Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET will to read engine addresses

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX-NET will to read engine addresses

I have a 2008 2.0T A4 Quattro which showed a check engine light two days ago. The A4 seems to be running well, but I cannot gain access to the OBD-II fault codes, and when I run a diagnostic none of the engine addresses are read. All other addresses are read normally and there is no data that indicates what might be wrong.

Any Ideas??? Best Binsu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You're presumably doing this with VCDS-Mobile?

What happens if you just do [Select] -> [01-Engine]?

Shaun had a 2008 A4 2.0T for several years while working on the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile. So I'm pretty confident it should work.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    My A4q is a 2.0TFSi too, however it is the CDNC engine and I believe on your side of the pond, you have the CAEB. My HN works flawlessly wired with a USB cable, Access Point with VCDS, and stand-alone with VCDS-Mobile.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen VCDS logs with the CAEB, but not sure of CAEB with VCDS-Mobile.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

Shaun had a 2008 A4 2.0T for several years while working on the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile. So I'm pretty confident it should work.

-Uwe-
    Yes, I'm using VCDS mobile, and I will try to select. But, I still cannot access the OBD-II data to find out what codes are being thrown.

Best, V

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    My A4q is a 2.0TFSi too, however it is the CDNC engine and I believe on your side of the pond, you have the CAEB. My HN works flawlessly wired with a USB cable, Access Point with VCDS, and stand-alone with VCDS-Mobile.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen VCDS logs with the CAEB, but not sure of CAEB with VCDS-Mobile.
    I have been unable to even access the OBD-II fault codes, and all of the other addresses output results. One anomaly I noticed is that some engine data appeared for a split second when I first started the diagnostic, but immediately disappeared. Thanks, Binsu

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to [Select] -> [Engine] -> [Functions] -> [Fault codes] do you see anything?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

-Uwe-
    Dear Uwe, I tried that and the HEX-NET makes three attempts to initiate the K-line and will not load any address from 01 through 07. OBD-II data is unavailable. However, the Check Engine Light [CEL] has gone off.

My son drives the car, so I have no first hand knowledge of the conditions under which the CEL will light, and there were no apparent symptoms that I could hear, see or feel. There could have been a possibility that either the oil filler cap or the gas cap may have been loose. He got fuel yesterday and the light is off now.

However, it is disconcerting that I am unable to diagnose this particular A4. I do know that Audi can read the engine codes and addresses 01 through 07.

This is frustrating and puzzling. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Best, Binsu

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If you go to [Select] -> [Engine] -> [Functions] -> [Fault codes] do you see anything?

Shaun, thanks for your advise; please see my reply to Uwe. Best, Binsu

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you might have problems with one of the klines. Does this car have an aftermarket radio? Plugged into car, what does [Options] -> [Self Test] show for K1 and K2 status? Can you post a whole autoscan so we can see what is and is not talking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    It sounds like you might have problems with one of the klines.
    Except on a 2008 US model A4 , the ECU will be on CAN, as is 02-Auto Trans (if it has one), and 03-ABS. Furthermore, the powertrain CAN is brought directly to pins 6 and 14 on the DLC, and there is no Gateway. I wonder if he's got a problem with the wiring to those pins.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

12. Likes PetrolDave liked this post