Updated to Release 15.7 and Having Trouble? Read This Thread

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
We have gotten a handful of reports from customers who are having various difficulties after updating to Release 15.7. The natural human inclination seems to be to blame the last thing that has changed but we have found explanations and resolutions for most of these cases. Therefore, here are some things to try if "it doesn't work".

1) Make sure you have downloaded Release 15.7 from our website and installed it onto your PC:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.html

The updater in VCDS should accomplish the same thing but when in doubt, install a fresh copy.

2) Allow the installer to run through completely, agree to the terms, and unless you have some compelling reason to the contrary, allow it to install into its default location with the default installation options. At the end of the installer, it will prompt you to install USB drivers which you should let it do as well.

3) If your interface is plugged into a USB port, unplug it, leave it unplugged for 5 seconds then plug it back in. Depending on the version of Windows it may pop up with a USB Driver Installation Wizard or it may just automatically do its thing. If you encounter difficulties, try these instructions:
XP: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/usb/usb-config-xp.html
Vista/7: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/usb-config-vista.html

4) Start up VCDS (it may have already started at the end of the installation, which is fine). If VCDS won't start up at all after updating, make sure that Zone Alarm or your virus scanner are not blocking/quarantining the file. Make sure it says Release 15.7 at the top of the screen. If says an older version then something didn't go right. Check the shortcut on your desktop to make sure it's for Release 15.7. If needed, exit out of VCDS then repeat steps 1-3.

5) You should get a message saying something about "First Use, No Config File". You should acknowledge that message then go to Options and click Test. In order to fully test the interface, it needs to be connected to a car so that the interface has 12V of power. It doesn't matter if it's a VW/Audi, just something with an OBD-2 port with the key ON. If you test without a car it will be unable to check for a firmware update and will be unable to update.

6) If the Options>Test result shows everything OK but Firmware Update Required, click OK then Update. You do not need to be connected to the Internet to do the firmware update but you DO need to remain connected to the car. It should count up to 100%. When it's done click Close then Save.

7) At this point all of the buttons in VCDS should be available so you should try communicating with the car, for example by clicking on Select then 01-Engine then Fault Codes-02.

If you encounter difficulties, check FAQ 2.4 and 2.5

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_2.html#2.4

Specifically, check to make sure that Windows is not turning off the USB ports, make sure you have write permission where VCDS is installed (reinstall in the Documents folder if necessary), and remove any extension cable between the PC and the interface.

We have had some reports from users of VCDS running very slowly after some recent updates to Microsoft Security Essentials virus scanner. If verify that is the problem, you can add VCDS to the Exception list in Security Essentials.

One more thing: if you are using a Virtualized OS like Parallels, Virtual PC, remember those are NOT SUPPORTED as explained in FAQ 1.4

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.4

We have some reports of customers having difficulty updating firmware or connection problems or even using VCDS at all. A Mac running Bootcamp is fine but any kind of virtual OS is not. If it works for you, great, but if it doesn't the first thing we will suggest is trying a real Windows PC.

Last edited:

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
I downloaded the new today VCDS Beta 16.3.1 it installed no problem but when I ran it and did a Test connection it said not found I need to install HEX-NET interface so I click OK to install and it worked. I don't have HEX-NET so why does it need to install this when all previous updates have worked perfectly?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think you read or interpreted something incorrectly, but since I don't know exactly what you're referring to, please post a screen-shot of what you're having difficulties with.

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Well I would have to uninstall and re-install the VCDS Beta 16.3.1 to see if it shows the same problem. If it did install the HEX-NET interface surely that would still be there. There is nothing extra showing in Programs and Features only VCDS Beta 16.3.1. I can't post a screendump easily as this forum doesn't allow any attachments and its not worth adding it to Photobucket. Someone else must have installed VCDS Beta 16.3.1 and it will show the same problem?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
The HEX-NET interface is a piece of hardware. It is not something that can be installed. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the firmware update?

Back