Does vcds need the canbus gateway?

huelsdonk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361683
I have a 2006 jetta tdi engine that is installed into a toyota pickup. The ecu has the immobilzer deleted and the engine swap is running with nothing else from the car but the essentials for the engine and it's ecu. The engine runs great the problem is that I have hooked up my hex-v2 and i can do some of the basic obd2 stuff but none of the rest of the stuff works, autoscan says gateway not supported.
So, my question is this, do I need to hook up the canbus gateway module from the jetta to have complete use of my HEX-V2?

Thanks
Alex

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It needs the Gateway in order to do an Auto-Scan using Auto-Detect (or any of the entries in the AutoScan.txt file that just specify '00' in the address list).

Now if you have this ECU installed this ECU in a "foreign" chassis, doing an Auto-Scan is rather pointless, since VCDS won't be able to talk to anything except 01-Engine anyway.

In principle, VCDS should be able to communicate with the ECU directly. How have you got the ECU connected to the OBD-II connector? If you're only getting generic OBD-II but can't connect to 01-Engine, I would guess you've got the K-Line connected to pin 7 on the OBD-II socket, but haven't run the CAN bus connections there?

-Uwe-

huelsdonk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361683
Thanks for the direction Uwe. Everything you've said is spot on for me. I am running without the canbus gateway so it doesn't autoscan, but I can access the engine module. I do have the k-line and the canbus connected at the obd2 connector but it seems like I only connect to the ecu through the Kline. I will take some screen shots and logs next time I drive.

I'd also like to share my project here with the group. Its a 1981 Toyota hilux double cab. It came with a N/A diesel in it. I put a turbo on it and popped the head gasket about 6 months later. Engine parts are only available internationally and are expensive. So, I fell into a 2006 jetta tdi with a BRM code engine and a bad immobilizer and the project started.

I did an Immobilizer delete to the edc16 ecu and got the car running. Then i started pulling the engine and researching the wiring harness work. I was amazed at how easy it was to make the harness especially when you can spend up to $1000 having one of the shops do it. I spent much more time r&d then actually making the harness, but it still wasn't that much r&d either. I purchased an adapter for the engine to go on the Toyota transmission. I'm running the Toyota radiator and no fans at the moment, it runs about 60 degrees Celsius when warmed up. And cools down to 40 at idle

I have upgraded the turbo to a pd140. I have put in a new cam, timing belt, and several gaskets. Next on the list is a Malone tune.

But, I have ran into a little problem that maybe you guys can help me with. My crankshaft senor isn't registering. The sensor worked when I first got the jetta running, then the tach stopped working in the car, then I did the swap. I have checked and tested my whole harness visually and electrically. It has no breaks or issues with continuity or connection. I also have a brand new sensor from vw installed. I still get no crankshaft signal. I have a new rear main seal to put on and I know it has new ring on it, but is there a reason the old ring on the engine could get out of alignment? My rear main seal is not leaking, I got it for the new ring. But i would like to not have to pull my transmission to do it. I also can't set my torsion value for my new can without this sensor working.

I will post pics with my logs

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Rear main seal/clutch/flywheel replacements are fairly common causes of new G28 (crankshaft speed sensor) issues. If you are confident the pick-up is located at the rear main seal area on this particular TDI then I'd overlay the wiring to from the new sensor followed by pulling the trans and replacing those components if needed. The exact G28 DTC you have may be helpful as well so we can see if any Wiki notes apply. Adding the fault code data to a log with VCDS will allow you to easily post it here in plain text.

huelsdonk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361683
Update time.
I have replaced the rear main seal and sensor ring and a new g28 engine speed sensor and a new pigtail to the sensor along with a full harness inspection. I am still getting code 16706/p0322 engine speed sensor g28 no signal. I also don't have a turbo actuator sensor hooked up, no o2 sensor and no egr solenoid valve. These are all deliberate as i will have them deleted with a tune, but I cannot get a tune without getting this sensor figured out! I have done some more testing as well and something fishy is going on with my reference signal. When I test the g28 plug end with the key on I get 10v at pin 1 to ground, 10v at pin 2 to ground and 0 volts at pin three. I also get 0.7 ohms at pin 1 0.7 ohms at pin 2 and 1250 or so ohms on pin 3 to ground. I read that I should be getting 5v at pin 1, 1v at pin 2 and good continuity up to 1.5 ohms at pin 3 to ground. I have used this post http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...)-P0322-000-No-Signal-2005-Touran-2-0TDI-BKD?
And I am wondering if not having all the sensors hooked up might be the problem. He fixed his problem by also replacing the MAP sensor. I already replaced mine when I was performing the swap.
What am I missing?!?!? This is very very frustrating.

huelsdonk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361683
Back