Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSG - having to hit brake to go from N to D

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    His updated ask was essentially how to have the car not creep forward when the driver releases the brake, as automatics do, and Auto Hold is the answer to that with a DSG. No shift to Neutral necessary.
    I think what you call Auto-hold is really " Hill-hold" to stop from rolling backwards, at least it is that in my Passat and has no effect on level ground.
    Also why would you want to be shifting back and forth, thereby possibly wearing out some components.

2. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM View Post
    I think what you call Auto-hold is really " Hill-hold" to stop from rolling backwards, at least it is that in my Passat and has no effect on level ground.
    Also why would you want to be shifting back and forth, thereby possibly wearing out some components.
    Just a personal preference. And all components wear out, including brake boosters. Iíve had brake boosters wear out, but never any consequence from shifting D to N, or N to D on my transmission. Care to refute?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM View Post
    They are distinct features. If I have Auto Hold enabled on my Golf R, it will stay put indefinitely until I hit the accelerator, regardless of incline up or down. And, the brake lights stay on. It's a much better and safer way to achieve the OP's goal of not holding the brake at intersections, it's just got nothing to do with Neutral. However, I'm not sure whether it's available (or easily retrofitted) on his car.
    Silence gives consent.

5. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are distinct features. If I have Auto Hold enabled on my Golf R, it will stay put indefinitely until I hit the accelerator, regardless of incline up or down. And, the brake lights stay on. It's a much better and safer way to achieve the OP's goal of not holding the brake at intersections, it's just got nothing to do with Neutral. However, I'm not sure whether it's available (or easily retrofitted) on his car.
    I wish it was a feature on my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    Just a personal preference.
    Well and good, but just as if you had a personal preference to steer with reins and accelerate with spurs, we're gonna need to introduce you to some new controls.

And all components wear out, including brake boosters. I’ve had brake boosters wear out, but never any consequence from shifting D to N, or N to D on my transmission. Care to refute?
    I do, thank you for asking.

Your vacuum brake booster's wear factors are usage cycles (number of pedal applications), heat cycling, and aging. You still had to brake to a stop; your habit of going to Neutral once stationary does not reduce any of those things. Holding the brake steady at an intersection does absolutely nothing to the brake booster. Your booster is under vacuum 24x7x365 and has been since your car rolled off the production line, in order to meet FMVSS and ECE requirements to supply a couple of power brake assists even if the engine has stalled. You can walk out to your car right now and feel that without starting the engine. The pedal will feel normal the first couple times and then harden up as vacuum reserve is depleted.

For a true auto transmission, you're adding more lifetime lash-takeup loading and unloading cycles than were accounted for in the manufacturer's design. That includes clutches, gears, bearings, U-joints, CV axles, driveline mountings, suspension components for the driven wheels, etc. Not the end of the world, but no, you haven't done your car any favors. Ironically, a manual or DSG equipped vehicle has been engineered from the start to accommodate exactly this.
    Silence gives consent.

8. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish it was a feature on my car.
    Can it be? Have you looked?

I'll take a glance.
    Silence gives consent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replying to myself --

I prowled around PL24 using your VIN. I see you do have an electronic parking brake, but there's no sign of a hard button for Auto Hold even as a possible option on a 2019 Jetta. Interesting. Any chance it's buried in a Custom profile setting like steering and suspension? Hill Hold lives there on my Atlas, in some modes likes Offroad.

I do see you have one of the new trend of software crippled ACC radars. That sucks.

Consolation prize:

Code:
    starter	7U2	Preparation for retrofitting, engine starter plus remote start feature
    Wanna add remote start? https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...NPN065001.html
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 05-13-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Silence gives consent.

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iíve done it for four decades., and itís after traffic behind me has already stopped.
    I had suspected that jyoung's "auto-hold" reply was (at least in part) motivated by a degree of confusion to your question.

I'm not sure if the US was the same, but down here in the deep south in years past, some of our cars have a switch that enabled the driver to disable the safety interlocks on the auto-transmission (I recall that one of these interlocks was pressing the brake pedal- I think). Anyhow, I haven't seen these switches in modern cars and I'm not aware that VAG has them (or, ever had them) in their fleet. The absence of these switches is (I guess) an evolutionary process whereby manufacturers (society, really) continuously become more risk averse with newer generations. Alas, as you can read from the replies to your thread - risk management is an inaccurate science that engenders lots of legitimate albeit different views.

I can understand that folk want to retain their long practiced driving habits, but this might be an instance where imposed new standards enforce a change in driver behavior. Allow me to invite that you consider this imposition to be a simple trade-off for the numerous other new features that results from the application of technological innovation to the car's DNA!!

Don.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

13. Likes jyoung8607, PetrolDave, D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    isn't hill hold activated by pressing the brake harder while already fully stopped? then you can let off the brake until pressing the gas.

i remember something vaguely like that was on my gti.

Post Thanks / Like
    I prowled around PL24 using your VIN. I see you do have an electronic parking brake, but there's no sign of a hard button for Auto Hold even as a possible option on a 2019 Jetta. Interesting.
    Correction -- looks like it indeed may be an option. There are two variants of the electronic parking brake switch, and one of them probably has an integral Auto Hold button.

It *appears* that 17B 927 225 might have Auto Hold and 17B 927 225 A does not. No warranty on that as I haven't gone super in depth researching. You have the A suffix variant.
    Silence gives consent.

16. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post