Warranty Keys Facts - TD1, etc

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there.....

So, almost everyone who knows what chip tuning is has probably heard about the "TD1 code" that Audi and Volkswagen uses when they "flag" a vehicle that was found to be tuned. But, did you know there are more of these codes (Keys) that could be forever attached to your vehicle?

There are actually many more of Warranty Keys, as the manufacture calls them, that could be flagged when a vehicle goes into the dealer for warranty work or a recall or even an oil change service and you may not even know your vehicle was checked and sometimes worse, the dealer or manufacture may not tell you now have one of these codes.

Here is a list of the "Warranty Keys" (as of 2018) that Audi and Volkswagen use:

KeyDescriptionAffected system
T10Engine TuningEngine is modified
T23Powertrain TunedPowertrain affected
TD1"Vehicle Check Code"Software in the ECM has changed
TXD"Vehicle Check Code"Software in the ECM has changed
T40Running Gear alteredChanges to Brakes, Wheels, Suspension, Gearing including differential
T26Exhaust modificationsNon-OEM exhaust systems
T50Vehicle Body alterationsBody panels changed(non-OEM)/modified
T68Interior AlteredNon-OEM Trim or Interior
T90Instrument Cluster changesAdditional Instrumentation and/or NON-OEM cluster
USBBuybackVehicle buyback, not qualified for CPO warranty
USTVehicle totaledVehicle totaled, no warranty, except emissions warranty

The TD1 warranty key is automatically 'flagged' by the dealerships diagnostic equipment. Not all vehicles are part of this automatic detection, however the ones that are detected, the dealership will not know this process is happening. Oh, by the way, the warranty Key TD1 is irrevocable and can not be added manually.

If the vehicle is not automatically detected, the dealer technician, if he/she so desires, can run the "Specified vs. Actual
ECM Software comparison" test plan to if they suspect the vehicle has a tune and this could set the TD1 key as well.

Lastly, the dealer technician is supposed to 'manually enter a Warranty Keys if "Powertrain tuning is Suspected" or they found any of the above conditions.

You can call your local dealer and ask them to check if your vehicle has any Warranty Keys, they should be able to find this information with the VIN.

This information is deemed reliable but not 100% guaranteed and is subject to change. This is only a guide and if you need additional information please contact the manufacturer.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Last edited:

dillenger1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=368041
do they have to "search" to see if the cars been tuned?i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.they didnt say anything the last time.just wondering if its blatantly obvious when they scan.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.
One question with such systems is whether "stock" is really 100% stock, or whether there's still custom stuff going on in there, but with mappings resembling stock?

Another question is: How hard is the dealer looking for a tune? And how hard will VW look if you have a warranty claim for some kind of expensive engine or emissions failure?

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like a good reason to never, "EVER" take a car back to a dealer and only submit for warranty from a third party huh?

Did or do you know your warranty rights?
JPPSG.....

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
do they have to "search" to see if the cars been tuned?i have a kerma loader that gives me both "stock and +1 tunes.i can set it back to stock before it goes in.they didnt say anything the last time.just wondering if its blatantly obvious when they scan.

Hello,

They (dealer and corporate) can perform a search by VIN to see if the vehicle ever had any warranty keys flagged(reported). When they connect to the vehicle, there are some test plans that will 'automatically search' for a controller that is modified and if found, flag a warranty key.

According to some Audi/Volkswagen documents I have seen in the past, the manufactures are continually adding more of these automatic checks/test plans to the factory scan tools.

Another question is: How hard is the dealer looking for a tune? And how hard will VW look if you have a warranty claim for some kind of expensive engine or emissions failure?

Personally I think it is up to the individuals at the dealership. Some techs do not care and will say nothing if the see modifications. Others will make a note on the RO(repair Order) to cover their butt and some will ask the advisor/warranty clerk to flag the vehicle. When I was a dealer tech, I was more of the 'cover my butt' kind of tech and I let the dealership decide what they wanted to do.

If there is an large/expensive warranty claim, the dealer could overlook the warranty keys and try and submit the claim, however, corporate VAG will look for any reason to deny a claim and not to pay the dealership for such warranty claims! and if they find any of the keys above, they will for sure have a reason to deny the claim.

When a claim is denied, the dealer has to now pay for the repair (parts and labor) or try and recover the all or some of the money from the customer. The dealer can offer a "goodwill' repair and spit the costs in several ways to 'help the customer'.

So most dealerships will very rarely submit warranty claims without checking them for any little thing that will cause a claim to be denied and eventually cost them money. We used to loose service managers and warranty clerks because of warranty claim issues and warranty audits. ;)

Hope this helps,

drpeter

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Three more 'Warranty Keys added this year....

KeyDescriptionAffected system
US1Selling Dealer - CaliforniaVehicle Emissions, Warranty coverage - 7/70
US2Current Owner - - CalifornianVehicle Emissions, Warranty coverage - 7/70
US9PZEV Warranty CoveragePartial Zero Emissions Vehicle

Note: Any states that have adopted California Emissions laws for the 7 year/70,000 mile warranties will show the US1 and US2 Warranty keys.
- To include but not limited to:
California
Connecticut
Delaware (Model Year 2014 and forward)
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York (MY2016 and newer)
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington

drpeter

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah, however, wait, are not the States that adopted those CARB warranty extensions for useful life emissions warranty, are they not much higher than 7/70k for many later years and are indeed 10/120k & 15/150k for comprehensive AECD's as certified and affirmed to by the OEM to gain GHG tax credits on the application with CARB and via carry over with the US Government at the EPA + given access to credits from NHTSA for technology innovations unilaterally & since like starting in 2004 onward & each can be read in each vehicles application submitted to Government for COC?

Didn't NY adopt CARB in like 1990?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
16 CFR § 700.10 - Prohibited tying.

16 CFR § 700.10 - Prohibited tying.
CFR

§ 700.10 Prohibited tying.
(a) Section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.

(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance (other than an article of service provided without charge under the warranty or unless the warrantor has obtained a waiver pursuant to section 102(c) of the Act, 15 U.S.C. 2302(c)). For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized `ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine `ABC' parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, 15 U.S.C. 2310, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of “unauthorized” articles or service. In addition, warranty language that implies to a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances that warranty coverage requires the consumer's purchase of an article or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name is similarly deceptive. For example, a provision in the warranty such as, “use only an authorized `ABC' dealer” or “use only `ABC' replacement parts,” is prohibited where the service or parts are not provided free of charge pursuant to the warranty. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

[42 FR 36114, July 13, 1977, as amended at 80 FR 42721, July 20, 2015]

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
§ 700.10 Prohibited tying.
(a) Section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

All type automotive or most VAG franchise dealers or agents of the OEM's charge to diagnose a vehicle and if under warranty with said aforementioned stipulation than reimburse if they state it is qualified, therefore they can not qualify for this exemption of "unless" huh?

troystg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159051
Sounds like a good reason to never, "EVER" take a car back to a dealer and only submit for warranty from a third party huh?

Did or do you know your warranty rights?
JPPSG.....

How do you go about getting a third party reimbursed for warranty work? Do you have a link or a document that I can use to do my homework on the topic? Google searches are slim to no info as I don't think VAG likes that scenario. I only have one dealership close and they are really not good. Would MUCH prefer to find a good indie shop and give them the work.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
@troystg, unfortunately, Jack is not going to be able to answer your question. Jack caught the Covid virus and we lost him to it some weeks ago.

I don't know if any here would know to what Jack referred.

Back