Product Activation/Use issues

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Hi all.
I just purchased a HEX-V2 from USP Motorsports I have installed the proper software (Reinstalled twice) Version 18.9. When trying to activate it I fill out all information and get the popup saying that they will be emailing me the final code and to wait a minimum 20min. I have waited over a week and tried multiple times with no luck to receive the final code to complete my activation. I have watched multiple first start up videos and have reinstalled and restarted my system multiple times without any luck. I have been unable to call the company directly due to my work schedule so any help would be great... at this point I am at a loss :facepalm:

My second issue-
When connecting my unit to the car I got a k1 short to ground - I disconnected the short to grounded wire. Which I did by going to the passenger side under the foot well cover where all the wires meet to go to the obd2 plug. Everything then came back saying K1 OK K2 OK I then went to scan my vehicle a 2004 audi a4 b6 and it is unable to scan or connect to any of the Modules such as the transmission. When running the basic Auto-Scan It comes back with no information other than a elapsed time. Even though the windows pop up and close as if it attempts to read the various modules. I've read other forum posts and other peoples issues but haven't found anything of use.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi all.
I just purchased a HEX-V2 from USP Motorsports I have installed the proper software (Reinstalled twice) Version 18.9. When trying to activate it I fill out all information and get the popup saying that they will be emailing me the final code and to wait a minimum 20min. I have waited over a week and tried multiple times with no luck to receive the final code to complete my activation. I have watched multiple first start up videos and have reinstalled and restarted my system multiple times without any luck. I have been unable to call the company directly due to my work schedule so any help would be great... at this point I am at a loss :facepalm:
Weird! There are no registration requests in our internal system, but I see that the customer-facing server got one on 2019-04-19, which seems to be "stuck" there. I've never seen anything like that before and I have no idea how to get it un-stuck. Will have to discuss that with who know those systems better than I do in the morning.

My second issue-
When connecting my unit to the car I got a k1 short to ground - I disconnected the short to grounded wire. Which I did by going to the passenger side under the foot well cover where all the wires meet to go to the obd2 plug. Everything then came back saying K1 OK K2 OK I then went to scan my vehicle a 2004 audi a4 b6 and it is unable to scan or connect to any of the Modules such as the transmission. When running the basic Auto-Scan It comes back with no information other than a elapsed time. Even though the windows pop up and close as if it attempts to read the various modules. I've read other forum posts and other peoples issues but haven't found anything of use.
B6 A4... Is the radio stock or aftermarket? If stock, does the radio work? Audi radios of that vintage have been known to pull the K-Line to ground if they have no power.

It's not clear to me what you've disconnected.

-Uwe-

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Sounds good strange glitches happen ( just my luck) lol.

Radio is not stock i read the guide posted by ross-tech and checked over my radio that i installed. From what i read is that your supposed to have the k-line on the stock harness not connected to anything if you have removed the stock radio? I checked over my wiring and nothing is connected to my stock k line wire behind the dash. Should i connect it to something? I am not clear what I disconnected either i actually am sitting beside the car as i type this with my laptop. I will take a picture. Its strange i received a short to ground disconnected one by one and it was still saying short to ground. I then turned the car back off unplugged and replugged in the ross-tech device and now no more short to ground....Let me snap a few photos of what I have going on. Thank you for a speedy reply!

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
These are the screens that show when I run a auto scan. and what I end up with after its done.
https://imgur.com/a/jSfcaVB

This is The location that the different K1 signal wires all meet up to then go to the K1 pin out the OBD2 connector. The one connector out from the 6 is the wire to the OBD2 (verified by my multi-meter) I read that disconnecting which ever is shorted will remedy the problem as long as its a system you do not need to scan. These used to be crimped together but I spiced on connectors so I can disconnect and reconnect the different wires to help find my short to ground issue. I previously soldered them all back together and my short to ground issue came back. As it sits right now in this picture I am getting no short to ground code anymore as it seems to come and go... as of now its staying away. But am still unable to access any controllers.
https://imgur.com/a/bJpeL0p

This car has been on a scanner before the previous owner had a nice snapon type of scanner. I have since after working on this car changed my Climate control head unit and installed a aftermarket radio (following a install guide on another forum as there was not one in the car when I bought it).
I am sure this is very confusing ill do my best to reply with information its a new to me car whole reason I need this scanner is I am trying to access my transmission to refill it after replacing the trans..

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, if you're sure the K-Line that's supposed to go to the radio isn't connected to anything then the problem isn't there. My next most likely candidate would be the ABS module.

VCDS isn't finding anything it can talk to. Do you have the K-Line stuff all reconnected now?

-Uwe-

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Yep all wires are reconnected. Now and showing K1 OK K2 OK. Radio, climate, etc plugged in I was wondering if i have some how a bad ross-tech device? Unlikely but I am somewhat skeptical since I even am having activation issues.. Car starts idles revs drives fine. So it does operate fine.

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
I decided to test run it under generic OBDII. Tried on a 1999 grand am and a 2000 chevy silverado both which I know to have working OBDII ports. All of which it failed to connect to. Shows a green light when plugged in same as on my Audi

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Tried on a 1999 grand am and a 2000 chevy silverado both which I know to have working OBDII ports.

