Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CP errors - can this sneaky approach work?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

CP errors - can this sneaky approach work?

I've recently been asked by a colleague on another forum to help with his retrofit of the rear-view camera on his mk7 Golf. In the process of trying to figure-out what was wrong, I was introduced to the hypothesis in the webpage HERE which claims to be a method for combating CP errors

What an interesting hypothesis - I thought!!

Whilst the author doesn't say specifically, it seems that the "hack" works on tricking the CP master into believing that the original module is still installed. It appears to do this by copying the identity (and VIN, I assume) from the old module and pasting the data into the new module. The author says that this information rests in the address space hex0640 and hex0770 of the EEPROM (for MMI units)

Has anyone here done this and if so - what were your findings?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Link doesn't open for me, but if You're talking about partial eeprom swap between 3g and 3gp MMI devices, then yes, that works.

It's been used in many 3g to 3gp upgrades.
    Last edited by golfi_vend; 04-20-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

3. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1, link does not work.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Link doesn't open for me, but if You're talking about partial eeprom swap between 3g and 3gp MMI devices, then yes, that works.

It's been used in many 3g to 3gp upgrades.
    golfi_vend: thanks for the feedback. Do you have any advice/info on the extension of the principle for the hex5F module in MQB platform vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by _Val View Post
    _Val: apology for my fat-finger-syndrome error. I had indeed intended to post your link

Don

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally love an emulation loop recorder bus broadcast or isolated transmit & by double switch
    over gateway, how about you?

NO EEPROM NEEDED!

Fun stuff!

Give David what he wants!

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 04-20-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Jack: I say this with the upmost respect - I reckon you are a very interesting man!!!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^ Jack: I say this with the upmost respect - I reckon you are a very interesting man!!!
    In a Chinese curse sort of way.

-Uwe-

PS: Moved to the Bar...
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts, DV52 liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apocrypha times indeed!
    A NostraJackASS prophecy of the auto industry is that very dark times are upon us, when the cars become ZEV and no OBD will be required for conformity, therefore fucking the aftermarket!

Better get your bus traffic and optical decoders in order and become proficient.
    https://hackaday.com/2004/09/05/radi...ialer-red-box/

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 04-20-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    A NostraJackASS prophecy of the auto industry is that very dark times are upon us, when the cars become ZEV and no OBD will be required for conformity, therefore fucking the aftermarket!
    95% of what we (RT/VCDS) isn't OBD that's required by any regulatory agency. You see how much sh^htuff does wrong with cars, and much of the that goes wrong is electrical anyway. ZEVs are still going to need diagnostics, and they're still going to have a data port for it, no matter how much data they also transmit to the mothership via cellular links. I've been going through the latest fault code data, which has historically been a pretty good crystal ball, and I'm not worried at all that those ZEVs are never gonna break.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

14. Likes Jack@European_Parts, jyoung8607 liked this post