Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Product Activation/Use issues

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Only on another car that it's capable of communicating with, and a 1999/2000 GM vehicle doesn't qualify because those vehicles did not use K-Lines at all.

If you can't find any other K-Line cars, we can certainly give you an RMA and (re)test it for you.

Did you get your registration code? It looks like that (server side) problem got sorted this morning and you should have it in your gmail.

-Uwe-

PS: Since you're Verified now, I'll move this to Product Support.
    Ah I did not know that I figured ďgeneric oneĒ meant exactly that ha.
    Sweet thankyou! Yes I received it randomly this morning ima go home and finish the verification and try scanning it with the abs unplugged after work just Incase and see what happens.

I donít have any other k line cars available I live in the Midwest nearly everyone owns gm cars lol. If you could give me a RMA and have it retested I really believe something funky might be up. I believe the car issue is sorted and should work properly Iím a mechanic by trade and have used other scanners similar so I donít think there is a download issue or any driver issues.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so I have some news/progress.
    I was successfully able to register my product finally... so thats sorted!
    I really wanted to avoid the wait of having to ship my tool out. So I went over to a family friends house only person I know with a audi and is similar to mine (couple years older) she regularly takes it in and has it checked by a local shop so I know this car is accessible. And i was able to successfully scan her audi. - so that is good...

So that brings me back to my car which is clearly the issue now. I then went back to my shop and plugged in to my car and received short to ground errors all over again even with the abs unplugged. Its odd because it seems to come and go...
    I am able to get a short to ground code when I plug the battery back in plug my tool into the car and turn the key on. I will then go and shut the key off pull the tool off the car and proceed to unplug all my k-Line connections which I checked are successfully making good connection. And some times the short to ground "will go away". I then go back through the steps and it will be k-line OK scan the car and no data registers. Or i just get short to ground errors right away which is what i am back to now...

So that brings us back to square one. Finding this short to ground issue... I am completely at a loss as to why absolutely not one controller will show up does anyone have a suggestion as where to start? I ran the car while running a auto scan while there was no short issue showing and same results ensued.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would try connecting one "branch" of the K-lines at a time, then try accessing whichever module that branch goes to.

Process of elimination...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes 04avant1.8t, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep exactly what I was going to work on tonight! Ill post what I come up...

7. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04avant1.8t View Post
    Yep exactly what I was going to work on tonight! Ill post what I come up...
    So I decided to start over exactly the way I got the car. No radio and stock climate control unit I proceeded to check every fuse checked fuses under the hood found corroded things nothing that should effect it though yet the tool still beeped at me even when pulled. So then I decided to go from the main wire passenger side foot well to the obd2 plug that I had been using to find the main on that side of the car. It had been checking ok weíll this time continuity did not beep in my meter. So obviously that was bad. Proceeded to check Pin 4 beside it and found that I had continuity into the ground pin from the opposite side of the car. Well there we go. Ran a separate wire from the main feed wire to my controllers and walla the scanner scanned without a hitch.

I primarily work on all kinds of motorcycles but build my own cars. I thought it through similar to trouble shooting at work instead of treating it like my 1978 car lol.. Glad I tested that car today saved weeks of down time!!
    Thank you guys this has been interesting lol.

9. Likes jyoung8607, PetrolDave, Uwe, Dana liked this post