That's great but VAG and VCDS never had the "Stuff" to talk to that generation of OBDII on GM cars. They used the other flavor of OBDII which is not implemented in the interfaces we supply. The only indication you would get is that the port had power - the Green LED would light. Test is complete and spot on.

If you want to verify the interface, it needs to be tested on a VAG car that is known to have a working OBDII DLC connector - where K-Lines are functional.

As Uwe said, often the ABS module fails and pulls the K-Line down. Unplugging the module might allow you to talk to other control modules.

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
If you want to verify the interface, it needs to be tested on a VAG car that is known to have a working OBDII DLC connector - where K-Lines are functional.

As Uwe said, often the ABS module fails and pulls the K-Line down. Unplugging the module might allow you to talk to other control modules.

I have no other vehicles that I can scan on any other vag cars right now.. This is the only one I own as of right now near me if it’s absolutely nessecary I can pull some strings and find another Audi to try...

I can try unplugging the abs module after work and attempt to scan it but if the abs module is bad I would assume there would be a dash light on? Which there is not for abs.. If the k line was getting dragged down wouldn’t it come back saying something wrong with k1 when I test it under options? I could be totally wrong.

Is there a test to actually see if the tool I bought works correctly.. I find it very strange that it’s unable to verify it’s self with Ross tech and I also have all these issues following that I can’t seem to find anyone else having... I checked the usb options and drivers everything seems to be correct laptop is running windows 10 and is known to be working properly.

I did just get a email at 5:08 am sending me the rest of the registration information finally so I will punch that in after work also!

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there a test to actually see if the tool I bought works correctly.. I find it very strange that it’s unable to verify it’s self with Ross tech and I also have all these issues following that I can’t seem to find anyone else having... I checked the usb options and drivers everything seems to be correct laptop is running windows 10 and is known to be working properly.
Only on another car that it's capable of communicating with, and a 1999/2000 GM vehicle doesn't qualify because those vehicles did not use K-Lines at all.

If you can't find any other K-Line cars, we can certainly give you an RMA and (re)test it for you.

Did you get your registration code? It looks like that (server side) problem got sorted this morning and you should have it in your gmail.

-Uwe-

PS: Since you're Verified now, I'll move this to Product Support.

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Only on another car that it's capable of communicating with, and a 1999/2000 GM vehicle doesn't qualify because those vehicles did not use K-Lines at all.

If you can't find any other K-Line cars, we can certainly give you an RMA and (re)test it for you.

Did you get your registration code? It looks like that (server side) problem got sorted this morning and you should have it in your gmail.

-Uwe-

PS: Since you're Verified now, I'll move this to Product Support.

Ah I did not know that I figured “generic one” meant exactly that ha.
Sweet thankyou! Yes I received it randomly this morning ima go home and finish the verification and try scanning it with the abs unplugged after work just Incase and see what happens.

I don’t have any other k line cars available I live in the Midwest nearly everyone owns gm cars lol. If you could give me a RMA and have it retested I really believe something funky might be up. I believe the car issue is sorted and should work properly I’m a mechanic by trade and have used other scanners similar so I don’t think there is a download issue or any driver issues.

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
OK so I have some news/progress.
I was successfully able to register my product finally... so thats sorted!
I really wanted to avoid the wait of having to ship my tool out. So I went over to a family friends house only person I know with a audi and is similar to mine (couple years older) she regularly takes it in and has it checked by a local shop so I know this car is accessible. And i was able to successfully scan her audi. - so that is good...

So that brings me back to my car which is clearly the issue now. I then went back to my shop and plugged in to my car and received short to ground errors all over again even with the abs unplugged. Its odd because it seems to come and go...
I am able to get a short to ground code when I plug the battery back in plug my tool into the car and turn the key on. I will then go and shut the key off pull the tool off the car and proceed to unplug all my k-Line connections which I checked are successfully making good connection. And some times the short to ground "will go away". I then go back through the steps and it will be k-line OK scan the car and no data registers. Or i just get short to ground errors right away which is what i am back to now...

So that brings us back to square one. Finding this short to ground issue... I am completely at a loss as to why absolutely not one controller will show up does anyone have a suggestion as where to start? I ran the car while running a auto scan while there was no short issue showing and same results ensued.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would try connecting one "branch" of the K-lines at a time, then try accessing whichever module that branch goes to.

Process of elimination...

-Uwe-

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Yep exactly what I was going to work on tonight! Ill post what I come up...

04avant1.8t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364278
Yep exactly what I was going to work on tonight! Ill post what I come up...

So I decided to start over exactly the way I got the car. No radio and stock climate control unit I proceeded to check every fuse checked fuses under the hood found corroded things nothing that should effect it though yet the tool still beeped at me even when pulled. So then I decided to go from the main wire passenger side foot well to the obd2 plug that I had been using to find the main on that side of the car. It had been checking ok we’ll this time continuity did not beep in my meter. So obviously that was bad. Proceeded to check Pin 4 beside it and found that I had continuity into the ground pin from the opposite side of the car. Well there we go. Ran a separate wire from the main feed wire to my controllers and walla the scanner scanned without a hitch.

I primarily work on all kinds of motorcycles but build my own cars. I thought it through similar to trouble shooting at work instead of treating it like my 1978 car lol.. Glad I tested that car today saved weeks of down time!!
Thank you guys this has been interesting lol.

Back