HEX-NET - DS Download Failure - Error -8

BivDog

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282193
My HEX-NET has been used in the past with success and recently I did a hard reset due to inaccessibility due to a configured wireless network. Anyways I went to use my HEX-NET and it complain of missing ASAM file and ROD references were missing after reset. Attempted to update my HEX-NET via VCDS-Mobile with no luck and got Error code -8, download failed. I then took the HEX-NET to an 18.9 VCDS Windows Install it attempted to download DS: 60000050 and got the same error Error code -8, download failed. Upon that failure I thought well maybe I'm too far back for an incremental update so if I move to 19.4 (Beta) it will update since there are new ASAM/ROD files.

After installing 19.4 it upgraded the firmware (successfully) and when it attempted to download DS: 60000057 I got the same error. Seems like it dies during the "Building SD update..." phase. I realize this could go in either production (18.9) or Beta (19.4) but since the problem was consistent across 3 different software packages I figured I would post to the general board.

Windows 10
VCDS Interface Config V2.248

Interface: HN1-002665
CB: 0.4504
FW: 0.256
CFB: 0.10
BL: 0.28
DS: 0000050

Let me know if you need any additional information, look forward to any help.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving this to HEX-NET Support.

If you're using the HEX-NET with VCDS on a PC, the failure to download ROD data will not affect its functionality; this is only relevant to VCDS-Mobile.

-Uwe-

BivDog

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282193
What about ASAM File(s)?

Moving this to HEX-NET Support.

If you're using the HEX-NET with VCDS on a PC, the failure to download ROD data will not affect its functionality; this is only relevant to VCDS-Mobile.

Good deal, so while I was on lunch I was able to upgrade the Rod files via VCDS-Mobile and the next problem hit where VCDS-Mobile is saying it needs to download an ASAM file and it seems like nothing is happening within VCDS-Mobile. Basically it shows the update page with zero activity. Is ASAM also a VCDS-Mobile component?

Is there a better way to get the ASAM file onto HEX-NET?

Generally I am a VCDS-Mobile user as the only Windows system for me a Desktop within the house.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
it seems like nothing is happening within VCDS-Mobile. Basically it shows the update page with zero activity. Is ASAM also a VCDS-Mobile component?

Is there a better way to get the ASAM file onto HEX-NET?

It can take a minute to sync the files it needs with the server before it starts. Also, you can try taking it inside and updating with VCIConfig on a pc, that can also pull any ASAM data it needs.

BivDog

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282193
It can take a minute to sync the files it needs with the server before it starts. Also, you can try taking it inside and updating with VCIConfig on a pc, that can also pull any ASAM data it needs.

Shaun, it's possible without the progress back on VCDS-Mobile moving that I'm pulling the plug early. I did bring the HN inside the PC and ironically VCDS (PC) is saying I need updated Rod files and I'm back at the -8 error. Below are some of my configurations from which I attempted to pull the ASAM files:

VCDS-Mobile:

iPad via 4G Tether

No progress update (could be patience related on my part)

VCDS (PC):

Windows 10 via Ethernet via 4G LTE Router

Result: Rod files need to be updated, -8 error

VCDS (PC)

Windows 10 via Ethernet via Comcast Business Class Cable modem
Router

Result: Rod files need to be updated, -8 error

Any way I can bypass the Rod file update via the PC and download the ASAM? Or any idea of what's causing the -8 error for all downloads?

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Any way I can bypass the Rod file update via the PC and download the ASAM

The ROD file update IS the ASAM data, different names for the same thing. Rod files contain ASAM data.

As for why you keep getting -8 errors, I'm not sure. You could try [Options] -> [Clear Rod Files] to make it forget the files it is currently trying to download, and then scan just one or two modules from your car and see if it can download those files individually.

Reactions: Uwe

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Try again and see if you have better results. I found something related to this and made some tweaks, but a proper fix may have to wait until the rest of the crew is back in the office next week.

BivDog

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282193
Try again and see if you have better results. I found something related to this and made some tweaks, but a proper fix may have to wait until the rest of the crew is back in the office next week.

Shaun, so everything seemed to work the 2nd time around. I had cleared the Rod files based on your earlier post and originally had the same problem however sometime after this last post it seemed like the files started to flow. Thanks for working with me to get my HexNet back up and running.

pstew

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=68141
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm running into the same problem here.

My details:

VCDS Interface Config V2.252
Upgrading from DS: 00000035
"Check for Updates" gives "DS: 30000060"
"Download Update" gives "Building SD update... Error code -8, download failed" while downloading rods.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
You are coming from a very old dataset, so you probably need to clear the rod list from VCDS-Mobile and then autoscan again as many of the rod files may have changed. You might want to try a procedure like this: Check for updates with VCDS-Mobile and make sure you are updated to DS30000060. [Options] -> [Clear rod files]. Repeat autoscan. Now you can try to pull the rods with VCIConfig.

Back