I wonder what they used to reprogram the ECU? :confused:

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Not VCDS...

I wonder if it was some sort of home-made equipment? Or one of those handheld programmers? HPTuners' new MPVI II now has Audi support but I highly, highly doubt that is the one they used as that is very new.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Or probably one of the other diagnostic tools that we don't talk about on here :thanks:

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Or probably one of the other diagnostic tools that we don't talk about on here :thanks:

I would not know, vcds straight from Ross Tech being my first experience programming anything on an import

I do have an HP tuners mpvi unit BTW.... I just figured it made more sense to purchase the hex-v2 since it has such a track record and is similar to the factory tools.

:D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can I use VCDS to bring my ecu back to stock?
No.

And exactly what you need depends on what methods were used to install the FOD to begin with. Back when that car was new, some tuners were still soldering in new chips, some even with piggy-back boards, and after that some who just flashed put countermeasures in their code to make it impossible to update the ECU without their proprietary tools.

-Uwe-

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Code:
Wednesday,10,April,2019,09:16:22:25339
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 18.9.1.0 (x64)  HEX-V2 CB: 0.4437.4
Data version: 20190114 DS296.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Dealer/Shop Name: Devil Diagnostics

Mileage: 236680km-147066mi   Repair Order: 

Mode 9 : Calibration Identification

Type 02 - VIN : WA1AV74L17D026123 (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : 4L0910560C  0060 (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : 09D927750FH 0959 (Address E9)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 2DAD45F0 (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 186818EE (Address E9)
Type 08 - In-use performance tracking :
    OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 6212
    Ignition cycle count : 17821
    Conditions completion count / Specified conditions encountered count
         Catalyst monitor bank 1 : 4715 / 5246
         Catalyst monitor bank 2 : 4839 / 5246
         O2 Sensor monitor bank 1 : 2699 / 6161
         O2 Sensor monitor bank 2 : 2729 / 6161
         EGR-VVT monitor : 11299 / 6212
         AIR monitor : 688 / 789
         EVAP monitor : 32 / 939

I googled "09D927750FH" and found out that is the transmission control module?

https://www.wolfautoparts.com/2007-audi-q7-4l-42l-tcu-tcm-transmission-control-module-162454.html

I then googled "4L0910560C" and found that is the engine computer?

https://www.google.com/search?q=4L0...rome..69i57.1055j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

but what do the "Calibration Verification Number" mean?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
but what do the "Calibration Verification Number" mean?
Think of them as a fingerprint or hash or checksum of the software in that module.

-Uwe-

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
No.

And exactly what you need depends on what methods were used to install the FOD to begin with. Back when that car was new, some tuners were still soldering in new chips, some even with piggy-back boards, and after that some who just flashed put countermeasures in their code to make it impossible to update the ECU without their proprietary tools.

-Uwe-

How to I find out what method was used and what I need?

The safety screws on the ECU looked as if they had never been touched, so I am doubtful that anything was modified on that computer module physically.

Hopefully it hasnt been locked because of propriety tools designed to prevent tampering. :rolleyes:

:banghead: I hope I can get this figured out!

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Think of them as a fingerprint or hash or checksum of the software in that module.

-Uwe-

Ah that is what I figured. I am familiar with those on the american domestic vehicles I have tuned.

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
I just noticed something.....when you posted the details after I gave you the VIN.

"Wheels CJ3 Alloy wheels 9J x 19 -- painted, style:- 5 thin spokes"

"tire HL7 All-season tires 265/50 R19 110H xl (NAR)"

This vehicle currently has 20" audi rims on it. I am not sure if they kept the same overall tire diameter. According to my calculations, a 265/50/R19 has a diameter of 29.4".

I just checked a photo I had taken of the tire size, and found that the tires on it are 275/45/R20 Primewell Valera HT.

ACTUAL Overall tire diameter of tires currently installed on the vehicle is: 29.7".

Which is actually 0.3" taller tire size installed on the vehicle!

This makes sense since I did feel like the vehicle was traveling faster than the speedometer indicated when I went on test drives. SO the speedometer could be indicating I am actually going SLOWER than I actually am if the car is not programmed for the difference in tire height.

This could be part of why the transmission acts funny if the overall diameter is not when the computer modules are expecting. (?)

I can also go into VCDS and check what values are in the computer modules, and if they are correct for the actual tire diameter right?

Just something I just noticed while re-reading my posts...:confused:

Last edited:

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Indeed electronically yup, the car itself you have to do an inspection of components.

Indeed FOD electronic tampering

All the above.......

Vehicle Identification No.WA1AV74L17D026123
Modelaudi q7 qu. 4.2
AQ7
Date of production23.06.2006
Year2007
Sales type4LB5EL
Engine CodeBAR
Transmission CodeHPH

Okay on my way home from work I stopped by the parking lot where the vehicle is currently located and crawled underneath her car to take a look-see... I couldn't wait until 8 p.m. I have to know now LOL.

