Thread: Help with 04 Passat TDI intermittent loss of power

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with 04 Passat TDI intermittent loss of power

Hey team, I'm new here so thank you in advance. My son has a 04 04 Passat TDI that he's had about a year. Recently he's getting an intermittent loss of power. Let me explain; when started it runs fine but without fail, it will reduce power within a 2 or 3 miles. Stop and restart it and it's fine again. I purchased the VAGCOM a few months ago but never used it until this issue. Before that, he was using my Launch scanner and made a decision that the MAF was bad based on some codes he was seeing. He replaced the MAF but no difference. Below are the codes from the VAGCOM.

Note the EGR codes. It doesn't appear to be operating correctly but I'm not sure whether that will cause the issue we're seeing. We took it out, cleaned it, and applied 12v power directly to it. It opens fine when we do that but when we connect it back to the engine, it opens a little bit, depending on how much you accelerate. At idle, its closed. The P0407 (signal too low) code was generated by me running it while connector was off I believe.

Also note the MAF sensor. Although replaced, the ECM seems to think its not working properly. Interestingly, when watching it on the graph along side the "air required" vs "Actual" at times they are right together. Then all of a sudden, the actual jumps to double than of what's required. Later it may return to something near the required again.

I found a hole on the small hose going to the turbo right at the top where it connects. I thought for sure that was the problem but replacing the hose didn't make a difference. I can see the Turbo actuator moving up and down when accelerating/decelerating. We've checked all hoses & piping but can't find anything. There MAY be a hose problem that we just haven't found yet.

I clear all the codes, run it down the road until it messes up, then the codes reappear. Seems like its going into limp mode but can't tell why. This is my first experience with VAGCOM so I'm having to learn on the fly. I use a Launch scanner for all my other vehicles.

Code:
    17586 - Linear O2 Sensor; Pump Current 
                P1178 - 000 - Open Circuit
                 Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 1974 /min
                        Torque: 132.0 Nm
                        Speed: 48.0 km/h
                        Load: 30.6 %
                        Mass Air / Rev.: 490.0 mg/str
                        (no units): 0.20
                        (no units): 8.0
                        Bin. Bits: 10001001

16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation 
                P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached
                 Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 3717 /min
                        Torque: 258.0 Nm
                        Speed: 66.0 km/h
                        Load: 100.0 %
                        Voltage: 13.76 V
                        Bin. Bits: 00001000
                        Absolute Pres.: 2376.6 mbar
                        Absolute Pres.: 1734.0 mbar

16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) 
                P0101 - 000 - Implausible Signal
                 Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 1302 /min
                        Torque: 0.0 Nm
                        Speed: 66.0 km/h
                        Temperature: 26.1C
                        (no units): 25.2
                        (no units): 0.67
                        Temperature: 89.1C

16787 - EGR Valve (N18) 
                P0403 - 000 - Malfunction
                 Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 840 /min
                        Torque: 26.0 Nm
                        Speed: 0.0 km/h
                        Duty Cycle: 0.0 %
                        Voltage: 13.68 V
                        Mass Air / Rev.: 545.0 mg/str
                        Duty Cycle: 17.5 %
                        Bin. Bits: 00000000

16791 - EGR Sensor 2 
                P0407 - 000 - Signal too Low
                 Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 147 /min
                        Torque: 182.0 Nm
                        Speed: 0.0 km/h
                        Load: 0.0 %
                        Lambda: -42.0 %
                        Mass Air / Rev.: 650.0 mg/str
                        Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
                        Bin. Bits: 00000000
    Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
    Last edited by Uwe; 04-11-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: CODE tags

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the VCDS forum OP!

Boost leak, intake or exhaust blockage ( example carbon ) , maybe valve train issue such as lifters/cam wear & that should be inspected or turbo or WG or N75 control is kaput?

Post an complete auto-scan & JPPSG
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, what is the N75 control? I haven't learned these cars yet. I'm a Mercedes CDI guy. I need to find a website that shows me parts and diagrams so I can learn about this engine. My daughter has an 05 Jetta TDI also that I need to learn about....

Post Thanks / Like
    Look it up in WD of the RTFB.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Jack. I registered. It looks like its a for subscription site. Is that the only way to go for VW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Jack. I registered. It looks like its a for subscription site. Is that the only way to go for VW?
    Robert Bentley would be okay too for that old clunker!

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/