Audi A6 4G - CAN gateway swap

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I need to upgrade my CAN gateway to a variant that has support for the extended CAN bus to complete a bi-xenon & AHLS retrofit. I am nervous about doing the gateway swap in case some gremlins are introduced. Is there any kind of official or recommended procedure ?

For now, I am just hoping that good notes of CODING and what modules are installed (plus the new one at 55) will get me up and running. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I don't know what platform the A6 is, but if it has FeC codes like MQB, those will need to be restored with a dealer-level scan tool.

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
I need to upgrade my CAN gateway to a variant that has support for the extended CAN bus to complete a bi-xenon & AHLS retrofit. I am nervous about doing the gateway swap in case some gremlins are introduced. Is there any kind of official or recommended procedure ?

For now, I am just hoping that good notes of CODING and what modules are installed (plus the new one at 55) will get me up and running. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily.

When they remove the CP then they will reload the original factory coding for that module. After that you can start adding new items to its installation. Dont just install it and start coding bits as CP will be active and its useless until that is removed.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Surely CP only applies to brand new modules. I was hoping that I can simply copy the coding over from original part to retrofit part - then enable all the things that it needs to talk to. Or am I missing something ?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
CP definitely applies to used parts. Its design purpose is to render control modules useless if they were obtained from stolen and chopped vehicles. That's one of the reasons it phones home, to see if that module serial number was associated with a VIN reported stolen.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
It didn't seem to be the right thread to give my Revenue Protection speech. :)

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Oh joy - and let me guess the stealership will want a small fortune to remove CP - or flat refuse to do it unless they are supplying a new module. Lets see what happens.

Silly question from a relative newb to CAN bus capers on modern cars - all my other Audi machines are a lot older - does CP apply to all modules with certain CAN capabilities after a certain year - just wondering how often this pain can arise ?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
When they remove the CP then they will reload the original factory coding for that module. After that you can start adding new items to its installation. Dont just install it and start coding bits as CP will be active and its useless until that is removed.

yeah, good luck with that. I went to two dealers, and paid them, and both were not able to restore FeC codes. I had some small things not working until I found somebody who knew what he was doing.

by the way, you surely can do all your coding and admap even if CP is active. the thing is that when the dealer tool neutralizes CP, it will most likely restore factory coding and admap, so if you had done any tweak before just double check.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Thats sort of encouraging - seems like I can get it working (if new module is healthy and accepts codes) but anytime it connects with the 'mothership' then this CP kicks in where the module may get factory flushed (or worse flagged as stolen despite the reputable looking source for the part).

I did a quick google for "FeC codes" but not really finding anything meaningful - care to share more info on that or is that stuff on need to know basis regarding additional security stuff ?

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Yes but remember with CP active on the gateway then nothing will work. Pretty much everything is connected into the CAN so bear that in mind that you faff around doing coding or admaps for the gateway when everything in your car is dead.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Silly question from a relative newb to CAN bus capers on modern cars - all my other Audi machines are a lot older - does CP apply to all modules with certain CAN capabilities after a certain year - just wondering how often this pain can arise ?
CP came on a model-by-mode basis starting with high-end Audis (D3/4E A8 and C6/4F A6) in the middle of the previous decade. It didn't come to VW until the Mk.7 cars. Not all control modules are part of the CP "constellation".

-Uwe-

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
thanks guys - but let me get this right - does CP only kick in if the car is connected to a dealership and they spot it is not the original serial number matched with VIN from mothership - or does it CP kick in immediately if the module is detected as some sort of rogue by other trusted controllers that see the wrong VIN (or something) associated with new controller ?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Any unmatched module will kick CP in.
Doesn't matter if new or used.

Reactions: Uwe

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
And it will kick in as soon as that module is plugged in. Just assume the module is 50/50 -legit/dodgy and it needs Audis online system to verify/confirm that

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
CP will kick in the moment you switch the ignition on, not right after you connect the module. then it won't go away until released by a dealer-level scan tool. CP on the gateway will most likely trigger CP in other modules and plenty of secondary functions will not work.

you can drive but don't be surprised if cruise control or the rear camer don't work. just an example.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
OK - so last stupid questions on the subject as the replacement gateway arrived in the post today... very grateful of the info shared here. For one thing, I hate asking dealership techs about anything I haven't researched enough to know the right way about things. Hopefully they have a standard charge for this - I cannot be the first person to have asked them for such a task to be done.

1. If I connect it and CP kicks in with ignition - will I be able to do any coding/testing of the gateway for enabling the AHLS module or does the car somehow revert to primary functions only ?

2. If CP mode does kick in, will normal service be resumed if I swap back to the originally equipped gateway ?

George Ab

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=232965
OK - so last stupid questions on the subject as the replacement gateway arrived in the post today... very grateful of the info shared here. For one thing, I hate asking dealership techs about anything I haven't researched enough to know the right way about things. Hopefully they have a standard charge for this - I cannot be the first person to have asked them for such a task to be done.

1. If I connect it and CP kicks in with ignition - will I be able to do any coding/testing of the gateway for enabling the AHLS module or does the car somehow revert to primary functions only ?

2. If CP mode does kick in, will normal service be resumed if I swap back to the originally equipped gateway ?

You will be able to do coding, but it does revert to primary functions. If you swap back original gateway all will be well. My experience with replacing can gateway with dealer.

I had an issue making a replacement CAN Gateway work (for adaptive front lighting system retrofit) and he was able to assist. This was after I was charged two hours of labor to have component protection removed and engine communication occurred resulting in EPC light and no cruise control. The reason for the two hours was tech was trying to resolve engine failure after removing CP. He was unsuccessful in resolving and after 2 hours, I said just give me the car as it is. I subsequently reached out to a gentemen who has FAZIT account with VW and purchased a

Info on my AFS retrofit https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29237, and MIB to MIB 2 retorfit as that has contact information. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600 I had a post on here concerning: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...N-Gateway-Replacement-(AFS-Lighting-Retrofit)

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Thanks for that. I am now waiting almost two full weeks for the dealership to tell me how much it will cost to remove CP on my 'new' CAN gateway. Thats multiple phone calls and emails. Really inspires confidence doesn't it :rolleyes:

vrod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=201283
I had a can gateway swap done on my previous golf, VW forgot to restore the FeC´s and that meant no driver profile anymore, they fixed it though. make sure that they actually restore any possible FeCs.

Just tell the dealership that you need CP removed for a new can gateway, i do not think it would cost more than 100 bucks.

Back