Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi A6 4G - CAN gateway swap

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but remember with CP active on the gateway then nothing will work. Pretty much everything is connected into the CAN so bear that in mind that you faff around doing coding or admaps for the gateway when everything in your car is dead.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nugentp View Post
    Silly question from a relative newb to CAN bus capers on modern cars - all my other Audi machines are a lot older - does CP apply to all modules with certain CAN capabilities after a certain year - just wondering how often this pain can arise ?
    CP came on a model-by-mode basis starting with high-end Audis (D3/4E A8 and C6/4F A6) in the middle of the previous decade. It didn't come to VW until the Mk.7 cars. Not all control modules are part of the CP "constellation".

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys - but let me get this right - does CP only kick in if the car is connected to a dealership and they spot it is not the original serial number matched with VIN from mothership - or does it CP kick in immediately if the module is detected as some sort of rogue by other trusted controllers that see the wrong VIN (or something) associated with new controller ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any unmatched module will kick CP in.
    Doesn't matter if new or used.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it will kick in as soon as that module is plugged in. Just assume the module is 50/50 -legit/dodgy and it needs Audis online system to verify/confirm that
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    CP will kick in the moment you switch the ignition on, not right after you connect the module. then it won't go away until released by a dealer-level scan tool. CP on the gateway will most likely trigger CP in other modules and plenty of secondary functions will not work.

you can drive but don't be surprised if cruise control or the rear camer don't work. just an example.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so last stupid questions on the subject as the replacement gateway arrived in the post today... very grateful of the info shared here. For one thing, I hate asking dealership techs about anything I haven't researched enough to know the right way about things. Hopefully they have a standard charge for this - I cannot be the first person to have asked them for such a task to be done.

1. If I connect it and CP kicks in with ignition - will I be able to do any coding/testing of the gateway for enabling the AHLS module or does the car somehow revert to primary functions only ?

2. If CP mode does kick in, will normal service be resumed if I swap back to the originally equipped gateway ?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nugentp View Post
    OK - so last stupid questions on the subject as the replacement gateway arrived in the post today... very grateful of the info shared here. For one thing, I hate asking dealership techs about anything I haven't researched enough to know the right way about things. Hopefully they have a standard charge for this - I cannot be the first person to have asked them for such a task to be done.

1. If I connect it and CP kicks in with ignition - will I be able to do any coding/testing of the gateway for enabling the AHLS module or does the car somehow revert to primary functions only ?

2. If CP mode does kick in, will normal service be resumed if I swap back to the originally equipped gateway ?
    You will be able to do coding, but it does revert to primary functions. If you swap back original gateway all will be well. My experience with replacing can gateway with dealer.

I had an issue making a replacement CAN Gateway work (for adaptive front lighting system retrofit) and he was able to assist. This was after I was charged two hours of labor to have component protection removed and engine communication occurred resulting in EPC light and no cruise control. The reason for the two hours was tech was trying to resolve engine failure after removing CP. He was unsuccessful in resolving and after 2 hours, I said just give me the car as it is. I subsequently reached out to a gentemen who has FAZIT account with VW and purchased a

Info on my AFS retrofit https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29237, and MIB to MIB 2 retorfit as that has contact information. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600 I had a post on here concerning: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ting-Retrofit)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. I am now waiting almost two full weeks for the dealership to tell me how much it will cost to remove CP on my 'new' CAN gateway. Thats multiple phone calls and emails. Really inspires confidence doesn't it

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a can gateway swap done on my previous golf, VW forgot to restore the FeC“s and that meant no driver profile anymore, they fixed it though. make sure that they actually restore any possible FeCs.

Just tell the dealership that you need CP removed for a new can gateway, i do not think it would cost more than 100 bucks.

13. Likes Uwe liked this post