VW Beetle 1C7 (2004) BFS Engine Code with Battery Drain

Dr Sheldon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=334979
Hi Guys.

I have just updated my Profile with my VCDS Serial Number. Im hoping that will be enough to get me "Verified" Status. If I need to anything more please let me know. Thank You!

I have this vehicle (UK Right Hand Drive) with a 220mA Battery Drain. I have pinned it down to 2 Thermal Fuses, both located in the vehicle under the Dash Panel.

I have ELSA but am struggling to find either fuse on the Wiring Diagrams.

I have taken Pictures to help you guys identify these Thermal Fuses and have a VCDS Scan but need to work out how to attach these items to this post.

I will try to upload but if any one can assist I would be Grateful.

Many Thanks

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
You don't attach pictures on this forum, you have to save them to an image sharing site, such as imgur, then paste the direct link here - preferably using img tags.

It would be really helpful if you would post a full unedited VCDS Auto-Scan - see my signature for a How-To.

You may be able to get better wiring diagrams from erWin - you will need to use their european site not their US site as you are in the UK.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have just updated my Profile with my VCDS Serial Number. Im hoping that will be enough to get me "Verified" Status.
I'm afraid not because that serial number is registered to someone else located in Middlesex.

-Uwe-

Dr Sheldon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=334979
Thanks for the replies and the heads up on how to post pics. Much appreciated.

In the meantime I have found the cause of the drain. Water ingress in the Roof Module & Connector.

Uwe.
Now I am surprised that my VCDS is not registered to me. I am absolutely certain that I went through the Registration Procedure via the VCDS software. It was last year but again I can be sure I saw a message confirming that to me.

I would not have registered as Dr Sheldon., that is just a forum alias, but either my real name or my Company name.

Also I do have several email addresses and it maybe that I use different emails for the forum and for VCDS Registration.
I do have access to all my accounts so verification from your end is easy to achieve.

Furthermore, I do live on the outskirts of Middlesex.

Perhaps you could provide some pointers as to how this can be best resolved.

Many Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Now I am surprised that my VCDS is not registered to me. I am absolutely certain that I went through the Registration Procedure via the VCDS software. It was last year but again I can be sure I saw a message confirming that to me.
Interesting -- by searching on your name, I've found a totally different system than the one you gave the serial number from.

You gave the serial number from a HEX+CAN that was registered by someone else in 2012, whereas I've found a HEX-V2 that looks like it belongs to you, that was indeed registered last year. How about you PM me the other e-mail address(s) you might have used, and/or the other contact details so I can be sure it's you, please. Or find the HEX-V2 and PM me the serial number from that.. :)

-Uwe-

Dr Sheldon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=334979
Interesting -- by searching on your name, I've found a totally different system than the one you gave the serial number from.

Or find the HEX-V2 and PM me the serial number from that.. :)

-Uwe-

I have PM'd you the correct serial number from my V2.

Hopefully that will sort things out for me. thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have PM'd you the correct serial number from my V2.
Hopefully that will sort things out for me. thanks
Verified. Moving this to Car Repair Support.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It would be best to find stuff that is on the fuses and so you can correlate it to WD by back trace.

Then you will know what to unplug and to isolate the circuits which are suspect.

Provide an auto-scan & with full VIN number & so others can query the RTFB accurately or PM me the VIN to do an abstract.

Tone generators are worth their investment when you dont know your way.

JPPSG

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...ad-wiring-diagrams-the-videos-(final-version)
5VYE0_AS01

Dr Sheldon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=334979
Hi Jack.

Thanks for the pointers, appreciated !

I did have a good hard look at diagrams & Fuse locations on ELSA but they are not shown. Both the fuses responsible for the battery drain were in fact thermal cut out type fuses so I did guess Windows, Locks, Roof ... .... Not a lot else in this little car that would warrant a Thermal Cut out (Just my thought Process)

In the absence of the correct information I then pulled out one at a time to see what stopped working, One was for the Cabrio Roof and the other was the power supply to all 4 Door control Modules. This narrowed down my search for the battery drain somewhat. Although I had issues with the Roof and or Door modules draining power every thing within the doors and roof worked as it should. Every measured block was accurate and correct, values would change when they should.

I am a Bosch Master Technician so well versed at reading Wiring Diagrams, that was not the issue.

It was clear to see on an Oscilloscope (Pico 4 Channel is my weapon of choice) that CAN activity was not shutting down between these modules, it would when the fuses were pulled.

My thought process now was that:
1. I have 4 Door Control Modules faulty (Very Unlikely) or a Roof Controller Issue.
2. It was much easier and faster to access the roof controller rather than the Door Modules

A quick look at the Roof controller I could see moisture in the connector and some on the PCB too. At its very early stages and the 2 CAN pins were the worst affected.

The correct repair for this should have been a new Roof Module & Replace the Female Connector Pins however the Roof Module is no longer available from VW. So I have done a very good Clean, Reflowed affected areas of the Module PCB & replaced the bad connector pins. Battery Drain is now measured at 30mA and more importantly the car can be left for a couple of days and it will start. CAN activity can now be seen to "Sleep" a few minutes after Ignition Off.

Posting an Auto Scan (which I should have done - I am new here so still learning the ropes) may have added confusion. The Only fault codes in the vehicle were for a Crash Sensor but the Airbag Light was not illuminated on the Dash, neither could it be actuated so I guess someone has blanked it off. I have noted that on the Job Card.

That is good news for the customer as it had sat in a local garage for a few weeks and not fixed. I am a mobile service that targets garages looking for work that they either don''t have time for or struggle with.

Reactions: Uwe
Back