HEX+CAN on 2019 e-Golf

toasters

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26638
My lease on my 2016 e-Golf is up soon so I just picked up a 2019 e-Golf. I went to do some basic coding tonight and was disappointed to find out that VCDS won't allow me to perform any coding changes. Most of the part numbers between my 2016 and 2019 are the same. They're both MK7's and both run on the same platform. It's clear that this isn't a question of the capability of my HEX+CAN interface, it's just that it has been software limited to not allow it.

I see on the HEX+CAN page that my interface isn't compatible with 2017 and newer vehicles, but it seems to me that only thing keeping me from doing the exact same coding mods on my 2019 e-Golf that I performed on my 2016 e-Golf is a software block.

I've upgraded my interface several times throughout the years (ISO-COM >> HEX-USB >> HEX+CAN) and every upgrade I felt justified as the dongle itself provided new functionality (usb support, CAN support, etc.). Now it seems I have to upgrade, but not because my dongle isn't capable...but because Ross-Tech wants me to buy the latest version.

Am I missing something? Is there a technical reason why my HEX+CAN is capable of coding one e-Golf but not another?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
but it seems to me that only thing keeping me from doing the exact same coding mods on my 2019 e-Golf that I performed on my 2016 e-Golf is a software block.

Now it seems I have to upgrade, but not because my dongle isn't capable...but because Ross-Tech wants me to buy the latest version.

Am I missing something? Is there a technical reason why my HEX+CAN is capable of coding one e-Golf but not another?
Yes you are missing something, there is a very good technical reason.

It's not a software block, it's a hardware reason - the newer cars have modules that use much longer CAN messages which the CAN interface hardware in the older interfaces like the HEX+CAN cannot support.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's not a software block, it's a hardware reason - the newer cars have modules that use much longer CAN messages which the CAN interface hardware in the older interfaces like the HEX+CAN cannot support.
Actually, it is a software block on 2019 models.

As you've mentioned, there is the new CAN addressing scheme used by some modules that precludes the old interfaces from talking to them at all, and then there are also channels in infotainment units and BCMs that are too large to be buffered by those old interfaces (the design of which all goes back 10-15 years now).

Rather than having people struggle with piecemeal limitations (as they've been doing on some 2016-2018 models), we decided to draw the line at 2019; people working on brand-new 2019 model cars need to get an interface that's capable of fully supporting them. Trade-in upgrades are available for as little s $149.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

As you've mentioned, there is the new CAN addressing scheme used by some modules that precludes the old interfaces from talking to them at all, and then there are also channels in infotainment units and BCMs that are too large to be buffered by those old interfaces (the design of which all goes back 10-15 years now).

Rather than having people struggle with piecemeal limitations (as they've been doing on some 2016-2018 models), we decided to draw the line at 2019; people working on brand-new 2019 model cars need to get an interface that's capable of fully supporting them. Trade-in upgrades are available for as little s $149.
So it's a software block applied to avoid confusion caused by some modules/channels not being compatible with the hardware of older interfaces.

So I should have said "It's a software block applied because of a hardware reason"?

toasters

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26638

-Uwe-

Appreciate you sharing the logic with me as to how Ross-Tech came to this decision. Personally, I think a software block at a new generation car would make more sense (i.e. Only up to Mk7 Golf). It's confusing to me why I can scan one Mk7 Golf but not another Mk7 Golf when the only difference is the 10th digit in the VIN. Is there a possibility that Ross-Tech will reverse this decision and make the software block limited to specific model generations?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
those two Golfs are probably just way more different than it appears.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Appreciate you sharing the logic with me as to how Ross-Tech came to this decision. Personally, I think a software block at a new generation car would make more sense (i.e. Only up to Mk7 Golf). It's confusing to me why I can scan one Mk7 Golf but not another Mk7 Golf when the only difference is the 10th digit in the VIN. Is there a possibility that Ross-Tech will reverse this decision and make the software block limited to specific model generations?
I hope Ross-Tech don't reverse the decision - as that will make earlier Mark 7 Golfs suddenly not usable with older cables. Any retrospective change will be a seriously bad idea IMHO.

