Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi A6 4G - CAN gateway swap

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi A6 4G - CAN gateway swap

I need to upgrade my CAN gateway to a variant that has support for the extended CAN bus to complete a bi-xenon & AHLS retrofit. I am nervous about doing the gateway swap in case some gremlins are introduced. Is there any kind of official or recommended procedure ?

For now, I am just hoping that good notes of CODING and what modules are installed (plus the new one at 55) will get me up and running. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what platform the A6 is, but if it has FeC codes like MQB, those will need to be restored with a dealer-level scan tool.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nugentp View Post
    I need to upgrade my CAN gateway to a variant that has support for the extended CAN bus to complete a bi-xenon & AHLS retrofit. I am nervous about doing the gateway swap in case some gremlins are introduced. Is there any kind of official or recommended procedure ?

For now, I am just hoping that good notes of CODING and what modules are installed (plus the new one at 55) will get me up and running. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily.
    When they remove the CP then they will reload the original factory coding for that module. After that you can start adding new items to its installation. Dont just install it and start coding bits as CP will be active and its useless until that is removed.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely CP only applies to brand new modules. I was hoping that I can simply copy the coding over from original part to retrofit part - then enable all the things that it needs to talk to. Or am I missing something ?

Post Thanks / Like
    CP definitely applies to used parts. Its design purpose is to render control modules useless if they were obtained from stolen and chopped vehicles. That's one of the reasons it phones home, to see if that module serial number was associated with a VIN reported stolen.
    Silence gives consent.

6. Likes Uwe, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Its stated purpose is to render control modules useless if they were obtained from stolen and chopped vehicles
    Improved that for you
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

8. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't seem to be the right thread to give my Revenue Protection speech.
    Silence gives consent.

10. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh joy - and let me guess the stealership will want a small fortune to remove CP - or flat refuse to do it unless they are supplying a new module. Lets see what happens.

Silly question from a relative newb to CAN bus capers on modern cars - all my other Audi machines are a lot older - does CP apply to all modules with certain CAN capabilities after a certain year - just wondering how often this pain can arise ?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    When they remove the CP then they will reload the original factory coding for that module. After that you can start adding new items to its installation. Dont just install it and start coding bits as CP will be active and its useless until that is removed.
    yeah, good luck with that. I went to two dealers, and paid them, and both were not able to restore FeC codes. I had some small things not working until I found somebody who knew what he was doing.

by the way, you surely can do all your coding and admap even if CP is active. the thing is that when the dealer tool neutralizes CP, it will most likely restore factory coding and admap, so if you had done any tweak before just double check.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats sort of encouraging - seems like I can get it working (if new module is healthy and accepts codes) but anytime it connects with the 'mothership' then this CP kicks in where the module may get factory flushed (or worse flagged as stolen despite the reputable looking source for the part).

I did a quick google for "FeC codes" but not really finding anything meaningful - care to share more info on that or is that stuff on need to know basis regarding additional security stuff ?