Thread: Question on two options to buy

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on two options to buy

Looking at buying the Hex-net, but in the faqs section it said it runs off 2.4ghz wifi. Is this going to be a issue for connectivity with everything going 5ghz?

trying to decide between hex net wifi or hex v2
    Last edited by ARC; 04-21-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    You're correct that HEX-NET only supports 2.4GHz WiFi. That said, there's nothing I'm aware of in motion to ditch 2.4GHz entirely, just adding spectrum elsewhere to relieve congestion. 5GHz doesn't penetrate objects and walls as well as 2.4GHz, so a HEX-NET is best off on the lower band anyway.

That's not to say I wouldn't make HEX-NET support dual band if I could snap my fingers and make it so, but single band support is somewhat common in embedded Internet of Things devices, and not in-and-of-itself a sign of obsolescence.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    5GHz doesn't penetrate objects and walls as well as 2.4GHz, so a HEX-NET is best off on the lower band anyway.
    At home we have a router that supports 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 60GHz, and a repeater that supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

What is the relative usefulness of those bands?
    - 60GHz; utterly useless, can't find any devices that support it
    - 5GHz; has a range of a few feet so really only useful if you are in the same room as the router or repeater
    - 2.4GHz; coverage of the whole house and garden -and most importantly from a HEX-NET point of view the driveway and garage

5. Likes Uwe, grant@gendan liked this post