Lots of 2019 GTIs stalling, anyone here encountered it yet?

dietcokefiend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361677
There are a ton of new 2019 GTIs with a stalling issue. The concentration seems to be with the GTI Rabbit, but plenty of S, SE, etc models have it as well. When I say a lot, right now more than 2% of the 3000 GTI Rabbits produced in the US the problem, but if you look at the cars sold and driven vs still on the dealer lots that number is quite a bit higher.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?17888-Optimal-car-environment-to-deploy-changes

A few weeks ago after I purchased a VCDS cable I offhandedly mentioned an odd stalling issue with someones GTI that I read about. From that point I started to collect a little more information from them, quickly found a few more people, and that has since spiraled out. I got a sticky created on Reddit and started a thread on GolfMK7 to create awareness. Currently there are 30+ confirmed GTIs with stalling problems, some hitting as they drive off the dealer lot with 8 miles, most have the issue hitting 500+ miles on the clock. Most seem to be the 6MT transmission, but 3 DSG owners also have it happening.

With the recommendation to get that person to file a NHTSA report, I got the word out on a few forums and a ton of people replied.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/b9cpb7/possible_2019_6mt_stall_issue_your_feedback/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51247

Confirmed owners over 30 now... might be 32-33 people at last count. I've also been able to get most to submit NHTSA complaints, which as of this morning we have 18 logged for the 2019 GTI (and 5 more from people who logged under the 2019 Golf, but mentioned the GTI).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/VOLKSWAGEN/GTI

To bring the focus back on VCDS, there have been a few theories floating around. Two cars have confirmed intake camshaft adjustments stopping or not moving. This was confirmed by looking at the Intake Camshaft Angle Actual vs Specified, where actual was 60 (full lock) and specified was 10. It was so far out that and idle these cars would stall out. Camshaft swaps were tried by the VW QTMs. Other dealers are trying to look at the throttle body, but with the word on the street ramping up it looks like VW's QTMs are trying to coordinate more dealers on the problem. One of the questions that popped up was why this was happening, and if its electrical/software, we have been able to document certain odd adaptations on the 2019 GTI. One member has brought up that his car was left partially in transport mode. CAN gateway had it set to "not active" but Central Electronics had its set to "Active". His car was stalling immediately off the dealer lot, brought it back and they scanned his car and found this setting. Locally my 2019 GTI Rabbit had this anomaly and another 2019 GTI S I scanned yesterday also had the same anomaly.

2019 brought a new ECU into the mix, so there are probably some software quirks floating around. It also brought about the 508 spec 0w20 oil into the mix with some engine design changes. Right now I think a lot of people are hoping this is a software problem rather than a mechanical one.

On my personal front I've sent over my auto-scan and channel map to the Ross-Tech guys from my Rabbit and have another channel map from a 2019 GTI S to share as well for them to work on documentation.

dietcokefiend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361677
Bumping this again to see if anyone else has encountered this madness. Up to around 150-160 NHTSA complaints, lots of GTIs getting bought back now, and still no full resolution from VW beyond buying back affected models. Even hitting the Jetta GLI.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Bumping this again to see if anyone else has encountered this madness. Up to around 150-160 NHTSA complaints, lots of GTIs getting bought back now, and still no full resolution from VW beyond buying back affected models. Even hitting the Jetta GLI.
If they're buying them back, then they don't know what's causing it or how to fix it. Buy-backs are the last thing they want...

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
OP

Auto-scan car real good and archive.
Did you start with unplugging ABS module & to see if the problem for stalling vacates?

Did you take system by system offline until problem vacates to try and isolate?

Then unplug sensor by sensor to isolate in engine until conditions possibly change?
Did you simulate statics of sensors and or log all inputs?
Have ground connections been overlaid?
Has DFM of alternator demand by LIN verified for possible load brake affect on engine by measuring brush inputs & logged?

Have all mechanical aspects been checked for bind or hydraulic lock up from stupid hydrostatic demands or failed to be monitored at a coasting load offset?

dietcokefiend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=361677
If they're buying them back, then they don't know what's causing it or how to fix it. Buy-backs are the last thing they want...

-Uwe-

Yea its it's pretty nuts right now. On the 2019 GTI Rabbit alone we had calculated its around a 15% failure rate at this point, maybe more factoring in models that haven't sold yet. Then expand that out to the GTI S/SE/Autobahn and the Jetta GLI and its pretty crazy overall. VW screwed the pooch with the 2019 drivetrain.

OP

Auto-scan car real good and archive.
Did you start with unplugging ABS module & to see if the problem for stalling vacates?

Did you take system by system offline until problem vacates to try and isolate?

Then unplug sensor by sensor to isolate in engine until conditions possibly change?
Did you simulate statics of sensors and or log all inputs?
Have ground connections been overlaid?
Has DFM of alternator demand by LIN verified for possible load brake affect on engine by measuring brush inputs & logged?

Have all mechanical aspects been checked for bind or hydraulic lock up from stupid hydrostatic demands or failed to be monitored at a coasting load offset?

I did capture an autoscan and full adaptation backup of one local stalling model that I was able to get my hands on. I'm not personally trying to repair these cars though... many of these cars are stalling, literally, right off the dealer lots with 15-20 miles on the odometer. The bulk start around the 500 mile mark, with a lower number starting to stall over 2500 miles.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ I desperately hope that there is absolutely no link between your problems up there in the land-of-the-free and similar issues that we Antipodeans experienced a few years ago that tragically resulted in THIS

Don

m3lv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394166
I recently got a 2019 GTI SE w/ DSG around 01/02/2020. At 270 miles (1st week) while parked with the engine running I got a ton of fault codes and lights go off on the dash. The car ran fine and upon scanning I pulled multiple faults as well as a right rear wheel speed sensor fault. I am actually going in to the dealer in the morning as not long after I experienced the stalling issue while pulling into my neighborhood and stopped at a stop sign. I had to put it in park and restart the car. I was shifting manually at the time which someone cited on another DSG when their car stalled. It occurred again today with 1200 miles on the clock, the car stalled coming to a stop sign. I had been driving, this time in D with oil at temp at 226 degrees. Not sure what the resolution will be as they released an ECM update for cars with manual transmission but nothing to my knowledge for DSG. I'm pretty bummed as my 2016 was great until I totaled it in bad weather. This is my third GTI and all have been solid prior. Even worse, I just bought my Uni Stage 2 tune for ECU and TCU as I had my bolt ons from the wrecked car. I'm not doing anything until things get sorted as I don't want to complicate things with the dealer with a potential TD1.

Back