Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orion RED Rockets Today at the CAPE.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like

Orion RED Rockets Today at the CAPE.

Looks like a delay...........hope it makes it up.....

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

15 minutes left in window on 4 minute hold.............

Oh well ABORT TEST.........
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 12-04-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having been to more aborted launches than actual launches at the Cape over the years, this is not surprising. They were only 50% sure of a launch today due to the weather (per an announcement yesterday), so at least they got a chance to find the bad valves and Chinese fishing boats if nothing else.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Success.........we have lift off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So $500 million to launch a capsule (which has no clearly defined missions planned), on a Delta 4 Heavy (which will never be man-rated). This makes sense how?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Based on my daughter-in-law's father's report, the capsule contents is predominantly military in nature. His company made some gizzo gadget for this launch but he cannot speak about it as it is classified. Don't know that this justifies the cost.... Just giving some info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just like watching the rockets go up.........like Estes only bigger.

Nothing makes sense anymore to me.................especially stubborn to embrace new physics laws hopefully soon to change........ I am the crackpot!

But I also posted that a starter should turn 2K RPM yesterday.......I guess the jokes on me

Yay STAR WARS LIVES!

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On its way down............main chutes deployed........

What no streamers?

10. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    So $500 million to launch a capsule (which has no clearly defined missions planned), on a Delta 4 Heavy (which will never be man-rated). This makes sense how?
    T-shirt sales and motel revenue in Florida.

Seriously though, the space shuttle program's longevity and the resulting lack of new challenges for a whole generation of engineers caused a serious brain-drain for people who knew how to build trans-lunar rockets. With China clearly targeting the moon in this decade, I think that it is important for the US to keep those skills alive. Remember, the Apollo stuff was all designed on paper with slide rules, and these new kids are having to scrounge through museum pieces and even ocean salvage to get digital renditions of the old hardware as a starting point. Here is an interesting article that I read a few months ago, explaining how the next generation tore down a flight-certified Saturn F1 engine and what they found:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...-back-to-life/

In particular, I like the mis-drilled hole in the injector plate:

I was thinking that maybe it was done intentionally to break up some resonance by adding just a touch of randomness, but I'm not a rocket scientist.

Yes, Uwe, I get the point about building a bridge to nowhere, but I think that having engineers who know how to build those bridges is important for both our country and humanity in general. Hence, using a non-man-rated booster and cramming many tests into one flight to keep the costs down, while still sending a message to both the Chinese and Mr. Putin that our manned launch technology is more than trampolines right now as they implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Based on my daughter-in-law's father's report, the capsule contents is predominantly military in nature. His company made some gizzo gadget for this launch but he cannot speak about it as it is classified. Don't know that this justifies the cost.... Just giving some info.
    According to the press, the manifest included a Sally Ride mission patch, Captain Kirk doll for William Shatner, moon dust samples, Muppet stuff, and all kinds of other space souvenirs as ballast. Here's an unofficial list:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1...-orion-120314/

ROTFL @ Cookie Monster's "classified" chocolate chip cookie.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Here is an interesting article that I read a few months ago, explaining how the next generation tore down a flight-certified Saturn F1 engine and what they found
    I've read that before... it's just an amazing story, front to back. The craftsmanship, the "archaeology" to rediscover how it worked, and of course the gas generator:

At first glance you might think hey, that's a decent little rocket engine. No. That's part of the fuel pump for one of the actual rocket engines. Just gives you a sense of the absolutely stupid level of energy involved in getting Saturn V off the ground. And, we had multiple people volunteer to be sit on top of it while it was operating.

Jason

13. Likes Jack@European_Parts, vreihen liked this post