Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEX+CAN on 2019 e-Golf

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX+CAN on 2019 e-Golf

My lease on my 2016 e-Golf is up soon so I just picked up a 2019 e-Golf. I went to do some basic coding tonight and was disappointed to find out that VCDS won't allow me to perform any coding changes. Most of the part numbers between my 2016 and 2019 are the same. They're both MK7's and both run on the same platform. It's clear that this isn't a question of the capability of my HEX+CAN interface, it's just that it has been software limited to not allow it.

I see on the HEX+CAN page that my interface isn't compatible with 2017 and newer vehicles, but it seems to me that only thing keeping me from doing the exact same coding mods on my 2019 e-Golf that I performed on my 2016 e-Golf is a software block.

I've upgraded my interface several times throughout the years (ISO-COM >> HEX-USB >> HEX+CAN) and every upgrade I felt justified as the dongle itself provided new functionality (usb support, CAN support, etc.). Now it seems I have to upgrade, but not because my dongle isn't capable...but because Ross-Tech wants me to buy the latest version.

Am I missing something? Is there a technical reason why my HEX+CAN is capable of coding one e-Golf but not another?

2. Likes RUZDO.O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

You might want to consider new generation of interfaces, designed for the latest vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toasters View Post
    but it seems to me that only thing keeping me from doing the exact same coding mods on my 2019 e-Golf that I performed on my 2016 e-Golf is a software block.

Now it seems I have to upgrade, but not because my dongle isn't capable...but because Ross-Tech wants me to buy the latest version.

Am I missing something? Is there a technical reason why my HEX+CAN is capable of coding one e-Golf but not another?
    Yes you are missing something, there is a very good technical reason.

It's not a software block, it's a hardware reason - the newer cars have modules that use much longer CAN messages which the CAN interface hardware in the older interfaces like the HEX+CAN cannot support.

5. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    It's not a software block, it's a hardware reason - the newer cars have modules that use much longer CAN messages which the CAN interface hardware in the older interfaces like the HEX+CAN cannot support.
    Actually, it is a software block on 2019 models.

As you've mentioned, there is the new CAN addressing scheme used by some modules that precludes the old interfaces from talking to them at all, and then there are also channels in infotainment units and BCMs that are too large to be buffered by those old interfaces (the design of which all goes back 10-15 years now).

Rather than having people struggle with piecemeal limitations (as they've been doing on some 2016-2018 models), we decided to draw the line at 2019; people working on brand-new 2019 model cars need to get an interface that's capable of fully supporting them. Trade-in upgrades are available for as little s $149.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes Eric, _Val, PetrolDave, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

As you've mentioned, there is the new CAN addressing scheme used by some modules that precludes the old interfaces from talking to them at all, and then there are also channels in infotainment units and BCMs that are too large to be buffered by those old interfaces (the design of which all goes back 10-15 years now).

Rather than having people struggle with piecemeal limitations (as they've been doing on some 2016-2018 models), we decided to draw the line at 2019; people working on brand-new 2019 model cars need to get an interface that's capable of fully supporting them. Trade-in upgrades are available for as little s $149.
    So it's a software block applied to avoid confusion caused by some modules/channels not being compatible with the hardware of older interfaces.

So I should have said "It's a software block applied because of a hardware reason"?

9. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

-Uwe-
    Appreciate you sharing the logic with me as to how Ross-Tech came to this decision. Personally, I think a software block at a new generation car would make more sense (i.e. Only up to Mk7 Golf). It's confusing to me why I can scan one Mk7 Golf but not another Mk7 Golf when the only difference is the 10th digit in the VIN. Is there a possibility that Ross-Tech will reverse this decision and make the software block limited to specific model generations?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    those two Golfs are probably just way more different than it appears.

12. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toasters View Post
    Appreciate you sharing the logic with me as to how Ross-Tech came to this decision. Personally, I think a software block at a new generation car would make more sense (i.e. Only up to Mk7 Golf). It's confusing to me why I can scan one Mk7 Golf but not another Mk7 Golf when the only difference is the 10th digit in the VIN. Is there a possibility that Ross-Tech will reverse this decision and make the software block limited to specific model generations?
    I hope Ross-Tech don't reverse the decision - as that will make earlier Mark 7 Golfs suddenly not usable with older cables. Any retrospective change will be a seriously bad idea IMHO.

The important thing to know is that VW made significant changes to the electronics from the 2019 model year, so a 2019 Mk7 Golf is a very different thing to an earlier Mk7 Golf - indeed they are often referred to as a Mk7.5 Golf.

14. Likes Boki Ar, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you try older version of vcds software where this was not yet introduced?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Val View Post
    Can you try older version of vcds software where this was not yet introduced?
    I had the same thought. I looked for older versions of VCDS (perhaps 16.8?) but I can't find anything online. I really don't feel like spending $200 for a cable to program my windows to roll up/down with the remote when I already have one that is capable.