The catalytic converters are present on both Banks, as well as both sets of post cats, including two resonators one for each Bank.

I was able to see both downstream oxygen sensors are present and plugged in.

Both Upstream oxygen sensors are plugged in as well.

So it's looking like the exhaust is stock and the catalytic converters and oxygen sensors are all present and accounted for. Upstream there is two O2 oxygen sensors and downstream there are two O2 oxygen sensors. One upstream and one Downstream for each Bank of cylinders, as expected.

:confused:

Stock resonators and mufflers are also present for what it's worth.

Last edited:

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Yup, so sort out factory stock programming or get second ECU that comports.

First, thanks for the reply my man! :thumbs:

What could I use to return it (the programming) to factory stock programming though? :confused:

So far I have gathered that VCDS cannot do it...I am just wondering what you would do if you had the vehicle on front of you and wanted it back to factory stock programming? AM I at the mercy of others who guard their methods? Or is there some way I can learn this myself?

I can make a lot of free time to accomplish this if need be...if it has a good chance of paying off

(lets ignore that possibility that it is what I call "TunerLocked"... rendering modification impossible without the proprietary tools/software originally used to modify the programming)

I have contacted two shops that claim do ECU repairs on these and one has already responded saying that he thinks he is able to reflash the programming back to 100% stock factory programming. The price wasnt too bad...around $180. Still sucks to have to spend that but if I have to....

I have also looked into what an extra ECU costs and have only found extremely high priced new units for like $1000... or around $500 for a "refurbished" unit that still needs to be "programmed by a dealer". and then found on ebay the $1000 programmed one Immobilizer Solutions sells. :eek:

used ECUs for MANY other Audis are often in the $150 range usually. This one (ECU part # 4L0910560C ) proves to be a little bit harder to find, and more expensive.

I HAVE to have the same part # ECU, correct? Or can I use a 2nd ECU with a different part #? Probably a silly question, but I figured I would ask :)

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
What you choose is up to you & I understand the Immobilizer Solutions guy can be a bit of an asshole.
Especially if his rules are not followed, what a douche bag he is.
Oh yeah that's me!

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
What you choose is up to you & I understand the Immobilizer Solutions guy can be a bit of an asshole.
Especially if his rules are not followed, what a douche bag he is.
Oh yeah that's me!

:D yes I had seen those ECUs on eBay for quite some time now. Before purchasing the vehicle, I did a searching of what different components cost, in case I did need them later, so that I would not be surprised as easily when time came to purchase parts or services. I always do this long before I purchase anything. ;) The ECU was one of the first things I searched for to see what it cost. I do remember very specifically the impressive black, red & yellow colors! ;)

It did take me a couple months to realize it was YOU! lol :) and I guess I can maybe see why some may find you rough around the edges, but you are here to help, and often instructions are not followed (either willfully or negligently)...but at the end of the day an asshole with a handout may be better than a greedy sweetheart, I think. :o Many appreciate your efforts my friend.

I have been reading the ross-tech forums long before actually buying an Audi :) trying my best here!

Last edited:

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
So there is no way for me to flash this back to stock myself? I've been searching on where to begin. I like to learn and think I would find it interesting to see what I am capable of. and what equipment is required. I am sure it is very technical but I still would like to read up on it!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
Not VCDS related...........

You can use a pass-thru interface.........ERWIN & RTFB the learning process away!

Here are some direct links!

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showCheckRequirements.do

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showStepByStep.do

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showFaq.do

http://www.drewtech.com/

https://www.ime-actia.de/index.php/en/passthru-xs-2g.html

Let me know if you change your mind.......

Thanks for those links! I had seen that page about registering to use ODIS and the 1 YR subscription before..I had been wondering about that.

I wasnt sure if other devices could be used besides the actual "VAS6150A/B/C/D Diagnostic Laptop
VAS5054A or VAS 6154 Diagnostic Link Connector" mentioned on the ODIS page.

OK so right off the bat a pass-through device on cursory search I found one for about $500

Then for ODIS you need to complete steps 1-5. I found that for Step 1, it is a $100 application fee to apply for Independent Shop Registration.

I am just a dude at his house who likes to wrench, not sure I qualify as a bona fide shop lol :p

Steps 2-4, I am not sure if there are costs associated with those steps..

but Step 5 Purchase Diagnostic Subscription has two options:

what is the difference between the Flat Rate (W) $110 option and the Flat Rate (Y) $750 option?

and are there any other costs besides the pass-through device and of course the ODIS subscriptions mentioned?

stone4779

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=366133
DOH I get it one is a week and one is a year???

Back