Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat Science Stuff

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Jack: Of course - in respect of "slide-rulers", any engineer worth her qualification will tell you that (like many things in life), size doesn't matter!!!

We have not met, but I expect that you are disgustingly young (I don't blame you for this disability - it's not your fault), so you probably aren't aware that the quality measure (read, accuracy) for slide-rulers is actually, length.

Rather than a slide-ruler that in your picture is physically "7 foot" (what is a "foot"?), an inventor way back in the 19th century called Fuller decided that the smarter way to increase accuracy was by wrapping the scale spirally around a cylinder. The result was what's called a Stanley-Fuller slide-ruler (Fuller worked for W.F. Stanley & Co). And, I happen to have one of these (rare-ish) devices which because of this forum, I've elegantly posed for you against my trusty HEX-NET cable in the picture below:

Because I suspect that you value "device specs" - the numbers for this type of slide-rule are: single spiral logarithmic scale graduated into 7,250 parts and having an effective length of 500 inches, which is nearly 42 feet (what is an "inch", or "feet" ?).

Not surprisingly and like most modern equipment, the Stanley-Fuller slide ruler was designed with planned-obsolescence in mind - once we reached the 21st century, it no longer works!!

Don

PS: back in the Jurassic period, we called them "slip-sticks"
    Last edited by DV52; 05-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have my dad's "slip stick". It is a K&E (Keuffel & Esser) and he bought it when he was an engineering student in 1940. It is in perfect condition and still in it's original leather case.
    It is one of my prized possessions.

Have Fun!

Don

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack: Of course - in respect of "slide-rulers", any engineer worth her qualification will tell you that (like many things in life), size doesn't matter!!!

We have not met, but I expect that you are disgustingly young (I don't blame you for this disability - it's not your fault), so you probably aren't aware that the quality measure (read, accuracy) for slide-rulers is actually, length.

I'm young at heart Don, however, no longer the kid physically with the retard strength I used to hold & just the plain old retard.

Nope, sizes of things do matter, especially when it comes to eye sight, foresight or the one eye and if size is too great your heart blows out and experience of tools and how you use them indeed matter!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So France is gonna be the first country to actually achieve a net energy gain in a.. "primitive" fusion reactor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Will be used as a proof of concept, scheduled to be put the actual test in 2025. I'll definitely be monitoring this closely.

If successful, just imagine all the things all across the scientific world that could be achieved which were previously impossible due to energy constraints. If you're familiar with the Karashev scale, we're currently at ~0.7, I wonder how much further along this could push humanity. Between Fusion and solar light sails, the future is certainly fascinating.