Limited numbers of VINs?

mobidutch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=207837
I have one of the older HEX-CAN cables. I used it with a 2011 A4, a 2012 A5 and a 2016 TTS. Today I picked up a 2018 S5. I just revisited these forums to read back up on VAG-COM coding, as I want to make a few mods. But low and behold...I never realized there was a VIN number limitation! Is that linked to the VCDS license, or is that stored in the HEX-CAN cable itself? And if the latter...does that mean the cable is now useless, or is there an option to allow for additional VIN numbers? Thanks!

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I have one of the older HEX-CAN cables. I used it with a 2011 A4, a 2012 A5 and a 2016 TTS. Today I picked up a 2018 S5. I just revisited these forums to read back up on VAG-COM coding, as I want to make a few mods. But low and behold...I never realized there was a VIN number limitation! Is that linked to the VCDS license, or is that stored in the HEX-CAN cable itself? And if the latter...does that mean the cable is now useless, or is there an option to allow for additional VIN numbers? Thanks!
All of the older interfaces, such as your HEX-CAN (be that a HEX-USB+CAN or HEX-COM+CAN) support unlimited VINs.

Modern interfaces can be had either limited or unlimited depending on what you need. If applicable, the VINs are stored in the interface.

There might be elements within a 2018 S5 that can't be accessed by your HUC interface, but that's hard to say without seeing an Auto-Scan.

RichS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222890
I also own a HEX+CAN cable and the full version of VCDS purchased and registered from Ross-Tech. from the FAQ's, I understand it to be a non-current interface. Does the registration exist within that dongle, and can I use it on more than one PC? I currently maintain a "wayback" Vista machine for use with Bentley manuals, and another Windows 7 wayback machine for use with VCDS. Can I transfer the use of the registered cable and VCDS software to a newer Windows 10 machine?

By the way, thank you. I use VCDS to vet astounding buys for my family...I found a pampered 1999 VW Beetle with 42,000 miles and one transmission error code MIL light. The dealer's Snap-On tester said it had a transmission sensor error (vague), but the VCDS called out the specific speed sensor - one of three. She now has a cost effective car that will take her everywhere.

The freedom to examine a car before buying it, and the ability to troubleshoot my own codes on my three cars, has enabled a safer and better life for my family. The ability to have unlimited VINs has been really helpful.

Regards,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I also own a HEX+CAN cable and the full version of VCDS purchased and registered from Ross-Tech. from the FAQ's, I understand it to be a non-current interface.
Correct, but that's not a problem unless/until you get a car that's not fully supported by your existing interface.

Does the registration exist within that dongle, and can I use it on more than one PC? I currently maintain a "wayback" Vista machine for use with Bentley manuals, and another Windows 7 wayback machine for use with VCDS. Can I transfer the use of the registered cable and VCDS software to a newer Windows 10 machine?
Yes. The license for VCDS is embedded in your HEX+CAN. You can use VCDS on any PC you wish. VCDS will read the license data from the HEX+CAN when you connect to a car with it.

And thanks for the kind words.

-Uwe-

RichS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222890
You are quite welcome.

Now, can you start a product line that addresses Mercedes-Benz? or Land Rover? My best purchases have been cars that just visited the dealership on someone elses's dime...Seriously, VCDS is a tool that enables survival in times of economic downturn; a resourceful working stiff can always buy an immobile or MOT failed German car for a song.

Cheers,

RichS

Back