Audi A6 C6/4F5 3.0 TDI clutch issue

jon_s

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=329541
Hello all!

Yesterday my wife drove our A6 to work (a MY2011 3.0 TDI q @240hk, MT6, 80 000 km / 50 000 mi) when the clutch pedal stopped returning and there was a smell of burnt clutch. The car was towed to an authorized repair shop. The car has a full insurance and that will cover all cost for fixing the issue if it is a material fault (broken spring, leaking slave cylinder..). If its just a worn clutch (due to bad usage, high load etc, does not really matter) it will not cover it.

The cost of the whole operation is ~1630 EUR for investigation to inform the insurance company and 900EUR in parts/labour ~= 2700 EUR/3000 USD. Ok if covered by insurance. Less ok if I have to pay it myself.

The car has not been used to tow anything of significance (a few times/year running garbage at most) nor been heavy loaded (usually just the driver). Its also been used for commuting with some queue driving. Considering the use history, I would not expect the clutch to be worn by now. Any opinions on this? What is the expected milage before worn out of a clutch for this car?

Im also thinking about the symptom of the clutch pedal not returning. What could cause this? I cant see how a worn clutch would be the problem here, rather some kind of broken spring or a broken slave cylinder for example. Anyone with a good understanding of the mechanics of the clutch system operation design that can elaborate on the possible causes of a pedal not returning.

My goal here is to make an informed decision on the probabililty of a worn clutch being the problem (=probably try to consider other repair options) or if I should suspect a materel fault (=let the workshop do their thing and expect the insurance to cover costs)

A recent VCDS-scan is available here https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...esponse-to-keyfob-actions-Audi-A6-2011-C6-4F5

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What is the expected milage before worn out of a clutch for this car?
It's not possible to provide a meaningful answer to that question because so much depends on the technique of the driver(s) and the how they use the car. I had a 2002 A4 with a clutch that slipped under heavy acceleration at less than 10,000 miles, but it was abused at a drag strip. :eek:

I do think that your symptom of the pedal not returning points at something broken rather than a clutch that's simply worn out.

-Uwe-

jon_s

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=329541
Uwe: Thanks for your input. Its inline with my own thoughts. It has not been used for dragrace and has half the milage of your example.

My local "goto guy" audi enthusiast also responded "they usually last much longer than that" when I asked him for SSPs

My current primary option is to let the authorized repair shop do their thing and hope that it's covered by the insurance.

More input still appreciated :)

Back