HEX-NET Stalls During Update

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
I have been trying to complete the latest firmwear/data set update, but the process stalls at 43% with an ETA of ~30 during verification of the 28667 KB downloaded file out of the total 29184 KB to be down loaded. The HEX-NET drops the connection to my network just before this point which I believe causes the stall. I'm on a Mac network managing the download on an iPhone with no PC available to use.

Of course this would not be a problem if there were a version of VCDS that would run on the Mac platform.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Binsu

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving to HEX-NET support.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Of course this would not be a problem if there were a version of VCDS that would run on the Mac platform.
Many fellow Mac VCDS users run VCDS on our Macs using Boot Camp :thumbs:

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I would try downloading through VCIConfig in bootcamp if you can.

The HEX-NET drops the connection to my network just before this point which I believe causes the stall.
It sounds normal for the HEX-NET to drop connection here, the download has finished. Failing during the verification means the downloaded file is corrupted, however. Are you using a wifi router to do this, or a 4G tether?

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
Shaun, thanks for the reply! I was using a WiFi connection just a few feet from the WiFi router using my iPhone. I did dig out an old ThinkPad today that barely operates and does not have a functioning battery, and was able to download VCDS 18.9.1 to that machine. Now I need to update the HEX-NET device "without" bringing the ThinkPad out to one of the Audi Vehicles, but the installation instructions say to connect the PC via the HEX-NET to the vehicle for the first run of the updated application.

Regarding BootCamp, I have always replaced the stock drives in my MacBook Pros with 1TB drives which I partition. There is no space on the Mac OS boot partition to install Bootcamp assisted Windoze. Further, haveing been responsible for maintaining a Wondoze network at my friend's law office, I wouldn't pay a penny for anything made by MicroSoft.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Now I need to update the HEX-NET device "without" bringing the ThinkPad out to one of the Audi Vehicles, but the installation instructions say to connect the PC via the HEX-NET to the vehicle for the first run of the updated application.

You can run VCIConfig.exe directly from the VCDS folder without VCDS even running. You can use this to update from inside with the interface plugged in over usb, you don't need a car for this.

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
PetroDave thanks for the reply! But, regarding BootCamp, I have always replaced the stock drives in my MacBook Pros with 1TB drives which I partition. This has always save all of my data during past incidents boot volume corruption that trashed only my boot partition, since all of my work file, media, photo libraries and client web sites are on the other partitions. Now, there is no space on the Mac OS boot partition to install Bootcamp assisted Windows since I'm up against the minimum space needed just for the Mac OS. Further, haveing been responsible for maintaining a Wondows network at my friend's law office, I wouldn't pay a penny for anything made by MicroSoft.

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
Great, Shaun! I'll try that now. Thank you!

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
You can run VCIConfig.exe directly from the VCDS folder without VCDS even running. You can use this to update from inside with the interface plugged in over usb, you don't need a car for this.

OK! I am trying what you suggested. At first run of the Interface Config Application I got 5 error messages:
1. Can't create registration key 'HKCU\Software\VCIConfig' (error 5: access is denied);
2. Can't open registry key 'HKCU\Software\VCIConfig' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified) [I don't know what file that refers to];
3. Can't create registration key 'HKCU\Software\VCIConfig' (error 5 access is denied);
4. Can't open registry key 'HKCU\Software\VCIConfig' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified) [I don't know what file that refers to];
5. Can't set value of 'HKCU\Software\VCIConfig\wxTranslation_Language' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified) [I don't know what file that refers to];

However, it did find the HEX-NET device and did try to update it, but each attempt to update yielded an error code -8 download failed. This time, using a hard wire connection to the internet.

Any advise? Best, Binsu

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
Shaun, I'm pleased to say that the update was finally successful. I pressed the red button on the HEX-NET and reset the mode. I also ran the registration tab. Everything then downloaded and installed properly. Thanks for your great advice.

Back