Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tweaking my miles per gallon display

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it’s set at 106% to match my hand calc values. Pity it didn’t learn my driving, or is more deceit afoot? Yes, it was reading 6% high. You be the judge.
    My Auto-Scan is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Understand there no no actual fuel flow sensor. The consumption is calculated based on fuel pressures and injector ON times, so it's not the most precise thing in the world.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    So it’s set at 106% to match my hand calc values. Pity it didn’t learn my driving, or is more deceit afoot? Yes, it was reading 6% high. You be the judge.
    My cynical opinion is they almost always set them to read high from the factory for "feel good" reasons. They actually are remarkably accurate when the correction factor is input. Mine rarely deviates more than -+ a tenth or two of an MPG between paper and electronic display now that I have corrected it and certainly some of that can be just due to the way the pump clicks off.

My A6 TDI was about 10% high from the factory. It certainly made me feel good to see highway MPG's in the 40's when I picked up the car. In reality high 30's is all I can get but it is still great from a car as large and powerful as the A6.

5. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Understand there no no actual fuel flow sensor. The consumption is calculated based on fuel pressures and injector ON times, so it's not the most precise thing in the world.

-Uwe-
    Ah, I see. Well at least with your help I zeroed in on it. Iíll check the next few tanks and see how it goes!
    My Auto-Scan is here

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    Ah, I see. Well at least with your help I zeroed in on it. I’ll check the next few tanks and see how it goes!
    Almost there, this tweaking is working in the right directions, and I think I’ve settled in on a number. Fingers crossed 107% is it. Next fill up I’ll know.

Edit: Nope, 106% now. I’m OCD over this mpg display!
    Last edited by kawzx7; 06-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    My Auto-Scan is here