Steering Adaptation ?

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
Hi I recently had 4 new tyres fitted to my passat b7 Estate due to the rears being worn on the inside , my front tyres were worn evenly however I wanted a matching set i then had the car Aligned. now the steering wheel is slightly off to the left and pulling that way also even after the second Alignment and wondered if steering Adaptation could cure it ?
Thanks

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi chillout1983,
Take it back and get them to do it correctly. Would you like to say who did the alignment and what tyres were fitted? Not something like "QuackFat" was it?
Regards HMC

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
Thanks for the reply I took it back they did the Alignment again and said it was fine its like they did it when the wheel was off to the left , Now they have said to get my wheels balanced about £25 a wheel even though they had only done around 20 miles on the new Michelin pilots before they did Alignment all round the first time.

I better not say who Aligned it although it wasn't vw I am in Aberdeenshire Scotland

Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Rotate the tires & rims front to rear and see if anything changes. It's pretty rare that a brand-new tire is bad, but it does happen, and a bad tire can cause a pull to one side, so you might as well try to eliminate that possibility.

Balancing the tires isn't going to fix what you described.

As for a steering adaptation: What does your steering angle sensor show with the front wheels pointed dead ahead? What does it show with the steering wheen centered?

-Uwe-

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
Thanks for the reply I took it back they did the Alignment again and said it was fine its like they did it when the wheel was off to the left , Now they have said to get my wheels balanced about £25 a wheel even though they had only done around 20 miles on the new Michelin pilots before they did Alignment all round the first time.

I better not say who Aligned it although it wasn't vw I am in Aberdeenshire Scotland

Cheers
Begging to wonder if my top mounts are worn as I think it has excessive road noise on the left even after fitting a genuine bearing to the front left its the same however it never pulled left until the alignment

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
Cheers Uwe I will get some readings as I now have new interface at last !

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
my bet is they haven't touched the rear & haven't tracked the front to follow the thrust angle !

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
my bet is they haven't touched the rear & haven't tracked the front to follow the thrust angle !

I do have the before and after print out, but I have never been convinced by alignment as I bet I could get a car Aligned at one garage and drive to another and get alignment done again

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
I do have the before and after print out, but I have never been convinced by alignment as I bet I could get a car Aligned at one garage and drive to another and get alignment done again
post a picture of it .............

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643

I'll let them off, they have adjusted the rear according to that report. The front is set on the outer limit & rear spot on (total toe) according to my info per PR code on the report, 0deg10' +/- 10' front & back.
Hard to read the individual settings per side when zooming on picture.

Did they use a steering wheel level & lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position, if so I see no reason for it to pull apart from Uwe's suggestion ?

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
I never witnessed them doing the alignment although it did not pull before the alignment, I will swap wheel tomorrow

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
I never witnessed them doing the alignment although it did not pull before the alignment, I will swap wheel tomorrow

Would a simple battery disconnect allow the steering wheel warning to occur and rectify the steering wheel off center issue once driven ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Would a simple battery disconnect allow the steering wheel warning to occur and rectify the steering wheel off center issue once driven ?
Can't hurt much to try.

-Uwe-

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
Can't hurt much to try.

-Uwe-

Tried but still the same however I watched a video on YouTube on the fact the steering angle sensor should be reset following Alignment.

Well impressed with Hex Net it's rapid at scanning

Back