Not open for further replies.

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me which part of the Volkswagen 5spd transaxle is driving the speedometer sensor?

Car is 03 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd.

The reason I ask is, I've been reading about a 5th gear swap, and while there's tons of info on the swap itself, I can't seem to find any information on whether it effects the speedometer or not? If the speedo is being driven from the differential, then a 5th gear swap shouldn't effect the speedo calibration correct?

If in fact it IS being driven by the diff...

Just curious;).

Thanks, Rem

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I can't seem to find any information on whether it effects the speedometer or not?

The Factory Workshop Manuals and the Volkswagen Self Study Programs (SSP)s are great source for information.

If the speedo is being driven from the differential, then a 5th gear swap shouldn't effect the speedo calibration correct?

Use an 'internet image search' for this part number, [095409197A] - pinion speedometer, it is driven by this part [01M409187] on the differential assembly.
- So changing the 5th gear, will not affect the speedometer readings.

Note:
All part numbers above are used for visual examples only and should not be considered as a substitute for the parts catalog for this or any other vehicle.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
That sure does help, thank you.

Based on the transmission disassembly/parts breakdown images I did find, I was pretty sure the speedo was driven from the diff, but I jut wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

This is perfect, thank you for the reply DrPeter.

Rem

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
The one thing will may change after installing 5th gear update with different gear ratio is Cruise Control. You may not be able to use Cruise Control in 5th gear.
However this can be fix with tuning ECU .

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
The one thing will may change after installing 5th gear update with different gear ratio is Cruise Control. You may not be able to use Cruise Control in 5th gear.
However this can be fix with tuning ECU .

Yes, I read that, but from everything I have seen, it is only a problem with the BEW cars (2004-up), and that cruise usually works just fine on the ALH (2003-older) with this 5th gear swap.
I'm referring only to the Mk4 gen cars...I know nothing of the others.

Rem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back