CP errors - can this sneaky approach work?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've recently been asked by a colleague on another forum to help with his retrofit of the rear-view camera on his mk7 Golf. In the process of trying to figure-out what was wrong, I was introduced to the hypothesis in the webpage HERE which claims to be a method for combating CP errors

What an interesting hypothesis - I thought!!

Whilst the author doesn't say specifically, it seems that the "hack" works on tricking the CP master into believing that the original module is still installed. It appears to do this by copying the identity (and VIN, I assume) from the old module and pasting the data into the new module. The author says that this information rests in the address space hex0640 and hex0770 of the EEPROM (for MMI units)

Has anyone here done this and if so - what were your findings?

Don

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Link doesn't open for me, but if You're talking about partial eeprom swap between 3g and 3gp MMI devices, then yes, that works.

It's been used in many 3g to 3gp upgrades.

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
+1, link does not work.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Link doesn't open for me, but if You're talking about partial eeprom swap between 3g and 3gp MMI devices, then yes, that works.

It's been used in many 3g to 3gp upgrades.

golfi_vend: thanks for the feedback. Do you have any advice/info on the extension of the principle for the hex5F module in MQB platform vehicles?

_Val: apology for my fat-finger-syndrome error. I had indeed intended to post your link

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I personally love an emulation loop recorder bus broadcast or isolated transmit & by double switch
over gateway, how about you?

NO EEPROM NEEDED!

Fun stuff!

Give David what he wants!

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ Jack: I say this with the upmost respect - I reckon you are a very interesting man!!!:thanks:

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^ Jack: I say this with the upmost respect - I reckon you are a very interesting man!!!:thanks:
In a Chinese curse sort of way. ;)

-Uwe-

PS: Moved to the Bar...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Apocrypha times indeed!
A NostraJackASS prophecy of the auto industry is that very dark times are upon us, when the cars become ZEV and no OBD will be required for conformity, therefore fucking the aftermarket!

Better get your bus traffic and optical decoders in order and become proficient.
https://hackaday.com/2004/09/05/radioshack-phone-dialer-red-box/

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A NostraJackASS prophecy of the auto industry is that very dark times are upon us, when the cars become ZEV and no OBD will be required for conformity, therefore fucking the aftermarket!
95% of what we (RT/VCDS) isn't OBD that's required by any regulatory agency. You see how much sh^htuff does wrong with cars, and much of the that goes wrong is electrical anyway. ZEVs are still going to need diagnostics, and they're still going to have a data port for it, no matter how much data they also transmit to the mothership via cellular links. I've been going through the latest fault code data, which has historically been a pretty good crystal ball, and I'm not worried at all that those ZEVs are never gonna break. :D

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Jack: "dark times"? - not sure why you fear ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicles)? It's the way of the future and like all change processes (it's called "progress"), the only sage response is to embrace the technology.

And, whilst I acknowledge that my knowledge of OBD related stuff pales into insignificance compared to your skills, I'm also not sure why you assume that ZEV and OBD are mutually exclusive (or for that matter - why the two are jointly exhaustive)

Don

EDIT: oops I started writing too soon - b4 Uwe's response. Posted after

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's a dark time because I am seeing less and less people entering or that are in this business and completely lost or refusing to embrace new stuff!

I am not afraid of working on anything or the technology, I am afraid of not getting access to the proper repair instructions or tools in a fair manner.

Now again life is not fair and we must improvise & I am saying that people should become more adventurous than just pulling codes or relying on a google search for the magic answer.

If the OEM can in fact lock someone out entirely & if there are no regs to make them disseminate it, than what?

Hopefully we will see the right to repair act soon.

Uwe do you really think you would of had access to an easily had scan tool if there were no regulations?

Case in point, the thread itself & if it was that easy, it would not exist & we would have full access to all the subsystems such as CP & all Immobilizers or special adaption procedures with VCDS now.

Before OBD2 I had the tools and it was not an easy task to get access too!

Johann which you met once, came to this country for two reasons in 1965, to fly/own planes and get access to owning a Porsche and the actual required repair manuals that he could buy & own so he could work on his own cars.

In Germany back then you could not buy such a repair publication!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It's a dark time because I am seeing less and less people entering or that are in this business and completely lost or refusing to embrace new stuff!
Totally agree about the lack of skilled people entering the auto business.

For me it's really sad, and dangerous, that so many people are now using (and messing with) technology that they just don't understand (you only have to read some of the dumb things that get posted). I reckon the prediction in the Hith Hikers Guide To The Galaxy that humankind will be wiped out by some innocuous disease because of lack of understanding (Douglas Adams' suggestion of lack of phone sanitisers may be going a bit far though...).

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Totally agree about the lack of skilled people entering the auto business.................

I reckon the prediction in the Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy that humankind will be wiped out by some innocuous disease because of lack of understanding (Douglas Adams' suggestion of lack of phone sanitisers may be going a bit far though...).

Dave: My apology, but I couldn't resist making the observation that compared to Jack's feared ZEV vehicles as the portent for "dark times", finding skilled people to service the infinite probability drive (the engine in the un-named space ship in the novel - which I assume didn't have an OBD port) would have been impossible!! ;)

Don

Back