Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEX+CAN on 2019 e-Golf

Post Thanks / Like
    Window roll is done in BCM correct? Then no, Your cable is not compatible. Newer BCM requires new cable because of new type adaption channels.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

2. Likes Eric, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Window roll is done in BCM correct? Then no, Your cable is not compatible. Newer BCM requires new cable because of new type adaption channels.
    I've recoded a friends 2018 Golf R (MK7.5) with my HEX+CAN without issue. Sure, there are some limitations to what my cable can do, but I think it could accomplish the majority of what I want to recode. Regardless, I've exhausted my other options to get this to work. So, looks like Ross-tech wins and will be getting more money out of me.

I'd consider upgrading my cable, but the only upgrade program available for HEX+CAN is the HEX-NET. I can't have wifi, so looks like I'll just be purchasing the HEX-V2 (no unlimited VIN option??) and keep my HEX+CAN for scanning 2018 and older cars for friends.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toasters View Post
    I've recoded a friends 2018 Golf R (MK7.5) with my HEX+CAN without issue.
    Allow me to wax pedantic, but MK7.5 BCMs don't have coding. All mods are in the Adaption channels, and there are definitely some those that the HEX+CAN can't handle.

So, looks like Ross-tech wins and will be getting more money out of me.
    For the first time since 2010, right?

I'd consider upgrading my cable, but the only upgrade program available for HEX+CAN is the HEX-NET. I can't have wifi, so looks like I'll just be purchasing the HEX-V2 (no unlimited VIN option??) and keep my HEX+CAN for scanning 2018 and older cars for friends.
    We will accept a HEX+CAN in lieu of one of the lesser interfaces in upgrade category 3. That gets you a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149.

There is no unlimited VIN option for the HEX-V2 at initial purchase, but it can be upgraded to unlimited VINs after the fact if you require it.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 04-17-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes PetrolDave, Eric, D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Allow me to wax pedantic, but MK7.5 BCMs don't have coding. All mods are in the Adaption channels, and there are definitely some those that the HEX+CAN can't handle.

For the first time since 2010, right?

We will accept a HEX+CAN in lieu of one of the lesser interfaces in upgrade category 3. That gets you a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149.

There is no unlimited VIN option for the HEX-V2 at initial purchase, but it can be upgraded to unlimited VINs after the fact if you require it.

-Uwe-
    Oops. You're right...adaptation, not coding.

Yes, first time since 2010, but 4th time since 2000. I appreciate you allowing me to complain on your forums about my 1st world problems. I will say this:
    • Your product is reasonably priced given the functionality it provides
    • I appreciate the fact that the Owner/Founder of the company is so heavily involved in the user experience of this product

But, I'm still slightly bitter that I have to upgrade my cable for the 3rd time. I guess it has been 19 years. I wasn't considering the upgrade, but might entertain it if it's an option to get the HEX-V2 with a HEX+CAN.

7. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate you sharing the logic with me as to how Ross-Tech came to this decision. Personally, I think a software block at a new generation car would make more sense (i.e. Only up to Mk7 Golf). It's confusing to me why I can scan one Mk7 Golf but not another Mk7 Golf when the only difference is the 10th digit in the VIN. Is there a possibility that Ross-Tech will reverse this decision and make the software block limited to specific model generations?
    I know I'm coming to this thread a little late, but the 2019 model year line-in-the-sand is probably the best solution Ross-Tech could have chosen.

While you may be familiar with the difference between a Golf 7 and a Golf 7.5, a lot of the customers we speak to would just see it as "a Golf", and wouldn't know the difference.
    When you add to that complications like cabrio models maybe continuing from the previous generation for a few years, or late registered cars that have been sitting on a forecourt with newer models for sale next to them, things get even more confusing.

Is it a perfect solution? No, but it's one that's easy to explain, and easy to check from the VIN of the car, without needing to be a hardcore enthusiast to know the difference.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here...

9. Likes Eric, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post