Thread: 2019 Jetta GLI has the Soul of the GTI in every way now

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 Jetta GLI has the Soul of the GTI in every way now

Title is a mess "Soul of the GTI". Please fix if possible.

Not sure about you Euro folks, but we just got the latest Jetta. I recall my my 06 GTI, which I unfortunately had to sell, and this is as, if not more-fun than the GTI was. The adaptive dampers are a hoot. Sport mode is F1 rip your face off kind of cornering! I have never had a car in this price range (25,300 USD) with such prowess. The comfort mode available on the 35th is quite the welcome feature for long highway cruises, but is still safe enough for emergency maneuvers. I just want that performance meter if it can be unlocked on the 35th as it's "not available".

Any other GLI owners here?

Autocorrect really kicked my ass on this post.
    Last edited by kawzx7; 04-30-2019 at 10:47 AM.

2. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    Title is a mess "Soul of the GTI". Please fix if possible.
    title updated.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was specing out a jetta on the vw website and they really pissed me off by the differences between 35 and autobahn and you can't combine options.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    I was specing out a jetta on the vw website and they really pissed me off by the differences between 35 and autobahn and you can't combine options.
    I agree, it is infinitely stupid. But so is the demise of the two door GTI that I loved. I am not sure with VW sometimes. Can't beat that warranty though!

I decided to bite the bullet on the 35th because I wanted the DCC. Plus I got a kick ass deal in Chicagoland.

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    Oh, btw, the 35th comes with the shark fin antenna, but no Sirius XM head unit. Why? Then leave the thing off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure with VW sometimes.
    Yeah, the lack of flexibility in their configurations drive me nuts at times.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just want that performance meter if it can be unlocked on the 35th as it's "not available".
    Unfortunately you will probably find this difficult. The Performance Monitor (also known as Sport HMI) is locked down by design, and requires a FeC (Feature enable Code) to release.

VW themselves screwed this up on 2019 Golf Rs, to the extent they're issuing updated temporary Monroney stickers while they figure out how to unscrew it.

Oh, btw, the 35th comes with the shark fin antenna, but no Sirius XM head unit. Why? Then leave the thing off!
    I've seen at least one example of the thing being a fake/blank. It may just be a matter of simplifying production, every roof gets that hole punched and it has to be filled with something.
    Silence gives consent.

11. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Unfortunately you will probably find this difficult. The Performance Monitor (also known as Sport HMI) is locked down by design, and requires a FeC (Feature enable Code) to release.

VW themselves screwed this up on 2019 Golf Rs, to the extent they're issuing updated temporary Monroney stickers while they figure out how to unscrew it.

I've seen at least one example of the thing being a fake/blank. It may just be a matter of simplifying production, every roof gets that hole punched and it has to be filled with something.
    So then the GTI I drove must have had the right FeC. I wonder if a scan would reveal it???
    Yeah, I bet that shark fin is a blank for production's sake. If I keep the car as long as I plan to, I'll have it pulled and painted over.

Post Thanks / Like
    So then the GTI I drove must have had the right FeC. I wonder if a scan would reveal it???
    I'm afraid not. You can see a reference to a numeric code for the feature, if you go digging around in some hidden menus on the infotainment system, but not the underlying per-vehicle secret code that unlocks that feature code for your VIN. FeC is something that was designed to prevent exactly what you're trying to do, so getting around it isn't easy. There's one outfit in Poland selling hacked infotainment units with various stuff unlocked, but even they are using some fairly ugly workarounds.
    Silence gives consent.

14. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I'm afraid not. You can see a reference to a numeric code for the feature, if you go digging around in some hidden menus on the infotainment system, but not the underlying per-vehicle secret code that unlocks that feature code for your VIN. FeC is something that was designed to prevent exactly what you're trying to do, so getting around it isn't easy. There's one outfit in Poland selling hacked infotainment units with various stuff unlocked, but even they are using some fairly ugly workarounds.
    Hmmm, interesting stuff.