Neat Science Stuff

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/behemoth-black-hole-found-in-an-unlikely-place

I'm not sure how many here were absolutely amazed by Sunday's announcement from NASA about this:

behemoth_blackhole.jpg

I reckon that it's almost religious - hmmm...........perhaps not !!!

But what is approaching the descent of Moses from the mount carrying them tablets is the fact that here on planet earth, Einstein was able to predict the existence of stuff like this behemoth as well as fairly accurately foretell its size!

Forget the scriptures and the Bible - mathematics is the only true language of what some folk call God- I hope believers will forgive my sacrilegious assertion!!

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ I like Mel Brooks!!

Now I know why the 10 x commandments are so uninspiring as the principal communication between the guy who allegedly created all this stuff and his/her ants (that's the comparative status between us and the big G). Clearly, the really profound tenets (like the cure for cancer and how to make clean energy from cold fusion) are in the tablet that Moses dropped!!:D

Don

PS: I don't normally see that particular spelling of "sir" when referencing me - the more usual spelling I see is "cur"

Last edited:

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524

As amazing as the semi confirmation of the Theory of relativity and the actual existence of black holes in the way we've long believed them to be. I think the one thing that is being more overshadowed and is even more exciting is the method used to capture the photo and what else we can perhaps use this for moving forward. Through algorithms stitching together data from telescopes all over the planet into essentially one giant telescope.

More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-long-baseline_interferometry

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
3.14159 was always "good enough" for me.

But then I'm old enough to remember when engineering calculations were often done nothing more than a slide rule. :cool:

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
3.14159 was always "good enough" for me.

But then I'm old enough to remember when engineering calculations were often done nothing more than a slide rule. :cool:

22/7 was often good enough for a first"rule of thumb" calculation.

P.S. Still got my slide rule :D

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524

I for one am pro genetic engineering. I see nothing wrong with a world full of healthy, good looking people. The morality aspect is overrated. Only real hesitation I have is unforeseen consequences that in theory could persist through the generations. However, one would think that they can edit things back to the way they were if they decide it's undesirable.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Jack: Of course - in respect of "slide-rulers", any engineer worth her qualification will tell you that (like many things in life), size doesn't matter!!!

We have not met, but I expect that you are disgustingly young (I don't blame you for this disability - it's not your fault), so you probably aren't aware that the quality measure (read, accuracy) for slide-rulers is actually, length.

Rather than a slide-ruler that in your picture is physically "7 foot" (what is a "foot"?), an inventor way back in the 19th century called Fuller decided that the smarter way to increase accuracy was by wrapping the scale spirally around a cylinder. The result was what's called a Stanley-Fuller slide-ruler (Fuller worked for W.F. Stanley & Co). And, I happen to have one of these (rare-ish) devices which because of this forum, I've elegantly posed for you against my trusty HEX-NET cable in the picture below:

OHAliMI.jpg

Because I suspect that you value "device specs" - the numbers for this type of slide-rule are: single spiral logarithmic scale graduated into 7,250 parts and having an effective length of 500 inches, which is nearly 42 feet (what is an "inch", or "feet" ?).

Not surprisingly and like most modern equipment, the Stanley-Fuller slide ruler was designed with planned-obsolescence in mind - once we reached the 21st century, it no longer works!! ;)

Don

PS: back in the Jurassic period, we called them "slip-sticks"

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack: Of course - in respect of "slide-rulers", any engineer worth her qualification will tell you that (like many things in life), size doesn't matter!!!

We have not met, but I expect that you are disgustingly young (I don't blame you for this disability - it's not your fault), so you probably aren't aware that the quality measure (read, accuracy) for slide-rulers is actually, length.

I'm young at heart Don, however, no longer the kid physically with the retard strength I used to hold & just the plain old retard.

Nope, sizes of things do matter, especially when it comes to eye sight, foresight or the one eye and if size is too great your heart blows out and experience of tools and how you use them indeed matter!

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524

So France is gonna be the first country to actually achieve a net energy gain in a.. "primitive" fusion reactor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Will be used as a proof of concept, scheduled to be put the actual test in 2025. I'll definitely be monitoring this closely.

If successful, just imagine all the things all across the scientific world that could be achieved which were previously impossible due to energy constraints. If you're familiar with the Karashev scale, we're currently at ~0.7, I wonder how much further along this could push humanity. Between Fusion and solar light sails, the future is certainly fascinating.

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
NASA desperately trying to remain relevant with their throw-away rockets while Musky is busy building real spaceships in a junkyard?
Someone once said that we should let Space-X (And maybe Blue Origin too) handle space exploration, and let NASA handle space/astronomical.... discovery.

Back