assuming that the cluster gauge is just off.

Anyone know the ideal temperature ranges they cars fluctuate at? is 88c to 97c normal? I thought 90c was what its supposed to be at..

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cluster software has been made so, that in certain temperature range the cluster will show 90C neitherless the actual temp.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img593/2682/l6tl.jpg - It's in Estonian, but i think you can read the picture.

Also, there is output test you could activate. I guess you're familiar with so vcds, so just search the Output Test button.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah understood. The cluster gauge is reading 91c to 93c and vcds measuring blocks have a fluctuating reading reading of 88c and 97c when the car has been running for a period of time.

I tried running an output test. I wasn't helpful for this scenario. The output test includes the temp gauge going from 0 to max. I couldn't find any command to go to 90c or another desired temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30secondgti View Post
    is 88c to 97c normal?
    Sounds about right to me.

I thought 90c was what its supposed to be at..
    Plus or minus what? Think about the differing amounts of thermal energy your cooling system has to dissipate. There's a huge difference in the amount of heat produced at idle vs. full throttle. Then there are also big differences in air flow through the radiator (depending on the vehicle's speed and state of the fans) and of course the temperature of the air varies as well. Given all those variations, the fact that they can keep it within a 9 degrees C band is seems pretty good!

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried running an output test. I wasn't helpful for this scenario. The output test includes the temp gauge going from 0 to max. I couldn't find any command to go to 90c or another desired temp.

After the temp gauge reaches MAX, wont it center it to 90C?
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    What blocks are you reading the gage in engine ecu or cluster because the sender is split and two leads go to cluster and two go to engine ecu.

You can cross reference them to double check both are reading the same for redundancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    no it doesn't. It goes to max then to 0. There is a way to try and go to 90c exactly. I'm just uncertain on how to do it. I've seen someone else do it before.

Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    After the temp gauge reaches MAX, wont it center it to 90C?

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine measuring blocks (04) under coolant temperature through Vagcom.

Vagcoms readings are fluctuating between 88c and 97c as I've observed. Per what Uwe mentioned; at idle its lower in the spectrum, around 88c - 92c. When driving continuously with throttle engaged higher on the spectrum, 92c - 97c.

The CLUSTER GAUGE is stuck at a few points past the centre (90c). Visually looks like its at 91c to 93c (definitely past 90c). The cluster gauge doesn't move/ fluctuate like the more accurate readings through vagcom does.

Is there a command through vagcom that allows the user to tell the cluster gauge to go to 90c exactly? This way I can trouble shoot the cluster gauge. If telling the gauge to go to 90c exactly and the gauge reads past 90c then I know the gauge is off/ faulty.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    What blocks are you reading the gage in engine ecu or cluster because the sender is split and two leads go to cluster and two go to engine ecu.

You can cross reference them to double check both are reading the same for redundancy.
    Last edited by 30secondgti; 12-12-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    88c (190f) to 97c (207f) is normal? I thought the car is supposed to stay around 90c (194f) plus or minus a few points. The spectrum i'm seeing through vagcom goes all the way up to 97c at times (heavy acceleration). That seems a little high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Sounds about right to me.

Plus or minus what? Think about the differing amounts of thermal energy your cooling system has to dissipate. There's a huge difference in the amount of heat produced at idle vs. full throttle. Then there are also big differences in air flow through the radiator (depending on the vehicle's speed and state of the fans) and of course the temperature of the air varies as well. Given all those variations, the fact that they can keep it within a 9 degrees C band is seems pretty good!

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The cluster gauge doesn't move/ fluctuate like the more accurate readings through vagcom does.
    That's normal, and it's designed to behave like that.

Is there a command through vagcom that allows the user to tell the cluster gauge to go to 90c exactly? This way I can trouble shoot the cluster gauge. If telling the gauge to go to 90c exactly and the gauge reads past 90c then I know the gauge is off/ faulty.
    Seriously? You're worried about 1-3 degree discrepancy in the analog gauge of a 12-13 year old cluster?

I haven't run output tests on an Mk.4 cluster in a long, long, time. Most cluster output tests sweep them fully, return them to zero, and then park then needle at some intermediate location (e.g. 100 km/h on a speedometer). You cannot specify the exact intermediate position; that's hard-coded in the cluster.

-Uwe-