The important thing to know is that VW made significant changes to the electronics from the 2019 model year, so a 2019 Mk7 Golf is a very different thing to an earlier Mk7 Golf - indeed they are often referred to as a Mk7.5 Golf.

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Can you try older version of vcds software where this was not yet introduced?

toasters

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26638
Can you try older version of vcds software where this was not yet introduced?

I had the same thought. I looked for older versions of VCDS (perhaps 16.8?) but I can't find anything online. I really don't feel like spending $200 for a cable to program my windows to roll up/down with the remote when I already have one that is capable.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Window roll is done in BCM correct? Then no, Your cable is not compatible. Newer BCM requires new cable because of new type adaption channels.

toasters

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26638
Window roll is done in BCM correct? Then no, Your cable is not compatible. Newer BCM requires new cable because of new type adaption channels.

I've recoded a friends 2018 Golf R (MK7.5) with my HEX+CAN without issue. Sure, there are some limitations to what my cable can do, but I think it could accomplish the majority of what I want to recode. Regardless, I've exhausted my other options to get this to work. So, looks like Ross-tech wins and will be getting more money out of me.

I'd consider upgrading my cable, but the only upgrade program available for HEX+CAN is the HEX-NET. I can't have wifi, so looks like I'll just be purchasing the HEX-V2 (no unlimited VIN option??) and keep my HEX+CAN for scanning 2018 and older cars for friends.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've recoded a friends 2018 Golf R (MK7.5) with my HEX+CAN without issue.
Allow me to wax pedantic, but MK7.5 BCMs don't have coding. All mods are in the Adaption channels, and there are definitely some those that the HEX+CAN can't handle.

So, looks like Ross-tech wins and will be getting more money out of me.
For the first time since 2010, right? ;)

I'd consider upgrading my cable, but the only upgrade program available for HEX+CAN is the HEX-NET. I can't have wifi, so looks like I'll just be purchasing the HEX-V2 (no unlimited VIN option??) and keep my HEX+CAN for scanning 2018 and older cars for friends.
We will accept a HEX+CAN in lieu of one of the lesser interfaces in upgrade category 3. That gets you a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149.

There is no unlimited VIN option for the HEX-V2 at initial purchase, but it can be upgraded to unlimited VINs after the fact if you require it.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

toasters

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26638
Allow me to wax pedantic, but MK7.5 BCMs don't have coding. All mods are in the Adaption channels, and there are definitely some those that the HEX+CAN can't handle.

For the first time since 2010, right? ;)

We will accept a HEX+CAN in lieu of one of the lesser interfaces in upgrade category 3. That gets you a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149.

There is no unlimited VIN option for the HEX-V2 at initial purchase, but it can be upgraded to unlimited VINs after the fact if you require it.

-Uwe-

Oops. You're right...adaptation, not coding.

Yes, first time since 2010, but 4th time since 2000. ;) I appreciate you allowing me to complain on your forums about my 1st world problems. I will say this:
  • Your product is reasonably priced given the functionality it provides
  • I appreciate the fact that the Owner/Founder of the company is so heavily involved in the user experience of this product

But, I'm still slightly bitter that I have to upgrade my cable for the 3rd time. I guess it has been 19 years. I wasn't considering the upgrade, but might entertain it if it's an option to get the HEX-V2 with a HEX+CAN.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I know I'm coming to this thread a little late, but the 2019 model year line-in-the-sand is probably the best solution Ross-Tech could have chosen.

While you may be familiar with the difference between a Golf 7 and a Golf 7.5, a lot of the customers we speak to would just see it as "a Golf", and wouldn't know the difference.
When you add to that complications like cabrio models maybe continuing from the previous generation for a few years, or late registered cars that have been sitting on a forecourt with newer models for sale next to them, things get even more confusing.

Is it a perfect solution? No, but it's one that's easy to explain, and easy to check from the VIN of the car, without needing to be a hardcore enthusiast to know the difference.

Back