B8S4 - Measuring Timing Chain?

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
I've read a few posts where people have had some timing tensioner issues with the B8S4's 3.0t engine.

Is there a way to measure if you're still in spec with VDCS or using a manual method?

Can you easily tell if your tensioners are still ok?

Thanks!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It is my professional opinion that the only true responsible way to verify tensioners is to do it mechanically with a visual inspection.

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
Jack, I agree with you as a lot more can be broken than a sensor can detect.

Can you share what you would look at just as a guide in the computer?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Nope, I'm not encouraging what I consider a bad behavior.
If that interested go do tests and log a good car and basic setting parameters to establish a journal reference.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Sometimes you can get some info about maybe the timing being out, or an amount of correction it is having to do keep it in time.... HOWEVER.... if there is an issue, a scan tool can't tell you where the point of failure is. It is like watching misfire count... you can see it happening but doesn't tell you why it is happening. So pretty much at the end of the day, Jack is pointing you in the correct direction.

But hey, for giggles and rules... post an Auto-Scan.

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
I'm not having any problems with the car (at this very moment in time...), it just looked interesting to take a look at. I have a S4 and a new Q7 with the 3.0t.

Due to the many reported issues with the tensioners I asked the dealer for a quote to do the timing chain as a preventative measure... well... a new engine is cheaper. Quote was $15K.

Just looking to see what the cars says about it, however letting people know how to do it could cause them to rely on it and it will open a huge can of worms.

Sometimes you can get some info about maybe the timing being out, or an amount of correction it is having to do keep it in time.... HOWEVER.... if there is an issue, a scan tool can't tell you where the point of failure is. It is like watching misfire count... you can see it happening but doesn't tell you why it is happening. So pretty much at the end of the day, Jack is pointing you in the correct direction.

But hey, for giggles and rules... post an Auto-Scan.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'd rather have the new engine!

Change oil more frequently!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have a S4 and a new Q7 with the 3.0t.

Due to the many reported issues with the tensioners.
At least the Q7 will have the later design of chains and tensioners (identical to the B7 RS4) which are much more reliable than those in the earlier B6/B7 S4 - in the 10 years I owned a B7 RS4 and was an active member on several owners site nobody had a chain or tensioner failure.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I've seen an awful lot of chain & tensioner failures and mostly due to poor lubrication quality from fuel in oil and misfire being neglected.

Back