Thread: Warranty Keys Facts - TD1, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Warranty Keys Facts - TD1, etc

Hi there.....

So, almost everyone who knows what chip tuning is has probably heard about the "TD1 code" that Audi and Volkswagen uses when they "flag" a vehicle that was found to be tuned. But, did you know there are more of these codes (Keys) that could be forever attached to your vehicle?

There are actually many more of Warranty Keys, as the manufacture calls them, that could be flagged when a vehicle goes into the dealer for warranty work or a recall or even an oil change service and you may not even know your vehicle was checked and sometimes worse, the dealer or manufacture may not tell you now have one of these codes.

Here is a list of the "Warranty Keys" (as of 2018) that Audi and Volkswagen use:

Key Description Affected system
    T10 Engine Tuning Engine is modified
    T23 Powertrain Tuned Powertrain affected
    TD1 "Vehicle Check Code" Software in the ECM has changed
    TXD "Vehicle Check Code" Software in the ECM has changed
    T40 Running Gear altered Changes to Brakes, Wheels, Suspension, Gearing including differential
    T26 Exhaust modifications Non-OEM exhaust systems
    T50 Vehicle Body alterations Body panels changed(non-OEM)/modified
    T68 Interior Altered Non-OEM Trim or Interior
    T90 Instrument Cluster changes Additional Instrumentation and/or NON-OEM cluster
    USB Buyback Vehicle buyback, not qualified for CPO warranty
    UST Vehicle totaled Vehicle totaled, no warranty, except emissions warranty

The TD1 warranty key is automatically 'flagged' by the dealerships diagnostic equipment. Not all vehicles are part of this automatic detection, however the ones that are detected, the dealership will not know this process is happening. Oh, by the way, the warranty Key TD1 is irrevocable and can not be added manually.

If the vehicle is not automatically detected, the dealer technician, if he/she so desires, can run the "Specified vs. Actual
    ECM Software comparison" test plan to if they suspect the vehicle has a tune and this could set the TD1 key as well.

Lastly, the dealer technician is supposed to 'manually enter a Warranty Keys if "Powertrain tuning is Suspected" or they found any of the above conditions.

You can call your local dealer and ask them to check if your vehicle has any Warranty Keys, they should be able to find this information with the VIN.

This information is deemed reliable but not 100% guaranteed and is subject to change. This is only a guide and if you need additional information please contact the manufacturer.

Hope this helps,

drpeter
    Last edited by DrPeter; 05-06-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling errors corrected

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    do they have to "search" to see if the cars been tuned?i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.they didnt say anything the last time.just wondering if its blatantly obvious when they scan.
    2015 GSW 2.0L tdi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dillenger1 View Post
    i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.
    One question with such systems is whether "stock" is really 100% stock, or whether there's still custom stuff going on in there, but with mappings resembling stock?

Another question is: How hard is the dealer looking for a tune? And how hard will VW look if you have a warranty claim for some kind of expensive engine or emissions failure?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good reason to never, "EVER" take a car back to a dealer and only submit for warranty from a third party huh?

Did or do you know your warranty rights?
    JPPSG.....
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

5. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dillenger1 View Post
    do they have to "search" to see if the cars been tuned?i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.they didnt say anything the last time.just wondering if its blatantly obvious when they scan.
    Hello,

They (dealer and corporate) can perform a search by VIN to see if the vehicle ever had any warranty keys flagged(reported). When they connect to the vehicle, there are some test plans that will 'automatically search' for a controller that is modified and if found, flag a warranty key.

According to some Audi/Volkswagen documents I have seen in the past, the manufactures are continually adding more of these automatic checks/test plans to the factory scan tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Another question is: How hard is the dealer looking for a tune? And how hard will VW look if you have a warranty claim for some kind of expensive engine or emissions failure?

Personally I think it is up to the individuals at the dealership. Some techs do not care and will say nothing if the see modifications. Others will make a note on the RO(repair Order) to cover their butt and some will ask the advisor/warranty clerk to flag the vehicle. When I was a dealer tech, I was more of the 'cover my butt' kind of tech and I let the dealership decide what they wanted to do.

If there is an large/expensive warranty claim, the dealer could overlook the warranty keys and try and submit the claim, however, corporate VAG will look for any reason to deny a claim and not to pay the dealership for such warranty claims! and if they find any of the keys above, they will for sure have a reason to deny the claim.

When a claim is denied, the dealer has to now pay for the repair (parts and labor) or try and recover the all or some of the money from the customer. The dealer can offer a "goodwill' repair and spit the costs in several ways to 'help the customer'.

So most dealerships will very rarely submit warranty claims without checking them for any little thing that will cause a claim to be denied and eventually cost them money. We used to loose service managers and warranty clerks because of warranty claim issues and warranty audits.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

7. Likes Uwe liked this post